Windows 10: Windows 10 photo app import fails

Discus and support Windows 10 photo app import fails in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Surface laptop was a victim of one of the recent MS updates for Windows 10. As a result I had to take my 256gb iPad Pro with me on holiday. One of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SuperCus, Jan 16, 2019.

1. SuperCus Win User

Windows 10 photo app import fails

My Surface laptop was a victim of one of the recent MS updates for Windows 10. As a result I had to take my 256gb iPad Pro with me on holiday. One of the key reason was to ask as the repository for pictures taken on holiday. I'm home now and I have ~240TB of RAW images and video on my iPad and I want to move them to the new Surface I've been sent.

I have the latest updates on the surface and the iPad. When I searched for the best way to import the content, on both Microsoft.com and Apple.com, they direct me to the import function from Photos. This is the buggiest app I've ever used. On first connection it finds the iPad and loads a small popup of the images on the iPad, no details available.. EVERY TIME I RUN IT it gets the first 623 or 3920 images and crashes. Each subsequent time it either can't find the images it had found on the first attempt or it does but on choosing to import it hangs and downloads nothing. I found that I was then able to import just 200 images before it fails but not nothing. I'm been trying to do this for 2 days now....

Given I have a $3000 Surface and $1800 ipad from two companies that go back and forth on 'most valuable' is a f*&^ing joke! I've seen MANY other comments and requests for help on this and none have a resolution. This is just unacceptable. I'm already dreading spending another few hours on the phone with a MS tech asking me to run the same diagnostic tests that have been run 4+ times costing me time.

I write this not expecting to hear from MS or have it resolved. Microsoft you're a joke, you will not get my business again. Next stop Linux.

:-(

:)

SuperCus, Jan 16, 2019
  2. Javo Win User

iPhone Photos import to Windows 10 PC not working

I would like to troubleshoot my inability to import photos from iPhone to Windows 10. I am an advanced user struggling to find relevant help on the internet since most results are unusable masked adverts for paid third party software.

I want to use it the following way

1. connect iPhone via USB to my Windows 10 PC
    2. open Microsoft "Photos" app
    3. click in the upper right on import > add from the device over USB
    4. select all photos and click import

4th step is where it fails, with no usable message.

• I have set the device as trusted on iPhone
    • I mostly don't see it in My Computer, therefore I cannot just copy
    • I tried uninstalling every driver and iTunes software
    • Despite not being visible in Windows Explorer, iTunes can always access the contents with no issue
    • it has a tiny moments when it starts working, but overall import fails sooner or later and never copies all 3k photos. Mostly MSPhotos don't show any content, just failure message, sometimes it shows it's content and acts as I can select what to import, but as described fails sooner or later
    • iTunes can successfully copy entire phone.

Other attempts
    • I tried multiple free 3rd party SW, all of them either failed or seemed like to be usable only after buying their extended version
    • I tried using iTunes for Syncing the Photos
      • I maybe don't know how to use it, or it is faulty too. But I've set the directory where my Photos should be synced, but sync seems to just backup the phone and creates tiny 'Photo Database file', but no photo actually gets copied onto PC.

3. Mala_S Win User
    Windows 10 Photos - Importing from iPhone no longer sees previously imported photos.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

The Photos app in Windows 10 usually is able to distinguish the new photos and duplicates. This concern could be caused by incorrect settings or corrupted files. Kindly follow the below mentioned steps to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Reset Microsoft Store.

I would suggest you to reset Microsoft Store initially, and sign in to Store and check for latest updates related to Store. After installing the latest updates, you may try to import pictures.

Step 2: Uninstall Photos app via PowerShell and then install it.

If the Photos app causes an error, you can repair it using PowerShell.

• Click Start, type powershell, right-click Windows Powershell and choose
      Run as Administrator.

• Execute the following command and press
      Enter: Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

After uninstalling the Photos app, you may go to Store and re-install the application.

Additional Information: You may also go through the article provided by
    Andre Da Costa on importing your
    Photos in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 photo app import fails - Similar Threads - photo app import

2. Fix Photos app keeps failing or freezing when importing photos

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Photos app keeps failing or freezing when importing photos: [ATTACH]Photos is a great app from Microsoft that lets users manage photos and videos on their Windows 11/10 computers. In addition to managing images and videos, Photos also lets users edit images and create videos. It also has an option to import images and videos from the...
  3. A simple Windows photo import app?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    A simple Windows photo import app?: Is there a simple Windows photo import app that only import videos and photos from an certain folder or SD camera on a Android smartphone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-simple-windows-photo-import-app/d3ea3b0d-ad5b-4c8c-9f35-b2b111aa839e
  4. Failing import of pictures via Windows 10 photos app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failing import of pictures via Windows 10 photos app: Every time I'm importing pictures from my memory card the experience straight up sucks. It usually recognizes my card and starts looking for the pictures to import. Sometimes it freezes before it gets to the selection screen, which is bad enough but not the main issue. When...
  5. cannot import photos with the windows photos app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot import photos with the windows photos app: hello, so the photos app earlier used to work fine. now it fails to import photos 1) the pc does not recognise my apple iphone instantly,(new one has this problem too, so i can confirm it is not just because of the iphone) but rather takes time to recognise it's folders....
  6. Photos app not importing

Photos app not importing: Ive used the photos app in the past and its worked all the time. Now whenever i try to import photos from my iphone and ipad it says “something went wrong”. It does not have an error code. i have tried changing the port that the cable is in, ive changed the cables, ive...
  7. Windows 10 Photos app lost imported photos

Windows 10 Photos app lost imported photos: Hello, I just recently used the Photos app to import a bunch of raw photos from a DSLR which I was going to use for a project. After the import was complete, I formatted the memory card on my camera to save space. However, when I go to the photos app now, I cannot find...
  8. No import option in Photos App

No import option in Photos App: As it the title, I have no option import displayed in Photo App, has anybody experienced anything like that and know how to fix this? Thanks Adam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-import-option-in-photos-app/a5775f41-d8ba-487c-86a7-2b999ec1062a
  9. Windows 10 photo app import fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 photo app import fails: My Surface laptop was a victim of one of the recent MS updates for Windows 10. As a result I had to take my 256gb iPad Pro with me on holiday. One of the key reason was to ask as the repository for pictures taken on holiday. I'm home now and I have ~240TB of RAW images and...
  10. Photo app import issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo app import issue: When I plug my iPhone in, my computer usually tries to import all the images and video files from the iPhone irrespective of those that have been imported before. Sometimes it looks like it is trying to import broken images or corrected versions but turned upside down. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 photos app fails to import

2. import photo in windows photo app fails on 1909