Windows 10: Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead -...

Discus and support Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead -... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I already tried ALL the suggestions related to the original threads on this and none of them worked. All of a sudden I only get get icons instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mary L59, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Mary L59 Win User

Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead -...

I already tried ALL the suggestions related to the original threads on this and none of them worked. All of a sudden I only get get icons instead of thumbnails. This never happened before and seems to have started shortly after the recent windows update. What is going on with Windows 10. It's a mess now. The more updates, the worse it gets. So what do I do now? And yes I already unchecked the show icons instead of thumbnails button. And cleaned and reset the thumbnail cache.

:)

Mary L59, Feb 26, 2019

2. Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead - Need help please

Hello,

I am having a problem where the photos on my system show up as icons instead of thumbnail previews like they used to in Windows 7. I am a help desk tech and I have checked all the folder settings within my system and I cannot get the photos to change from
    being generic icons and show up as photo thumbnail previews. Can you please shed some light on this problem? I have googled this problem and I can see I'm not the only person having this problem but the only suggestions are to make certain I have the settings
    correctly set which I do. Just to be clear this is not a problem I am having with anything to do with any app it is a system setting where I open the folder that contains my picture files and instead of seeing photo preview thumbnails I see generic looking
    icons. I am talking just viewing the files inside a normal Windows file explorer folder window view.

Thank you....

Wonder Woman

Princess Wonder Woman, Feb 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working at desktop - getting generic icons showing up instead - Need help please

Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working at desktop - getting generic icons showing up instead - Need help please

Its working fine inside folder but at desktop only icon showing i tried folder option but i thing it is for folders only. but what about DESKTOP images and photos. It was fine but now i getting only ICONs.

Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead -... a5367bae-1f98-4da6-9384-25e16ede20d1?upload=true.png

Rehman.Farid, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead -...

Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead - Need help please

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if that helps.

• Open This PC on Taskbar.
    • Click or Tap on Pictures folder.
    • Click on View.
    • Click or tap on Options and select Change folder and Search options.
    • Click on View and uncheck Always show icons, Never thumbnails.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead -... - Similar Threads - photo thumbnail preview

2. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  3. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  4. Thumbnails/Icons not previewing or showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnails/Icons not previewing or showing up: Hello, I can't see my thumbnail previews/icons in my folders. I have tried disk cleanup, running command prompt, restarting my laptop, using winfilefolder.diagcab and running that, I've tried turning 'always show icons never thumbnails' on and off/and keeping it unchecked and...
  5. Generic icons showing instead of pictures

Generic icons showing instead of pictures: I am a Windows 10 user. Some of the icons are not showing pictures on the thumbnails, just a generic icon. Other images are showing. It's a mixture. The correct view options are checked/unchecked and the problem persist on any size icon. Can you help me with this issue?...
  6. How to show thumbnails instead of icons?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to show thumbnails instead of icons?: How do I show thumbnails instead of icons? I have it configured under VIEW. And also under PERFORMANCE OPTIONS. However it doesn't work. I still get icons and not thumbnails. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows 10 pictures not showing previews/thumbnails and instead showing icons? Check this...

Windows 10 pictures not showing previews/thumbnails and instead showing icons? Check this...: Hello, I wanted to share a personal problem that I couldn't solve for a while now but now have; The problem was that I couldn't view any pictures without their previews/thumbnails showing- Instead an icon would pop up Below there is an example of what would appear instead...
  8. No icons and Thumbnail instead of Preview

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No icons and Thumbnail instead of Preview: Hello. Most of my app/software icons have disappeared. Also most of the images show only thumbnailno previews. My folder options are correct. I tried what I found searching but non have worked for me yet. I hope you can help me! Left image is icons missing right one is...
  9. Not all photo thumbnail previews showing - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not all photo thumbnail previews showing - Windows 10: basically only some files will show their previews and I've already tried resetting the thumbnail cache and checking if show thumbnails instead of icons was unchecked; which it wasn't. I've been having this issue for a while now and its been making it harder to find things as...
  10. Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Want jpg icons to show image thumbnails instead of generic icons: Hi: Since updating to Windows 10, whenever I open file folders to view jpgs, the files' thumbnails are a generic blue mountain icon instead of thumbnails of the images themselves. How do I get the icons to go back to being thumbnail images again? Is there a command or menu...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i keep getting blue mountails how to get thumbnails only

2. why are my pictures showing up as generic things rather than previews of the pictures

3. how to see images instead of icons

4. pictures showing mountains instead of thumbnails,
  5. showing thumbnails instead of icons