Windows 10: Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition

Discus and support Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have encrypted a partition using both bitlocker and veracrypt and I noticed that even after locking the partition and unmounting it, for both... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Youness Youness_038, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition

Hi, I have encrypted a partition using both bitlocker and veracrypt and I noticed that even after locking the partition and unmounting it, for both bitlocker and veracrypt, the photos app can still open the pictures from "recent files" .

I tried to open the pictures using other apps but it doesn't work. I tried also to open text files but it doesn't work.

So i think there is a problem with the photos app, maybe it stores the pictures somewhere so that it can open them after unmounting the encrypted volume.

oddly when I open pictures located on a usb flash drive encrypted with bitlocker, photos can't access them from recent files after locking the usb drive. So the problem occurs only with encrypted partitions in the hard drive and only with the photos app.

Thank You

:)

Youness Youness_038, Nov 8, 2019

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Nov 8, 2019
  3. modder Win User
    Software encryption

read this:
    The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file system driver with filesystem-level encryption available in Microsoft Windows (2000 and later) operating systems, except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. The technology transparently allows files to be encrypted on NTFS file systems to protect confidential data from attackers with physical access to the computer.

User authentication and access control lists can protect files from unauthorized access while the operating system is running, but are easily circumvented if an attacker gains physical access to the computer. One solution is to store the files encrypted on the disks of the computer. EFS does this using public key cryptography, and aims to ensure that decrypting the files is in theory impossible without the correct key. However, EFS is in practice susceptible to brute-force attacks against the user account passwords. In other words, encryption of files is only as strong as the password to unlock the decryption key.

read more ...wikipedia Encrypting File System - Wikipedia

modder, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition

File Encryption

Yes,

That is indeed the way to do it. Please observe the following:

• Turning off the encryption setting does not remove encryption
    • Hard resetting your device destroys the only copy of the encryption key, and thus your access to these precious pictures.
    I would suggest copying them reguraly, or you can automate this using Microsoft's MyPhone service (free).

Jaap

Eigenaar van http://www.modernnomads.info Beheerder van http://wiki.pdatotaal.info

Jaap v. Ekris, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition

1. Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition - Similar Threads - photos app access

2. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  3. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  4. Mandatory access control for self encrypting disk partitions LUNs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mandatory access control for self encrypting disk partitions LUNs: I want to use a self encrypting disk on windows with at least one encrypting partition. I want to restrict access to the encrypted partition to a single service account. I think that the partitioning should be pretty automatic with the windows disk management tool but I am...
  5. Accessing encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing encrypted files: I have files on my backup hard drive which I cannot access - they have little padlock symbols on them. After trying many different things, I get two messages: 1. There is a problem decrypting the files - access denied or words to that effect 2. "You need administrator...
  6. Windows 10 Access DB Encryption

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Access DB Encryption: Windows 10 Access DB: The system comes back and tells me I cannot use the DB encryption because there is another user on the system or I do not have permission to "open exclusively". There is only one user on the system me and what does it mean to not have permission to "open...
  7. CAN NOT 'ON' ENCRYPTION FOR A FOLDER

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CAN NOT 'ON' ENCRYPTION FOR A FOLDER: I AM BUYING A HP LAPTOP WITH WINDOW 10 BUT I CAN'T ON/OPEN ENCRYPTION BUTTON FOR ANY FOLDER. I THINK ,I DON'T HAVE BITLOCKER INSTALLED. ABOUT SYSTEM: EDITION : WINDOW 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE. VERSION : 1903 RAM : 4 GB 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. NEED HELP...…. ....
  8. Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...

Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...: I do not use a smart card. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-file-system-you-are-encrypting-a-file/a56f8b42-45e4-4d23-a119-5b4ee55f305e"
  9. Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption

Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption: A laptop with a 512GB SSD, partitioned into (about) C: 125GB (for Windows) and D: 375GB Windows 10 x64 Pro. Data files, such as those of Office 365, will be stored on the D-partition. I would like to have that partition encrypted/password protected. After booting Windows and...
  10. Windows 10 User Profiles on different encrypted Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 User Profiles on different encrypted Partition: Hey everyone First of all I want to thank Kari for this (Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) tutorial and at the same time curse at him/her making me have to deal with this broken ass Operating System Windows 10. :P The tutorial is the reason...