Windows 10: Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in...

Discus and support Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, it is well known that thumbnail generation in Windows Explorer can be turned off by enabling: "always show icons, never thumbnails". This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by 3lectr0, May 30, 2019.

1. 3lectr0 Win User

Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in...

Hello,

it is well known that thumbnail generation in Windows Explorer can be turned off by enabling:

"always show icons, never thumbnails".

This way no thumbnails will be stored in files like:

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db

However, it seems that the Photos app in Windows 10 uses the same thumbcache_*.db files

to store its own thumbnails. And it does not even care about the Explorer setting above,

so it even generates thumbnails when the above setting is enabled!

This is a huge privacy issue as nobody expects that a Universal Windows Platforms (UWP) app like

the Photos app generates thumbnails in a legacy Explorer folder (rather than using a folder in

C:\Users\SomeUser\AppData\Local\Packages\* as for example the Contacts app does).

IMHO Microsoft should at least make this behavior visible and allow to turn thumbnail

generation off in the Photos app settings.

Best regards

:)

3lectr0, May 30, 2019
  2. quarkrad Win User

Photos App - No Thumbnails

On my neighbour's machine (that I did a clean install on) when they load pictures from their camera, and the Photo app launches, all the photos/pictures shown in the Photo app are blank - i.e. the thumbnails are not showing. On this machine thumbnails are set to show and if you look at, for example, the Pictures folders all pictures are shown as thumbnails (via explorer). The set up of this machine is the same as mine and on my pc the Photo app icons do show as thumbnails. I have been trying to turn my Photo app thumbnail preview on and off but do not know how to do it. My logic being of I can turn thumbnails on and off in the Photo app I could get to the route of my neighbour's problem.

quarkrad, May 30, 2019
  3. Photo thumbnail picture

If you do the suggestion by Cyberdesigner and they still show as icons, check your performance settings and make sure "show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked.

Right click Start, select System -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced tab -> Performance - Settings

Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in... [​IMG]

fracking4oil, May 30, 2019
  4. Billb1111 Win User

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Thanks for your suggestion.

As "recommended for Windows 10", "Photos" is the default app for "Photo viewer" (.jpg isn't really listed as the file extension in the settings).

Do you have another app you would suggest?

By the way, my photos open and display just fine, the issue is the general absence of thumbnails in File Explorer.

Billb1111, May 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Photos app generates thumbnails in... - Similar Threads - Photos app generates

2. Photos app - thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos app - thumbnail: I used to be able to select resize and the thumbnail option was always there, now it just displays pixel or percentage?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-thumbnail/a38f53d8-6bcf-4d30-87e5-a1e5c813803f
  3. Photos app - thumbnail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app - thumbnail: I used to be able to select resize and the thumbnail option was always there, now it just displays pixel or percentage?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-thumbnail/a38f53d8-6bcf-4d30-87e5-a1e5c813803f
  4. How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...: When I view a photo in MS Photos for Windows, a row of thumbnails appears across the lower part of the photo. These thumbnails block part of the photo from view. They are a nuisance and I want to turn them off. How can I do this?...
  5. How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...

How to get Microsoft Photos app for Windows to stop generating and displaying thumbnails...: When I view a photo in MS Photos for Windows, a row of thumbnails appears across the lower part of the photo. These thumbnails block part of the photo from view. They are a nuisance and I want to turn them off. How can I do this?...
  6. Pre-generate image thumbnails for remotely stored photos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pre-generate image thumbnails for remotely stored photos: I have gotten kind of tired of running my own server for file storage and want to move it to a non Microsoft/Google/Amazon/Apple encrypted storage solution located outside the EU and US. The only thing stopping me at the moment is the large amount of photos my girlfriend...
  7. Windows 10 2004 generating PNG thumbnails is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 2004 generating PNG thumbnails is very slow: There is a problem in Windows 10 2004 - Explorer generates thumbnails for png's in a very long time. Other file formats are ok, even heavy files like dng are show within fractions of a second. The problem has appeared after installing 2004. Is there a fix for this?...
  8. Video Thumbnails not Generating in OneDrive folder

Video Thumbnails not Generating in OneDrive folder: Thumbnails for videos in all folders under OneDrive - Personal do not display. Thumbnails for images and other files show up perfectly and everythingshows up when not under my OneDrive - Personal folder. I haveLarge Thumbnails on, Always ShowThumbnails, Never Icons on, and...
  9. Windows 10 stopped generating video thumbnails

Windows 10 stopped generating video thumbnails: Hi. A couple of weeks ago my pc stopped generating video thumbnails. It still generates them for other media photos. Things I've tried: - Disabling and enabling "Use thumbnails not icons" in folder options - Disabling and enabling "Use thumbnails not icons" in...
  10. Photos App - No Thumbnails

Photos App - No Thumbnails: On my neighbour's machine (that I did a clean install on) when they load pictures from their camera, and the Photo app launches, all the photos/pictures shown in the Photo app are blank - i.e. the thumbnails are not showing. On this machine thumbnails are set to show and if...