Windows 10: Windows 10 Photos app rotates vertical CR2 image files

Discus and support Windows 10 Photos app rotates vertical CR2 image files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Alright so ive been researching this problem for days with not only no solutions being found, but I cant even find anyone with the same problem. Ill... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnthonyUrso, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Photos app rotates vertical CR2 image files

Alright so ive been researching this problem for days with not only no solutions being found, but I cant even find anyone with the same problem. Ill start from the beginning.

step 1: transfer raw CR2 files from my camera onto my PC so I may go thru them.

step 2: Open files in Photos App.

now this is where it goes wrong.

Pictures that were shot in the horizontal orientation stay un changed and in the proper orientation. But pictures shot in the vertical orientation get flipped to horizontal shortly after opening the file.

The picture thumbnails are all correctly orientated in the file explorer and when i go into edit mode like when cropping a photo in the photos app they are again correctly oriented.

To avoid any miss interpretation im providing a link to a you tube video where I show my screen so we can get straight to the problem

Any help is wanted!!! this is super annoying!!!!.

https://youtu.be/fM0JixaPJcY

:)

AnthonyUrso, Apr 11, 2019

2. .CR2 raw files not opening

Hi,

We may open .cr2 files using the Photo file. We need additional information to help resolve your concern. Are you getting any error message when opening a .cr2 file format? If yes, we recommend setting a default program to open the file. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings.
    • Click Apps.
    • Click Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Locate .cr2, then select Photos as the default app.

Windows 10 Photos app rotates vertical CR2 image files 422ce918-8282-47eb-9d60-3d2b2c75bdad?upload=true.png

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Apr 11, 2019
  3. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

Hi Sandeep

1. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue? - no, none. i carry out all updates but made no other changes.

2. Were you able to use the rotate feature normally, prior to this issue? - the issue isn't that I can't use the rotate feature. the issue is the app is rotating the images automatically.

3. Is this issue specific to photos in CR2 file format? - yes, it seems to be

Andy Bertaut, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Photos app rotates vertical CR2 image files

Auto Rotate in Photos App

Every time I open portrait oriented photos with the Photos app, it automatically rotates the photo to landscape. When I try to rotate it back to its original portrait orientation, it flips it upside down no matter how many times I try. I then attempt to
    open the same photo with Windows Photo Viewer or FastStone Image Viewer and the programs are unable to rotate the photo at all. The only application that is then able to change the orientation of that same photo is the Photos app, however I run into the same
    problem yet again. I now have numerous photos that are in the wrong orientation or flipped upside down with no way to rotate them back to normal. This happens with JPEGs, DNGs, CR2s, and just about any type of photo.

James.Spencer, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Photos app rotates vertical CR2 image files

1. Windows 10 Photos app rotates vertical CR2 image files - Similar Threads - Photos app rotates

2. CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-is-distorting-my-raw-cr2/3b43ad0c-da4c-4919-a2c5-f68732123298?page=2The distortion sometimes feels like improves the look of the picture like in this above case, but the rest of the timesalmost all the...
  3. CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-is-distorting-my-raw-cr2/3b43ad0c-da4c-4919-a2c5-f68732123298?page=2The distortion sometimes feels like improves the look of the picture like in this above case, but the rest of the timesalmost all the...
  4. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  5. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  6. Windows 11 Photo app flips vertical CR2 image files to landscape

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Photo app flips vertical CR2 image files to landscape: So far I tried uninstalling the photos app with PowerShell. I tried using the Legacy Photos app.Pictures flip after the raw file loads in completely.Pictures that were already landscape stay that way....
  7. Windows 11 Photo app flips vertical CR2 image files to landscape

Windows 11 Photo app flips vertical CR2 image files to landscape: So far I tried uninstalling the photos app with PowerShell. I tried using the Legacy Photos app.Pictures flip after the raw file loads in completely.Pictures that were already landscape stay that way....
  8. Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape: Since the latest update of the Photo App (2019.19021.18010.0) raw image files which are originally in portrait format are automatically rotated to landscape view and the manual rotation is disabled. This only applies to raw images and not to formats such as .jpg or .png. The...
  9. windows 10 photo app not supporting cr2 files why?

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 photo app not supporting cr2 files why?: why won't windows 10 show cr2 raw photos ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-photo-app-not-supporting-cr2-files-why/b7a14adb-fbc3-415f-a8ce-9e65f59465de
  10. Rotate Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rotate Image in Windows 10: How to: Rotate Image in Windows 10 How to Rotate an Image in Windows 10 Windows 10 has a built-in feature to allow you to quickly rotate an image if needed. You can rotate left to turn the selected image 90 degrees to the left. You can rotate right to turn the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 app photos cr2

2. rotate raw photos in photos app windows 10

3. microsoft photo viewer cr2 files portrait flips to horizontal