Windows 10: Windows 10 - Photos - app running in background keeps network pictures open and prevents sleep

Discus and support Windows 10 - Photos - app running in background keeps network pictures open and prevents sleep in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've had this problem for a while on my old computer, and I'm running into it on a brand new build, so I've narrowed the problem down to the Photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Random Rage, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - Photos - app running in background keeps network pictures open and prevents sleep

I've had this problem for a while on my old computer, and I'm running into it on a brand new build, so I've narrowed the problem down to the Photos app.

If the Photos app is allowed to run in the background, it will often get stuck scanning my photos on my network share drive, and leave the files "open", which will prevent sleep. If I open up powershell and do powercfg /requests, it shows photos in a particular folder fairly frequently. This folder is very old and hasn't been updated in a while, so I don't know why it really likes this folder, but it often gets stuck on these pictures.

I tried renaming and moving some of the photos it got stuck on last time, and it just got stuck on a different photo within that folder, so I'm still not sure what the problem is. Anyway, when I kill the Photos app using the settings panel or task manager, the reading of files stops and my computer can rest again.

This is incredibly irritating and I don't want to get rid of the Photos app, but I will if this is the only way to make my computer sleep properly.

:)

Random Rage, Apr 17, 2019

2. Windows 10: Photos App is not working while opening pictures.

Hi Lowana,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if photo app is corrupt or there is change in photo app settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Have you tried to checked the issue by opening pictures present in the external USB drive?
    • Have you made any changes in the photo app prior to the issue?

I recommend you to follow the steps below to run Windows Store apps troubleshooter and also check if you are able to access photos app through search bar.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Windows Store apps troubleshooter from the below Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: I recommend you to check if you are able to access Photos app through search bar.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Photos" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then check if you are able to open the app.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with opening pictures through photos app, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Photos app hogging resources in background

Ian, this suggestion was posted on my other thread:

We understand that not all of users are using the Photos app on Windows 10, if not very often. If you don't want this app to be running on background when not in use, there is a way you can turn this
    off. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• In Cortana, type Privacy Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Look for Background apps.
    • Look for Photos in the list.
    • Flip the switch to Off.
    • Restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, you can check if the Photos app is still running in background. You can use these steps to turn off any running background applications as it is not limited to Photos
    app alone. In this way, you can conserve a lot of power and process allowance.

I just followed these instructions, and now have to wait to see if it works. I'm hoping it solves your problem, too!

BarryG_961, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Windows 10 - Photos - app running in background keeps network pictures open and prevents sleep

WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Photos - app running in background keeps network pictures open and prevents sleep

1. Windows 10 - Photos - app running in background keeps network pictures open and prevents sleep - Similar Threads - Photos app running

2. Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...: Hi everyone, Right after installing Windows 11, every time I search up a photo on my computer, instead of opening in the Photos App, it opens in "Print Pictures." Photos is set as the default app for opening image files too. I have no idea why this is happening, as it opens...
  3. Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...: Hi everyone, Right after installing Windows 11, every time I search up a photo on my computer, instead of opening in the Photos App, it opens in "Print Pictures." Photos is set as the default app for opening image files too. I have no idea why this is happening, as it opens...
  4. Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...

Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...: As the title says, every time I search up a photo on my computer, instead of opening in the Photos App, it opens in "Print Pictures." Photos is set as the default app for opening image files too. I have no idea why this is happening, as it opens in photos if I actually go...
  5. Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos keep opening in "print pictures" app instead of the photos app even though it's set...: As the title says, every time I search up a photo on my computer, instead of opening in the Photos App, it opens in "Print Pictures." Photos is set as the default app for opening image files too. I have no idea why this is happening, as it opens in photos if I actually go...
  6. How many sleep background pictures are there?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How many sleep background pictures are there?: How many sleep/power off background pictures are there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-many-sleep-background-pictures-are-there/cc2af518-018b-47a4-aeb1-effac5c8fd7b
  7. The Windows Photo App will not open a picture

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Windows Photo App will not open a picture: I have just updated to ver 2004 and now the Windows Photo App will not open a picture. I can reset and repair it and it will open a picture. If I try to open another one, the app hangs. Need to know how to resolve....
  8. Recent Problem Opening Pictures with the Photos App

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recent Problem Opening Pictures with the Photos App: Just a few days ago I started having issues where I would open an image with the Photos app and it would take a while to load and then would just give me a black window. I try again, sometimes I get the same black window after a long load and other times the picture shows up...
  9. opening pictures with closen apps photo viewers

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening pictures with closen apps photo viewers: Hi there, I have an issue here. When i dubble klick on a photo jpg, normaly an app activates photo viewer and you can view the photo. But here i only get the popup screen to choose your app before the photo will displayed When i choose the app i want, and saving it,...
  10. Windows 10 Photos app background

Windows 10 Photos app background: Recently the default background for the Photos app on my Windows 10 desktop system changed from black to white. I do not recall changing any settings, and rebooting does not correct it. How do I change it back to black?...