Windows 10: windows 10 photos will not let me change default

Discus and support windows 10 photos will not let me change default in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi In windows 10, Windows app “photos” will not allow me to change the default to another media viewer like VLC or Windows media player (my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Smudge, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Smudge Win User

windows 10 photos will not let me change default

Hi
    In windows 10, Windows app “photos” will not allow me to change the default to another media viewer like VLC or Windows media player (my preference). It will only let me change to an editing program like Photo elements, or Paint.
    I have removed Photo from windows but then it was grabbed by Paint and still would not allow me to change the default.
    I have also tried the normal way to change to another program of Preferences, and change to, apply and ok, but Photo holds on like limpet mine.
    I have also run System Restore to no avail except Windows Photo had been reinstalled.
    I have also run a check through the command prompt to check for errors but that came back all ok.
    I have now run out of how options to get rid of Photo as my picture viewer it’s not that I hate Photo its Just the Big Brother syndrome that I hate.
    One other thing, If I open a picture, right click the “open with” it will open in my preferred program but reverts back to the picture default when closed.
    Note: both the default Music app and the Video app I have been able to change to the Windows Media Viewer with no problems.
    Can anyone help me please?
    Arthur

:)

Smudge, Oct 14, 2018
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done windows 10 photos will not let me change default :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Can't change default photo app

Hi Dkojic,

Thank you posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with setting the default photo viewer, we will help you with this issue.

Steps to change the default photo viewer.

• Right click on any photo in your system, click on Properties.
    • Under General tab, click on Change and select the application to view the photos with.
    • Click on Ok, Apply and Ok.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 14, 2018
  4. windows 10 photos will not let me change default

Windows 10 default image viewer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps in order to change the default image viewer to Paint.

• In search,
    • Type Default Programs.
    • Check whether Windows Photo Viewer is listed in the list.
    • Left click on the photo viewer and select the option paint.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 photos will not let me change default

1. windows 10 photos will not let me change default - Similar Threads - photos let change

2. Windows 11 will not let me change browser default to Chrome.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 will not let me change browser default to Chrome.: I do not get the prompt that says make Google Chrome your default. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome and still cannot? New ASUS X515 laptop with Windows 11 Home. New ASUS X515 laptop with Windows 11 Home....
  3. Windows 11 will not let me change browser default to Chrome.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 will not let me change browser default to Chrome.: I do not get the prompt that says make Google Chrome your default. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome and still cannot? New ASUS X515 laptop with Windows 11 Home. New ASUS X515 laptop with Windows 11 Home....
  4. Change default applicatiion for photos in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default applicatiion for photos in windows 10: Hello,I am using a desktop running Windows 10.I am trying to change the default app for opening photos which end in .json.Currently the default App is Windows Media Player which will not open them. I understand that it should be Wordpad for this type of file.However when I...
  5. Change default applicatiion for photos in windows 10

Change default applicatiion for photos in windows 10: Hello,I am using a desktop running Windows 10.I am trying to change the default app for opening photos which end in .json.Currently the default App is Windows Media Player which will not open them. I understand that it should be Wordpad for this type of file.However when I...
  6. Windows Photo App not letting me print

Windows Photo App not letting me print: When I go to print a photo from the Windows Photo App, I click the print icon and something flashes on screen for like half a second and then disappears. Im assuming its the print preview window. Then after that happens I click it again and absolutely nothing happens. If I...
  7. Windows 10 Photos App not letting me print.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 Photos App not letting me print.: Opening images in the photo app works, however, when I attempt to print using the print button in the top right nothing happens. Occasionally the black print options windows will show for a split second but nothing more than that. No difference if I try keyboard shortcuts....
  8. Windows 10 not letting me change brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 not letting me change brightness: I have windows 10 version 10.0.18363, I'm running bootcamp on an iMac 17,1 Retina 5k that's a few years old. This hasn't always been a problem with my system, and I haven't a clue what caused it. I found that after my computer has been running for a while, and I have to wake...
  9. windows 10 photos will not let me change default

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 photos will not let me change default: Hi In windows 10, Windows app “photos” will not allow me to change the default to another media viewer like VLC or Windows media player (my preference). It will only let me change to an editing program like Photo elements, or Paint. I have removed Photo from windows but then...
  10. Windows Not Letting Me Change Default Browser To Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Not Letting Me Change Default Browser To Google Chrome: I am trying to set google chrome as my default browser but it wont show it as an option [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-not-letting-me-change-default-browser-to/f73597d8-eca6-4b79-b37d-7ffd47a7518b