Windows 10: Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors

Discus and support Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 looks bad on my 1920 x 1080 monitors. And I'm not talking about apps – I'm talking about Windows 10 itself. For example, the icons in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by InfoComPro, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors

Windows 10 looks bad on my 1920 x 1080 monitors. And I'm not talking about apps – I'm talking about Windows 10 itself. For example, the icons in the taskbar have visibly jagged edges, and OS windows and dialog boxes have text that is jagged/fuzzy/pixelated.

I've been using Windows 10 for several years now, and have always had this problem. In the past, I've fixed it with a little bit of freeware called Windows10_DPI_FIX.exe, which worked beautifully, and was the ONLY thing that worked. Unfortunately, I can no longer seem to find a version of the freeware that isn't infected with a virus.

This doesn't seem to bother most users, but I'm an information developer who spends hours and hours each day looking at content, specifically to find and fix things that are wrong, and this makes everything wrong.

I know that my monitors can display beautifully, because they have before, but since the update to Windows 20H2, I just can't get it to work.

I do not want to scale things – the size of text, icons, etc., is perfect. I just want things to look smooth and crisp as before.

Does anyone know of any way to actually fix this? Besides switching to a Mac Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors :p

Note that adjusting these things does not help:
    • Clear Type
    • Graphics Drivers
    • Monitor Drivers
    • USB Drivers
    • Cables and connections
    • Resolution
    • Size Scale
    • Windows Updates
    • Let Windows Try to Fix Apps Not an apps problem
    • Refresh Rate
    • System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Performance Options > Visual Effects
    • Reinstalling, Restoring, or Repairing operating system
    • Registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop > Win8DpiScaling, LogPixels

System Information

Asus Zenbook Q536FD
    Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, Build 19042.746, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
    Installed on ‎1/‎24/‎2021

External Monitors: Dell S2740L

Display Adapters
    IntelR UHD Graphics 620
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with Max-Q Design
    Targus USB3 DViK-2K Compact Dock

:)

InfoComPro, Jan 28, 2021

2. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter - poor quality

I have recently bought a new laptop and want to set up two extra monitors. As I have only 1 HDMI outlet, I have bought a wireless display adapter.

The display adapter worked fine with simply plugging it in and connecting using the "add a wireless display" button.

I however wanted to change some settings, so I manually installed the driver (through microsoft.com/hardware). But after this the display quality became really poor, as if it's
    on a much lower resolution than it actually is (the settings are on 1920 x 1080) . I have followed the step-by-step advice on the trouble shoot page (Troubleshooting Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter), but without results.

My guess is there's a conflict between the wireless display adapter driver and the graphic card drivers. But as said, this is just a guess. Any advice?

I am a newby on issues like this, so if you need any other information please let me know.

Specs:

- Laptop: HP Omen, Intel i7 7700 HQ, Windows 10 64 bit

- Graphic cards: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 T

SimoneBijlard, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Poor video quality on playing .avi files on external monitors in Windows 10.

Hi Muriel,

The above issue might occur due to the non-updated or incompatible display drivers installed on the computer.

Before we assist further, did you try updating or uninstalling the display driver from the computer?

Update the display driver installed on the computer manually from
    Device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Device manager from the context menu.

• Expand Display adapter, right click on the installed display driver and select
      Update this software from the context menu.

• Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete.

• After the update is complete, close the window and check if the issue is resolved.

Refer to How to
    add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC
    and check if it helps.

Write to us with the status of poor video quality experienced on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 28, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors

Poor quality text when using HDR

Hi Don,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can understand that it must be difficult for you when things are not working as it should.

1. What is the make and model of the TV and the computer?
    2. Are you facing the same issue even on computer or is it only with the TV monitor?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to turn off ClearType for the HDMI output connected to TV keeping your regular computer display. To do so,

1. Click on Start, type in ClearType and click on
      Adjust ClearType text option.
    2. The ClearType Text Tuner app will be opened on the screen.
    3. Uncheck > Turn on ClearType and click on
      Next.
    4. You’ll be able to see the options such as Yes, I want to tune all monitors now and
      No, only tune the monitors that I select.
    5. Select No, only tune the monitors that I select and click on the preferred monitor (TV) and follow the onscreen prompts.
    6. On the next page, select a text sample that looks most readable to you and click on the Next button.
    7. Repeat the same step on subsequent pages. You will see 5 screens with text samples in a row.
    8. Click on the Finish button to accept the changes you made.

Meanwhile, regarding the issue with the distorted colors and text quality I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to change the display settings to match the resolution of the display:

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard, click on
      System.
    2. Click on Display.
    3. You will see an option to Select and rearrange displays, click on the display associated with the TV.
    4. Scroll down to select the ‘Recommended’ option under
      Scale and layout to Change the size of text, apps, and other items, and
      Resolution.

For more information I would also suggest you to refer the article:
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors

1. Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors - Similar Threads - Poor Quality Display

2. Windows 11 display with poor quality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 display with poor quality: Hi experts, After updating from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then I've missed display quality, snd it is occurring only for Windows 11. Perhaps it is missing some configuration, please have a look at my computer specs: Display settings:Display with poor quality:Thanks in...
  3. Windows 11 display with poor quality

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 display with poor quality: Hi experts, After updating from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then I've missed display quality, snd it is occurring only for Windows 11. Perhaps it is missing some configuration, please have a look at my computer specs: Display settings:Display with poor quality:Thanks in...
  4. Mic quality poor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mic quality poor: I got a new headset a couple of days ago, the Razer Blackshark V2 Pro. I was surprised that my friends on discord told me that I sounded like I was underwater. I tried messing with synapse, windows, and discord settings, I tried changing the frequency but it was already set...
  5. Windows 10: Account Photo is poor quality.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10: Account Photo is poor quality.: [ATTACH] I understand that 500x500 is the max or preferred resolution...is there any regedit fix to push for higher display resolution of my photo? My ocd is kicking in. submitted by /u/Dora_TheDestroya [link] [comments]...
  6. Poor microphone quality

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Poor microphone quality: My laptop automatically performed a system update on June 4, 2020. Ever since, my microphone quality, as reported by others, is very poor. This issue occurs for both the integrated microphone in my laptop as well as for the microphone in an external headset. I am using...
  7. poor quality

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    poor quality: the other day I recorded videos and the quality was great. then I went to yesterday and suddenly the quality is terrible on my laptop but when I export the video it is good quality. I am having this issue both in the camera app and also the zoom app. when I called dell the...
  8. Poor sound quality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Poor sound quality: I use Win 10's gaming option to just record videos only which works well however the sound is terrible crackling and distorted. I've the latest download for Conexant sound but there's still no improvement so any ideas how to solve this would be much appreciated. Thanks....
  9. poor sound quality Lenovo Ideapad Conexant Audio HD

poor sound quality Lenovo Ideapad Conexant Audio HD: Hi All i am at the end of my tether with this machine. the sound quality is terrible. the only way i can hear anything is if i am in a silent room and then its difficult to hear. i bought the laptop brandnew so i doubt its the speakers as the sound as always been this bad....
  10. Bluetooth quality poor

Bluetooth quality poor: Hiya...have windows 10 and my bluetooth quality is very broken. I see the driver is old, see attachment. I have tried updating driver through device manager but tells me the driver is up to date. Is there a way I can update this? TIA 72578