Windows 10: Windows 10 - Post-Update Black Screen (No Boot)

Discus and support Windows 10 - Post-Update Black Screen (No Boot) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello there, I've had an issue with my Windows 10 on my PC since yesterday at around 7pm EST. I came home from work, and my PC was sitting on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MarxAthium, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Windows 10 - Post-Update Black Screen (No Boot)

Hello there, I've had an issue with my Windows 10 on my PC since yesterday at around 7pm EST.

I came home from work, and my PC was sitting on the Desktop, as per usual, I could access my files, browse, play games, ETC, and there were no issues, but I wanted to restart my PC as I do from time to time, and the only options I had were to "Update and Shut Down" or "Update and Restart", so I pressed "Update and Restart" and didn't think anything of it.

I came back a little while later, and Windows was stuck on the Spinning Circle, which was odd, and it was stuck on that for about a half hour, and at that point I figured something was wrong, and restarted the PC.
    Ever since then, whenever I restart my PC, my BIOS loads in and I can mess around with that, change clock speeds, Boot Devices, ETC, and everything is fine and normal for standard boot until it tries to boot to Windows 10, in which the BIOS screen ends, and a Black Screen begins, which doesn't go away until I restart the PC, which once again loads the BIOS and then black screen, and it doesn't ever actually go back to even the Spinning Circles at all, and I can't access any kind of Windows Repair, or Safe Mode, or Recovery, nothing.

I looked it up to find similar issues, and apparently at the beginning of the month there was a corrupted Windows 10 October update which was causing issues such as this, (although that was at the beginning of the month and supposedly was fixed), and suggested I call Microsoft, and so I did.

We tried Hard Booting, Holding the Power Button down for 1 then 2 Minutes, and then after being on hold he determined I should wait until the next day and get a call from support with a more suitable Assistant.

The next day rolls around and I get the call, and after explaining the issue as best I can to him, he determines that its a Hardware issue since it wont even access Windows 10, and that it just needs replacing.

It isn't particularly a new Motherboard, but I've been using my PC with minimal issues for 5 years now, custom built mostly by me, started with Windows 7 Pro and updated to 10 Pro when it released, I've upgraded the PSU, GPUs, RAM, the Hard Drives and Reinstalled Windows 10 before without issues I couldn't figure out until now. First off, I can get into the BIOS and mess around with it which makes me believe it might not be the motherboard, although I am not ruling it out, especially given my second reason.

I refused to give up and decided to try and run Windows 10 on a Flash Drive, using the Official Media Creation Tool to create a Windows ISO, and installed it using WinToUSB, in order to try and boot using an external device with Windows 10, maybe get some of my more important files off, ETC, but mostly to get access to my Hard Drive to possibly try to repair the issue somehow if I can find a tool to do so, or even Reinstall windows again on my Hard Drive to start anew, I'm not very knowledgeable of drivers and software.

At first, after the BIOS it was able to start the Windows Logo with the Spinning Circles, before cutting back into the Black Screen and sitting there, which worried me, but after restarting the PC and trying to Bott it again, I was able to boot into the Flash Drive, and run the setup for Windows 10, so the capability to load into Windows is there still, as it can get past the BIOS into Windows, and after allowing the setup to run, I'm in a working, although extremely slow, build of Windows 10 Pro.

What happened, was it for sure the update or might there be something i'm missing that might have caused this? Is there anything I can do from here to repair Windows 10 Update through a Tool, Windows, Windows Update, or should I just reinstall Windows? I'm not sure where to go from here, and any assistance would be appreciated.

:)

MarxAthium, Oct 24, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Windows 10 post-installation black screen

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the update.

For the black screen issue, I would suggest you to try the additional steps as suggested in the following article:

Black screen and not signed in to windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Windows 10 - Post-Update Black Screen (No Boot)

Windows 10 Black screen, Start screen, Critical Low Battery

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the power troubleshooter if you are able to boot into the system.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    For black screen issues click on the link below and refer the suggestions by Sharath Srinivasa.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/cf3b4559-67d8-40e0-9cf2-ebf4528e1e78

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - Post-Update Black Screen (No Boot)

1. Windows 10 - Post-Update Black Screen (No Boot) - Similar Threads - Post Update Black

2. Black screen after sign in page post update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after sign in page post update: Hi, so my laptop runs windows 10. I sae there was an update for windows 10 and also an option to update to windows 11, i ignored both. I went to put my laptop into sleep mode because i was going out and saw it was updating before going into sleep mode. Im unsure if it was the...
  3. Black screen after sign in page post update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after sign in page post update: Hi, so my laptop runs windows 10. I sae there was an update for windows 10 and also an option to update to windows 11, i ignored both. I went to put my laptop into sleep mode because i was going out and saw it was updating before going into sleep mode. Im unsure if it was the...
  4. Black screen after sign in page post update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 Update - Boots to Black Screen with Mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update - Boots to Black Screen with Mouse: Hi all, I updated windows last night, and now it boots to a black screen where I can move the mouse. However, I cannot login as a result, I cannot open task manager. I've tried holding the power button on my desktop and doing a hard reboot 3 times and it still does the...
  6. Windows 10 black screen boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen boot.: Hello all, I've been having some trouble with my Windows 10 desktop. It's upgraded from Windows 7 if this helps, though sadly due to my issue as described I can't get any information on the installation for you. How it works is as follows. 1.) I hold the power button. 2.)The...
  7. PC POST BOOT SCREEN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC POST BOOT SCREEN: So I have just built my very first pc ever, and have gotten to post with no issue, however after using my USB stick to install windows 10 to my SSD, the pc restarted and during the time it was "getting everything ready" it reset again and now whenever it boots up instead of...
  8. Windows 10 boots to black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots to black screen: Hi, I recently applied updates to my Windows 10 environment. The next time I booted, it would briefly show the Windows logo and then go to black screen. I could still login to safe mode no problems. After a week of trying different things and online advice, I stripped all...
  9. Windows 10 black screen after POST

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 black screen after POST: My computer has been built for a while now. It has always seemed to struggle to boot - it has to "boot" twice each time. Sometimes it black screens after POST, but after restarting it boots normally. But now when I turn it on, it stays in the black screen after POST and...
  10. Post login black screen after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Post login black screen after windows 10 update: Last night I set my lenovo y50 to update to windows 10 after I went to sleep. Now that I'm awake i get the windows 8 lockscreen but after I enter my pin I get a black screen with a cursor. I can open taskmanager, and I have gotten several error messages regarding ismagent.exe...