Windows 10: Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update

Discus and support Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Let me start with this: I don't expect this issue to be resolved. I do want to share my frustrations. I have been a Microsoft-camp user since MS-DOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NathanKluender, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update

Let me start with this: I don't expect this issue to be resolved. I do want to share my frustrations. I have been a Microsoft-camp user since MS-DOS 5.0, through Windows 3.11, 95, Me, XP, 7, and now 10. I have generally avoided Apple because of their closed garden that limits choices. The freedom to choose my own hardware and configure what I want is what I like(d) about Microsoft.

I have a Windows 10 PC that is about 2 years old. Sleep Mode worked initially, but as each new Windows 10 update rolls on, Sleep Mode has caused me more and more headaches. I have read hundreds of guides that supposedly tell me how to get my PC to go to sleep properly but none work. I can manually put my computer to sleep via the power menu, but the idle times I set in Power Config will never cause it to go to sleep. So I lived with it and adapted to logging out, then clicking "Sleep" on the power menu. This let my single wake timer run that I used to kick off a weekly backup on weekends. The PC would still be running after the backup was done, but I could manually put it back to sleep and it wasn't that painful. Throughout the week, the PC slept all day while I was at work, and everyone was happy.

Each time a "Creator's Update" or some such feature release gets rolled out, I have to fight with getting Sleep mode to behave again. Until the most recent update that rolled out in May. Now the UpdateOrchestrator series of Wake Timers are set and I (as admin of my own PC that I did not purchase from Microsoft) do not have permission to disable, delete, or reschedule these timers. I'm sure the argument will be made that for my own security the updates need to be downloaded and I can't be trusted to modify the update plans of the benevolent Microsoft overlords.

I have no intention of ignoring security updates, but I don't need my sleeping machine to wake up for them since the PowerConfig is so screwy that my machine won't go back to sleep after completing the check/download. I just want to change the box to say "Only while a user is logged in" so that the updates won't wake my computer unless I already woke it. Now my PC will be on almost all the time because timers beyond my control wake it up, and it won't go back to sleep.

So my alternative now is to fully shutdown my PC, which means I have to actively remember to run my backups, and the precious "MUST WAKE UP THE COMPUTER FOR THESE PRECIOUS UPDATES" updates don't get downloaded until I choose to turn my computer on. So your self-righteous attitude that you know better than me and I can't be trusted to configure my own computer has backfired. I don't get updates any more frequently than I did before, but you have a frustrated and angry customer.

I don't expect this is a critical enough issue for many people to make any difference in Microsoft's bottom line. However, the perceived attitude (whether intended or not) behind these changes cause real frustration. Your User Experience department should remember that the person who owns the hardware deserves the respect of your software, or else their hardware may start running someone else's software.

:)

NathanKluender, Aug 4, 2019

2. sleep mode and power options not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

For issues with sleep mode and power options follow the steps provided below.

Run the Power troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in search and click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Now type Power in the search option.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter to run.

I would suggest you to try updating the Display driver and check if the issue persists. If you already have all the latest drivers from Windows updates, then I would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's website, download and install the latest
    drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Hope this helps.

Anish A Kumar, Aug 4, 2019
  3. Windows 7 sleep mode shutsdown

Just a quick update: Windows no longer reverts back to the BIOS after sleep mode. I used CCleaner to fix the registry and that did the trick

GoFigureItOut, Aug 4, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update

1. Windows 10, Power Config, Sleep Mode, and Windows Update - Similar Threads - Power Config Sleep

2. Windows 10 sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sleep mode: I recently built a new PC and I cannot seem to get it to wake up from sleep mode. I tried to disable fast startup, I turned hibernate off and on, I turned hybrid sleep off and on. I even changed the power settings to the usb in the motherboard bios. Does anyone else have any...
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Sleep Mode in Power Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Desktop Sleep Mode in Power Settings: I have my system set up to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes. Until recently, this worked fine except instances where my browser might have a page loaded that prevented the sleep mode from activating. Now, even without a browser or application loaded my system fails to...
  4. Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode: If non-active hours are set for during the night and the PC is left in Sleep Mode then when updates are available, does Windows switch on the PC with the Wake-up Timers to download and install the updates ? If so, does it then do the second leg of updating and restart to...
  5. Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode: If non-active hours are set for during the night and the PC is left in Sleep Mode then when updates are available, does Windows switch on the PC with the Wake-up Timers to download and install the updates ? If so, does it then do the second leg of updating and restart to...
  6. Windows 10 Updates and Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Support
  7. Windows 10 updates and Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 updates and Sleep mode: What happens if a Windows 10 update goes on long enough for my PC to enter Sleep mode, which it's configured to do after 30 minutes? Does the update halt Sleep mode or succumb to it? And if it succumbs to it, does it disrupt the update or merely pause it?...
  8. Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power

Windows 10 sleep mode consumes massive amount of power: Okay - I have noticed that sleep mode in windows 10 consumes massive amount of power ( around 30%-35% of the battery per day). At first I attributed this to hardware, but now that I have three different 2in1's (Asus Zenbook, Dell 5290 , and Surface Pro) all brand new...
  9. sleep mode windows 10

sleep mode windows 10: My computer is in sleep mode and it will not wake up. I have reset the computer and still nothing comes up. How do I fix this. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-windows-10/231a6688-627f-4d92-a5c0-8710ddd12ddb
  10. Power draining in Sleep mode after 1809 update

Power draining in Sleep mode after 1809 update: Hi Folks, Updated to 1809 a few days ago on a Toshiba Satellite laptop Manually put device into sleep mode overnight (full battery) Device will not recover in the morning without plugging charger in Any advice ..............