Windows 10: Windows 10 power off issues.

Discus and support Windows 10 power off issues. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have an older HP Pavilion desktop, model p7-1108p to be exact, which I purchased back in 2011 and it came pre-loaded with Windows 7.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Rex Clair, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Rex Clair Win User

Windows 10 power off issues.

Hello,

I have an older HP Pavilion desktop, model p7-1108p to be exact, which I purchased back in 2011 and it came pre-loaded with Windows 7.

Recently, due to a hard drive failure I upgraded the hard drive and installed Windows 10 pro on my computer. After the installation, I've ran into a bit of a snag and cant seem to find any real answer to the problem.

My computer won't turn off! When I tell the PC to shut down through the start menu, Windows shuts down as normal, hard drive stops spinning, and monitor goes off, but the lights on the front of the desktop wont turn off and I usually have to hold the power button down to the the computer to fully shut off. The same goes with shutting down the PC via command prompt. -- things shut down as normal but the computer itself wont turn off.

Most fixes usually recommend disabling fast startup, but I have already disabled it and still no luck.

Thinking there might be some sort of BIOS/UEFI setting, I've tried booting into the BIOS/UEFI to tinker around in there. The process I follow is going to All Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup. When I get to the advance startup menu, and I navigate through the menus, where the UEFI settings SHOULD be located, it's not. I figure, okay, I'll press the system menu key when the computer boots up (esc for this particular model). I press the esc key at startup, the system begins to load the system menu, then jumps right out of it and proceeds to boot Windows.

I've checked under my system info and can confirm it says the system is using UEFI rather than the older BIOS.

Other troubleshooting I've tried is the mbr to gpt conversion which fails, which I'm assuming is due to the system already using gpt. I've also removed the CMOS battery to try and do a reset that way, but still no luck.

This leads me to believe that somewhere the firmware and OS aren't meshing properly like they should, and I'm at my wits end trying to find a fix. Would a system restore resolve this?

Thanks!

:)

Rex Clair, Dec 23, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 power issue

Hi Adithyaram,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps bellow and check if it helps

Method 1: Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with power. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Power.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Power troubleshooter

Method 2: I suggest you to update drivers and check if that helps. If that issue persist please uninstall and reinstall latest drivers available in manufacturer website. Both Display
    driver and Audio drivers.

• Press “Windows + X” and select Device manger.
    • Select Display Adapter and expand the driver icon.
    • Right click on the driver icon and click on Update.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to update the driver.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Dec 23, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Windows 10 power off issues.

New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 power off issues.

1. Windows 10 power off issues. - Similar Threads - power off issues

2. windows power off issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows power off issue: Hello Windows community. As per the subject shown above my dell latitude 7490 does not shutdown properly after shutting down the fan, Keyboard and power are still lighting Earlier the system running normally on windows 11 but i try to install dual with Mac os 13 during the...
  3. windows power off issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows power off issue: Hello Windows community. As per the subject shown above my dell latitude 7490 does not shutdown properly after shutting down the fan, Keyboard and power are still lighting Earlier the system running normally on windows 11 but i try to install dual with Mac os 13 during the...
  4. Windows 10 power issue

Windows 10 power issue: Windows 10 on Acer Aspire R13 bet blue screens and Windows issue when on battery but runs fine when plugged in. Battery appears charges properly and appears to be fine. Any suggestion appreciated....
  5. Power off and Hibernate issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power off and Hibernate issue: Hi all. I'm having the following issue when I turn off my computer 1 If I use the hibernate option, the system immediately shutdown without asking to close any open file. At a later resume, the system shows a blue screen showing an issue with the previous shutdown, and all...
  6. Power off and Hibernate issue

Power off and Hibernate issue: Hi all. I'm having the following issue when I turn off my computer 1 If I use the hibernate option, the system immediately shutdown without asking to close any open file. At a later resume, the system shows a blue screen showing an issue with the previous shutdown, and all...
  7. Power off and Hibernate issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Power off issues

Power off issues: I recently tried to power off my computer but it says "There are no power options currently available". I have updated my computer and I don't know how to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off-issues/a3fb9b59-d093-46f0-8984-f721ae95d4f5
  9. Random power Off issues

Random power Off issues: Hi, I recently in the last month and a bit built a desk top and at first was very quick and had no issues, however, in the last month the cpu started randomly going off at 100% when no windows were open and causing my computer to become unresponsive. I did some optimization...
  10. Power Off issues.

Power Off issues.: Hey, I started to have a problem with my windows 10. When ever i shutdown my laptop the screen goes black (like it used to ) but now i can see the power light is still on and the fan is still running.... I waited for a few minutes but the power wont shutdown.. Any one have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4487017 screen off issues