Windows 10: Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work

Discus and support Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi - I've a Windows 10 Laptop with an external monitor. I've set the Power Setting for Closing the Lid to Do Nothing. But it's not working. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Robert (SHS DX LD SCM MF, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work

Hi - I've a Windows 10 Laptop with an external monitor. I've set the Power Setting for Closing the Lid to Do Nothing. But it's not working. The external monitor does not come on. I have to open the Laptop lid to get the desktop to show on the external monitor.

:)

Robert (SHS DX LD SCM MF, Oct 3, 2019

2. Lid setting does not recoginize power status change

We manage the policy to set the “When I close the lid:” setting on our laptops to "Sleep" on battery and "Do Nothing" on plugged in. In the basic scenarios, the results are expected:

• With the laptop plugged in, I closed the lid and re-opened. It was not in sleep mode.
    • With the laptop running on battery, I closed the lid and re-opened. It was in sleep mode.

However, with the laptop plugged in, I close the lid and then unplug the power cable to put it on battery and then opened the lid. It is not in sleep mode. Is this an issue with the Windows 10 power management, or is there
    a setting where this can be corrected?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings / PC

Ryan P. Dempsey, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Waking and Powering on laptop with lid close

Hi,

Closing the lid can result in your Windows shutting down, sleeping or hibernating. You can control the behavior and decide what you want to do, once you close the lid. To assist you with your concern, we recommend that you follow these steps on how
    to configure the power option of your device if you want to keep your laptop running even with the lid closed:

• In the Search box, type powercfg.cpl and press
      Enter. This will open the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.
    • Now, in the Power Options window, click Choose what closing the lid
      does link from the left pane.

Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work 23d6d67b-a3ef-4444-a076-00bf166b3471?upload=true.png

• Choose what you want your laptop to do, when it’s running on battery and when it’s plugged in. For instance, under Power button and lid settings section you can find ‘When I Close the Lid’ option. Adjacent to it you can find options to help you define
      power button or lid settings. Once you've selected your options, click Save
      changes button.

Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work 3307afeb-cf65-4fdb-ab36-80e0cc60478e?upload=true.png

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

If you think this was useful, you may "Mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Sher Amo, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work

Closing Laptop Lid Powers On Computer

I ran the power troubleshooter and it adjusted the dims setting, changed power plans, and adjusted the screen brightness. I did a clean boot and reset the power plans to default but the problem remains.

When I shut down and leave the lid open, it shuts down and powers back on. If I shut down and close the lid, it stays off. Then to power on, I have to open and close the lid.

Edit: Closing the lid powers off and opening the lid powers on. It also reboots after shutdown if lid is left open.

BlakeCamden, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work

1. Windows 10 - Power Setting - Closing Lid / With Power Do Nothing - Doesn't work - Similar Threads - Power Setting Closing

2. Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work: Typically, when I close the lid on my laptop, whatever is on the display moved to one of two external monitors. Today, my display froze, and I restarted. When I restarted, my monitor position had changed in the settings, and now, when I close my laptop, whatever is on the...
  3. Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work: Typically, when I close the lid on my laptop, whatever is on the display moved to one of two external monitors. Today, my display froze, and I restarted. When I restarted, my monitor position had changed in the settings, and now, when I close my laptop, whatever is on the...
  4. Windows 10 Education - closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work

Windows 10 closing lid set to 'do nothing' doesn't work: Hello, I'm trying to use my windows laptop with an external monitor but I'm having some problems. I want to close the lid of my laptop while continue working only on my external monitor. So i set the settings of 'choose what closing the lid does' to 'do nothing' but it...
  6. Closing the lid; do nothing

Closing the lid; do nothing: I'm trying to keep my laptop screen from turning off when I close the lid. I changed the settings in the Power Options under "When I close the lid, Plugged in" from sleep to Do Nothing my laptop is always plugged in. However, despite this, the screen still blacks out when I...
  7. Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain: [ATTACH] Have a curious issue regarding configuring a power plan. Have a new Dell Latitude 5501 running 1909. By default its power plan is set to Ultimate Performance, but I'd like a more balanced profile, so I changed it to Balanced. This profile should keep the CPU...
  8. Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 close lid do nothing not working they way it used to: HP Omen laptop + external monitor. W10 1903. When I shut my laptop lid, now it shuts off my laptop monitor (does not detect both) and shifts desktop to the external screen. Not super helpful for watching netflix and keeping the lid closed. It seems like it's ignoring the...
  9. Display Closing Lid and Power Settings

Display Closing Lid and Power Settings: I was wondering about if there was any way for a setting to be changed so that: -If my computer is hooked up to a display (monitor), it would not sleep when I close the lid -If my computer is not hooked up to a display (monitor), it would sleep when I close the lid...
  10. Do nothing when the lid is closed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do nothing when the lid is closed: I have an laptop with a tv as an monitor. My question is, Can i perform an feature update, with the power option do nothing when the lid is closed? Or do i have to keep the lid open all the time...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 working on monitor closing laptop doesnt work