Windows 10: Windows 10 pr0 - freezing every minute or so for about 5 seconds - Update in August and...

Discus and support Windows 10 pr0 - freezing every minute or so for about 5 seconds - Update in August and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older work station that I upgrated to Windows 10 Pro back in March of 2020. The workstation worked great. Around August there was an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KCroto, Sep 21, 2020.

1. KCroto Win User

Windows 10 pr0 - freezing every minute or so for about 5 seconds - Update in August and...

I have an older work station that I upgrated to Windows 10 Pro back in March of 2020.

The workstation worked great.

Around August there was an update that started this freezing every minute or so. I poked around and found nothing, I rolled back the update and all was fine.

Around September the large update came, I no longer have the history. I found the same frustrating issue of freezing happening. Again I poked around and have found nothing relevant. I have gone to great lengths to ensure my drivers are all up to date. I ended up resetting the OS, which is why I do not have history. I have the latest and greatest and nothing earlier.

When it freezes it does not affect the audio and video. I can be in a teams meeting and there is no change, other than I can not type nor move around the screen. I can see the mouse moving but take no action. I can continue typing and eventually the computer catches up. It seems to get more frequent the more I load the memory. As the day goes on its worse.

As I say this is an older PC

It has a Supermicro X7DWA mother board, bios, phoenix 1.2c 11/19/2010

I also have an ASUS asus g73sw laptop with Windows Home that is now experiencing the same issue. So its not specific to my workstation.

Any thoughts on a fix would be helpful. Or how do I get back to a version of 10 Pro that I can work with. Mine was downloaded from the WEB.

Windows 10 pr0 - freezing every minute or so for about 5 seconds - Update in August and... 3d6a46d3-41dd-4aad-961a-87514182467b?upload=true.png

:)

KCroto, Sep 21, 2020
  2. InhexSTER Win User

PowerDVD 9 freezes on startup for 10 seconds

My problem is that my PowerDVD 9 freezes whole system for 5-10 seconds while starting. It happens on my HD monitor Samsung 240HD. But when I connect 40 inch 720p tv it works great. Please, can u suggest what the problem or give some link to fix.

InhexSTER, Sep 21, 2020
  3. Windows 10 freezes after ~5 minutes of inactivity/idle

Hi,

Hoping for some assistance on this, for what appears to be a somewhat common problem.

My issue is extremely similar to
    this issue
    . I would in fact say it is virtually identical.

In summary..

• After ~5 minutes of inactivity, Windows 10 completely freezes
    • It absolutely hangs - it does not respond to any keyboard or mouse input. The
      only thing it responds to is a hard power off by holding down the power button for a few seconds.
    • It doesn't matter whether music/video is playing - it will freeze provided there is
      5 minutes of inactivity
    • If music is playing, the audio will also freeze.
    • This means provided the computer receives constant input (whether mouse or keyboard), I can use it for almost an indefinite period of time
    • I suspect it is related to a Windows Update/driver
    • There are a small number of other situations which trigger a freeze - appears to be related to installation of software and/or Windows Update
      • Example is after installing VirtualBox, computer will freeze upon opening
      • Whilst attempting to install a Samsung Android driver, it froze in the middle of installation
    As a side issue, I am also unable to shut down, restart or hibernate my computer. Shutting down/restarting/hibernating will result in the screen turning off, but unless I actually hard power off the computer by holding onto the power button, the power light
    will show as on and you can hear the fan constantly running until it is forced off by a hard power off. I believe this is also related to a Windows Update/driver, because it did work previously. Maybe this should have its own separate question post, seeing
    as it is probably a separate issue.

Hardware/Software Summary:

• Laptop Model: Acer Aspire E14 ES1-411-C1WD (purchased ~July 2015)
    • Processor: Intel Celeron CPU N2940 @ 1.83GHz

Let me know if any other information is required that may be of assistance.

Appreciate any assistance that can be provided!

illumination10, Sep 21, 2020
  4. dawei Win User

Windows 10 pr0 - freezing every minute or so for about 5 seconds - Update in August and...

Windows 7 freezes for 1 minute

My custom built rig has lately, in the past 2 months or so, been having these spits of freezing. It will freeze for exactly 1 minute: always 1 minute, every time. I can time it down to the second.

The weird thing is that when it freezes, some programs seem to be immune to it. When playing a full screen game, video and audio will freeze (though not always at the same time, sometimes one or the other will lag). Playing a 3D game in windowed mode seems to be immune to it however. Windows explorer and Firefox always seems to freeze, but Windows Messenger (including video call) will work as normal even while everything else is frozen. After a minute has passed, everything is back to normal. It happens at irregular intervals: sometimes it will happen then happen again 30 seconds later, and sometimes I can go hours without the problem.

It's a bit bizarre and I'm not sure what is causing it. The fact that it is always exactly 1 minute makes me think it's some dumb program checking for an update or something, but I can't pin it down.

Any ideas appreciated.

dawei, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 pr0 - freezing every minute or so for about 5 seconds - Update in August and... - Similar Threads - pr0 freezing every

2. USB Ports disconnecting every 5 minutes for 5 seconds.

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB Ports disconnecting every 5 minutes for 5 seconds.: So ever since i updated my windows a few days ago, my usb ports which has my headset, keyboard and mouse connected to it disconnects for 5 seconds then connects itself back and this occurs every 5 minutes. I have tried every method of leaving usb ports running when pc is on...
  3. Laptop freezes every 5 seconds for 1 second

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop freezes every 5 seconds for 1 second: My friend asked me too have a look at his laptop as it was really slow, i ran some tests and determined his HDD was failing so recommended he got an SSD upgrade, so he bought one and i installed windows 10 for him, his laptop came shipped with windows 10 home, so i installed...
  4. Windows freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds: My friend asked me too have a look at his laptop as it was really slow, i ran some tests and determined his HDD was failing so recommended he got an SSD upgrade, so he bought one and i installed windows 10 for him, his laptop came shipped with windows 10 home, so i installed...
  5. Laptop freezes every 5 seconds for 1 second

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop freezes every 5 seconds for 1 second: My friend asked me too have a look at his laptop as it was really slow, i ran some tests and determined his HDD was failing so recommended he got an SSD upgrade, so he bought one and i installed windows 10 for him, his laptop came shipped with windows 10 home, so i installed...
  6. laptop freezes 5-10 minutes after start up for 5-7 minutes every time

laptop freezes 5-10 minutes after start up for 5-7 minutes every time: hi, every time i turn on or restart after 5-10 minutes there is a definite freezing for about 5-7 minutes, then it becomes totally fine. first occurred when i was watching a video on VLC, so i thought it was a problem in it , then no matter what application i have open at the...
  7. Windows freezes every 5 minutes since KB4559309 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows freezes every 5 minutes since KB4559309 update: My desktop computer automatically installed the KB4559309 update yesterday. Since then the screen freezes after 5-10 minutes and no mouse or keyboard commands work. I updated all drivers and do not get any error reports, so i don`t even know where to start. Does any one have...
  8. Solved: Windows freezing every 30 seconds or so.

in Windows 10 Support
    Solved: Windows freezing every 30 seconds or so.: So i've been googling like crazy person trying to figure out this problem i've been having where the PC seems to "freeze" for a bout 4 seconds every 30 seconds or a minute. I disabled tons of services, couldn't seem to narrow it down. There are lots of people with this...
  9. Blue Screening Every 5 Minutes or so.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blue Screening Every 5 Minutes or so.: I’ve never even had my computer blue screen until this morning, but now it’s blue screening pretty much every five minutes. Even if I’m not doing anything except sitting on my desktop. So I was planing on completely restarting it, and erasing all files. But now it’s even...
  10. Lagging for 5 seconds for about every 10 to 15 seconds interval

Lagging for 5 seconds for about every 10 to 15 seconds interval: I got a Asus Laptop which I've been using from past 3 years. I got this problem since past 6 months and just ignored it thinking that it's a minor issue. But now it has been affecting my daily works on the laptop and I'm irritated to wait for 5 seconds before the laptop...