Windows 10: Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch

Discus and support Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; OK, I recently upgraded by cloning my OS (Win 10 Pro) from an HDD to an SSD. I have been reading articles about prefetch and superfetch and how they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BlackDragon5, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch

OK, I recently upgraded by cloning my OS (Win 10 Pro) from an HDD to an SSD.

I have been reading articles about prefetch and superfetch and how they are with SSd's.

Well, I believe that Superfetch was indeed disabled by Win 10 when it realized I was now on an SSD.

Being that there is NO Superfetch anywhere in the Services.

Now, as to Prefetch, set the registry key to disabled and restarted. Items still kept showing up in the prefetch folder. This even after I had deleted them, or at least the one the system allowed me to do so to.

Again, left it disabled in registry and restarted after the deletion. And as soon as I could went to the prefetch folder and right before my eyes items kept appearing.

So, I decided to at least maybe benefit from the fact it seems hell bent on using prefetch and set value in registry to 2 so as to only prefetch boot related items.

Anyone here know what the you know what is going on here? Because from what I can see, YES Windows 10 did disable Superfetch. But seems a bit iffy on prefetch. Any help here would be great.

Thanks.

:)

BlackDragon5, Oct 16, 2019
  2. A123 Win User

Should Superfetch and Prefetch be disabled in Windows 10 Pro?

Should SuperFetch and Prefetch be disabled in the latest Windows 10 Pro that protects against Meltdown? I checked services and SuperFetch is running. I do not know if Prefetch is running, but my guess is that Prefetch is running. The pc is running with
    Windows 10 Pro on a fast SATA ssd. A hdd contains user data. Does the mix of a ssd with a hdd require SuperFetch and Prefetch for the latest Windows 10 Pro update that protects against Meltdown?

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings**

3. CountMike Win User
    Disable Prefetch & Superfetch

Prefetch and Superfetch are there to increase performance. As for Samsung 960 Pro, make sure you install newest, v2.3 driver. Prefetch folder is self cleaning in W10 and it will not grow indefinitely. Even after many months, mine is still 1.6MB. Not much writing even for oldest SSDs.

CountMike, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Ron33907 Win User

Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch

Superfetch missing in services

I have deleted the files under readyboost in prefetch. Still not superfetch to be found. No prefetch in the services. Used BATCMD to restart fltmgr - also not in services. Also reset superfetch from Batcmd.

Please help!

Thanks!

Ron33907, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch

1. Windows 10 Prefetch and Superfetch - Similar Threads - Prefetch Superfetch

2. Prefetch did not appear in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prefetch did not appear in Windows 11: In Windows 11, I tried to open a prefetch folder but, it did not appear... need for any assistance please.regard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prefetch-did-not-appear-in-windows-11/23ca8c72-fbe4-4797-8c72-55a798632273
  3. Prefetch did not appear in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prefetch did not appear in Windows 11: In Windows 11, I tried to open a prefetch folder but, it did not appear... need for any assistance please.regard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prefetch-did-not-appear-in-windows-11/23ca8c72-fbe4-4797-8c72-55a798632273
  4. File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch: Salve, vorrei chiedervi se per caso esiste un metodo, incluso in Windows, per controllare i file recentemente cancellati dal prefetch. Grazie in anticipo. Hi, I would like to ask you if by chance there is a method, included in Windows, to check recently deleted files from...
  5. File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch: Salve, vorrei chiedervi se per caso esiste un metodo, incluso in Windows, per controllare i file recentemente cancellati dal prefetch. Grazie in anticipo. Hi, I would like to ask you if by chance there is a method, included in Windows, to check recently deleted files from...
  6. Windows 10 Pro Prefetcher/Superfetcher Bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro Prefetcher/Superfetcher Bug: There is a bug where .zip files, .pdfs and other file formats are being cached in memory making free memory jump from GBs to MBs. The only work around I found was to turn off Prefetcher and SuperFetch in the registry and than use RAMMap to clear the standby buffer. Please...
  7. Prefetch / superfetch / hibernation - Safe for SSDs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prefetch / superfetch / hibernation - Safe for SSDs?: I've heard mixed things from multiple websites whether it's a bad thing or not, so I thought I'd just ask here. I'm wondering if it's completely safe to have it enabled. It was enabled by default I disabled it, and I thought it was extremely bad for the lifespan of them,...
  8. Exclude an exe from superfetch/prefetch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Exclude an exe from superfetch/prefetch: Hi! As I know it prefetch/superfetch creates .pf files for all executables that were previously runned. As such I don't want windows to make a specific executable's .pf file through prefetch because I don't want to disable prefetch entirely for this. Any help would be...
  9. Windows 10 Prefetch / SuperFetch is used, although an ssd is used.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Prefetch / SuperFetch is used, although an ssd is used.: Hello everybody, shouldn't Windows automatically disable Prefetch and SuperFetch when using an SSD? Although the SSD is the only drive, the registry key "EnablePrefetcher" has the value 3, the service "Sysmain" is started automatically and the folder "C:\Windows\Prefetch" is...
  10. Disable Prefetch & Superfetch

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Prefetch & Superfetch: Howdy, I've written a code in a batch file to disable Superfetch service and some other things. But the Superfetch part does not work? Code: SC Config Superfetch Start= Disabled SC Stop Superfetch[/quote] Output >> The specified service does not exist as an installed...