Windows 10: Windows 10 Preview: Prepare 7 or 8.1 with official tools

Discus and support Windows 10 Preview: Prepare 7 or 8.1 with official tools in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you’re yet to try the Windows 10 Technical Preview but don’t know how to install it alongside your primary Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system, or just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Preview: Prepare 7 or 8.1 with official tools

Read more...

See also: Prepare your PC to get Windows Technical Preview

:)

Brink, Dec 22, 2014
  2. FilChris Win User

Windows Technical Preview

Good Day! Will I have a free upgrade when I am using currently the Tech preview? Or does it have to be 8.1 or 7? (Using Tech Preview as day to day OS , Uninstalled 8.1)

When Windows 10 is released officially, Will Windows Tech Preview end?

Preview Build 10130

FilChris, Dec 22, 2014
  3. T3rr11 Win User
    Windows 10 Tech Preview to Windows 10 Offical.

Hello so i have been running the windows 10 technical preview for some time now and since windows 10's official release i have seen no way to upgrade from the technical preview to the official version of windows.

I know that you needed a windows 7 or windows 8.1 PC to get the upgrade but have i now lost my chance from using the technical preview and will i now have to reinstall windows 8.1 to then upgrade to windows 10, it just seems like so much work all because
    i install the preview?

Also if i get the official windows 10 upgrade ISO will i then have to buy a key or will my windows 8.1 key work?

T3rr11, Dec 22, 2014
  4. Edwin New Member

Did anyone run this tool?
    Besides the possibility of ISO's being available immediately in January, I'm wondering what your options will be when that preview expires;
    - revert to your previous OS,
    - upgrade and install,
    - upgrade and create media,
    - fork over your credit card!?!? *Wink

Edwin, Dec 30, 2014
  5. Nope not yet
    The plan is to upgrade 8 to 10 but will probably wait to see if pricing is different which it most likely will be as a in place upgrade rather than a solo iso
    But yea I will closely read the terms *Smile

ThrashZone, Dec 30, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I hope people saved their old OS's before installing W10 -- that way at least if you don't like W10 or don't want to pay for whatever the upgrade costs you can revert.

I think there is likely to be another (at least) build before the expiry of this one so one might well get a few months extra to try it. Remember build 9789 is NOT a finished build yet (or even an RC - Release Candidate - although it looks as if it's doing quite well in this statege of its development.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 30, 2014
  7. It would be nice to use a prior os's activation key instead of a in place upgrade install,
    Then we who don't care about the prior os can do a clean install without a whole lot of hassle or unneeded wasted disk space *Smile

ThrashZone, Dec 30, 2014
  8. Edwin New Member

Apparently all the 'tool' does is create a Registry entry that makes the Store alert you when the 'upgrade'(?) is available to download,
    but one site mentioned that would happen in January, so, I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not.

Windows 10 Preview: Prepare 7 or 8.1 with official tools [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 31, 2014
  9. Edwin New Member
  10. Bring out the big guns in a live stream *Zip

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Preview: Prepare 7 or 8.1 with official tools - Similar Threads - Preview Prepare official

2. "Preparing Windows" stuck on official Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Preparing Windows" stuck on official Windows 11: Recently, I got the problem: It appeared "Welcome" then "Preparing Windows" and it was stuck; I had to restart by holding the power button, then it appeared again, then I try pressing "Sleep" button, it appeared as "Welcome" message and stucked and then I had to restart...
  3. "Preparing Windows" stuck on official Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Preparing Windows" stuck on official Windows 11: Recently, I got the problem: It appeared "Welcome" then "Preparing Windows" and it was stuck; I had to restart by holding the power button, then it appeared again, then I try pressing "Sleep" button, it appeared as "Welcome" message and stucked and then I had to restart...
  4. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  5. Driver backup tool for windows(desktop) 7/8/10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver backup tool for windows(desktop) 7/8/10: Hi, A handy tool, made by me, to view device/driver info and backup "installed" drivers. When use this tool before formatting, drivers can be reused after fresh windows installation. This tool is for Windows 7/8/10 desktop versions. http://www..eu/drivermanager...
  6. 7-8-10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    7-8-10: I see many posts of issues with upgrades. I just wanted to share that its not all bad news with respect to 10 upgrades. I cleaned up my windows 8 install a big, removed some software I no longer used, and upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no issues. Also like to note this is my...
  7. Windows 10 technical preview system requirements-Official

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 technical preview system requirements-Official: Microsoft just took the wraps off Windows 10, its next major update to the Windows platform. The software will be designed to work among all types of devices, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones. The link to Download windows 10 will be available tomorrow as...
  8. Official FAQ regarding Windows 10 Technical Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Official FAQ regarding Windows 10 Technical Preview: I thought I 'd share some info from the Partner info document - NB: I have edited it as it was released as Confidential. Partner Q&A The new servicing approach for Windows 10 makes it easier for customers to stay current and get the latest features, while at the same...
  9. Windows 10 Preview update to Windows 10 Official

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Preview update to Windows 10 Official: Hello guys! I've been running Windows 10 Preview for about 4 months and now that Windows 10 are officially released, I don't know how to update to them from the Preview versions. Although there is no "Build xxxxx" on the right down side of my screen I don't think that the...
  10. Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed

in Windows 10 News
    Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed: Windows 9 is very likely to get its very first preview build late next month, but officially speaking, little is known so far about what’s expected to let us catch a glimpse of Microsoft’s Windows game changer. According to rumors however, Windows 9 Preview could see...