Windows 10: Windows 10 Private Network

Discus and support Windows 10 Private Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I make my Windows 10 computer visible to other computers on my home network ?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MJ077Y7G, Oct 9, 2019.

1. MJ077Y7G Win User

Windows 10 Private Network

How do I make my Windows 10 computer visible to other computers on my home network ?

:)

MJ077Y7G, Oct 9, 2019

2. Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

Windows HomeGroups and Xfinity Private Networks

Hi Gene,

Thank you for sharing the outcome when you followed the steps on how to create a HomeGroup. Please follow these steps to change the network profile to Private:

• Left click on the Wi-Fi icon at the bottom right side of the screen, near the clock.
    • Left click on Properties below your network name.
    • Under Network profile, change it to Private.
    • Create a HomeGroup again.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Fra, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Private Network - Similar Threads - Private Network

2. When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...: I have a private network for my business to share files throughout our different computers. Yesterday, it worked just fine as it has for months. However, today we cannot access files on the network from any computer. On my administrator login, when I try to open a network...
  3. When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...: I have a private network for my business to share files throughout our different computers. Yesterday, it worked just fine as it has for months. However, today we cannot access files on the network from any computer. On my administrator login, when I try to open a network...
  4. When trying to access shared files on my private network, I receive an error saying "A...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?: Newest windows was download via update two days ago, now this is happening. And yes, I checked and my "public" choice is still my chosen selected network. My VPN is listed with the active private network, and the usual network 2 is listed for the public network I prefer...
  6. How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?

How is possible both public and private networks are simultaneously showing being active?: Newest windows was download via update two days ago, now this is happening. And yes, I checked and my "public" choice is still my chosen selected network. My VPN is listed with the active private network, and the usual network 2 is listed for the public network I prefer...
  7. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?: Hi. I've googled the question I'd like to get a Straight answer to my question: Should I have my Windows 10 desktop PC set to Private or Public, and which setting would provide the best level of security?However, no matter how I word my Question, what normally comes up are...
  8. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?: Hi. I've googled the question I'd like to get a Straight answer to my question: Should I have my Windows 10 desktop PC set to Private or Public, and which setting would provide the best level of security?However, no matter how I word my Question, what normally comes up are...
  9. Could I get a Straight answer re: Private vs Public network?

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Has anyone figured out how to change network properties to private network when the option...

Has anyone figured out how to change network properties to private network when the option...: Running windows 11.When I connect to my router never gives me the option to choose private network. It doesn't have an internet connection. When I go into "manage known networks" and click on the network I'm connected to it does not display the option to choose public or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc not discoverable on network windows 10