Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi - Per the subject line, Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update. It would play various modes of surround prior to the update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mike_EE, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Mike_EE Win User

Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update

Hi -

Per the subject line, Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update. It would play various modes of surround prior to the update and other players still do. Is there a configuration option that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Mike

:)

Mike_EE, Nov 5, 2019
  2. PCLim1 Win User

Win10 Build 1903 Breaks Surround Sound?

I just recently updated my win10 to build 1903 (May 2019) and discovered my 7.1 surround sound no longer works. I've checked the sound properties and speaker setup, clicking specifically on 7.1 but when testing the channels, only left and right front speakers
    are working.

Luckily I had a laptop with build 1809 and the surround sound setup works perfectly on that

This is definitely a bug on build 1903 with regards to surround sound. Please help find a solution to this

PCLim1, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Darkonus Win User
    Microsoft store movie rentals downloaded to PC, not playing 5.1 surround sound

Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update 961ecf75-34a7-43aa-9208-4a6aba8e556e.jpg

The only audio option settings I seemed to find for the Movies & TV app were in the player while a movie is playing. Doesn't seem to be any other way to select between different audio settings like stereo or 5.1 surround. But why are the only audio options
    all (both in the above case) just showing "untitled" in the Windows 10 Movie & TV app while playing rented store movies anyway?

I've rented quite a few HD movies from the store the other day, and all showed as having Dolby 5.1 audio, such as Ex Machina, Pixels, Jurassic World! The above screen shot is while Ex Machina was playing in the app, but other supposed 5.1 audio movies had
    shown the same two confusing "untitled" audio options. Though one option does seem to increase the loudness of the stereo sound coming out the front two speakers, it doesn't matter which of the two options I select, the movies still play in simple stereo out
    the front two speakers, and never in 5.1 surround sound.

All the movies have been downloaded in full to my PC for play.

I have my PC connected to my Sony receiver via the analog multi-in, which accepts my PC ASUS M5A97 motherboard's Realtek rear audio output through 3 TRS dual channel audio connectors. When 5.1 audio is selected from the Realtek audio manager, those plugs
    output front right/left speakers on one wire, rear left/right speakers on a second wire, and center/sub speakers on the third.

My 5.1 audio works perfectly hooked up this way within the Realtek's audio manager during testing, and my Sony receiver correctly plays the 5.1 test signals. The Windows 10 Netflix app also plays 5.1 surround sound to the receiver on movies listed with it,
    as well as the Leawo Blu-ray software player I have installed plays my Blu-ray DVDs with perfect 5.1 surround sound working too. Not any issues with all the other software playing 5.1 audio, therefore I see no reason why I would even want to accept and try
    the typical suggested fix, such as uninstall/re-install audio drivers. as a trouble shooting step either.

Seems there is still something wrong going on with the Movies & TV app itself and the mp4 movie files for it to be listing multiple audio options as simply "untitled" in the player. Kind of extremely disappointing to rent great movies such as Jurassic World,
    and not get the full effect being able to hear the surround sound working!!!

So has any issue been recognized and acknowledged by Microsoft with their Movies & TV app player and PC 5.1 surround sound, and is there a fix now or in the works?

If I can't get 5.1 surround on movies, I'm certainly not going to waste money renting from the Microsoft store, I'd rather wait until the movie is on Netflix or just rent a RedBox Blu-ray so I can actually hear the movie in 5.1 surround sound like they were
    meant to be heard and enjoyed.

Regards,

~ Craig ~

Darkonus, Nov 5, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update

No surround sound on purchased movies

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

I understand your concern and will help you with the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following question:

• What is the make and model of the computer ?

• What is the make and model of the sound card?

• Does the issue occur with the movies downloaded from Movies and TV app?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below:

Method 1

I Suggest you to check the quality of videos downloaded from the app, if the issue occurs only with the movies downloaded from Movies and TV app. If the issue doesn't occur in other videos saved on the computer and persists even after download
    the HD movies from the app then I suggest you to run the app troubleshooter and check.

To do so, please follow the below link and check if that helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method 2

If the issue occurring with both the movies from the app and the videos saved on the computer then I suggest you to go to sound settings and select speaker type as 5.1.

To do so, please follow the steps below:

• 1. Press Windows key + X and select control panel.
    • 2. Click on Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Sound.
    • 3. Click the Playback tab, select Speakers, and then click
      Configure.
    • 4. Under Audio Channels, select which speakers are present in your
      speaker configuration, and then click Test. You should hear a
      tone play in each speaker. Click Next, and then follow the directions to continue the configuration process.
    • 5. Select 5.1 surround in the option and click on
      OK
    Note: Your sound card determines which options you see during the speaker configuration process. For example, if you're using a mobile PC with internal speakers, you might only see Stereo in the Audio Channels section.

If issue persists,

Method 3

Update the Sound card driver and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to update the Sound card drivers.

a. Press Windows Key + X and then click Device Manger.

b. Search for Sound, Video and Game Controllers and expand it.

c. Right click on the soundcard driver and select
    update driver software

Please get back to us with the updated status. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update

1. Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Movies & TV no longer plays surround sound after 1903 update - Similar Threads - Pro 1903 Movies

2. Sound lost after Windows update to 1903

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound lost after Windows update to 1903: Hi, I have a Windows 10 Pro Build 1903 that lost its sound. After the latest update I no longer have a "Speaker" output under my sound devices. The device is a SB X-Fi, connected to simple speakers. I've followed many various threads on how to fix (disable/re-enable,...
  3. 7.1 virtual surround sound checkbox is gone in 1903 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    7.1 virtual surround sound checkbox is gone in 1903 update: [ATTACH] Is this a bug? I've heard Microsoft removed the checkbox but Im not sure, in my office laptop with 1903 still that option. https://preview.redd.it/vpncr183r4141.png?width=641&format=png&auto=webp&s=5d8dc7a52ac0535c0931b45bcc4126671a1b3ef0 submitted by...
  4. No sound after updating to 1903

No sound after updating to 1903: So I finally got 1903 update but after it was installed I had no sound (there was some notification which led to Windows to mess up my sound settings) and tried changing settings and place of speakers plug in soundcard but no avail. Sounds worked just fine in 1809 and...
  5. no hdmi sound after windows 10 update 1903

in Windows 10 Customization
    no hdmi sound after windows 10 update 1903: My laptop updated windows 10 last week but since then I have been unable to play sound through my hdmi cable to my tv. This means I can't watch netflix or youtube videos. I had a look in the Sound box and then at Playback. In that box only my computer speakers appear. My tv...
  6. Windows 10 | No longer color calibration after 1903 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 | No longer color calibration after 1903 update: hey. just updated to windows 10 1903 update, and my laptop screen is not calibarted anymore as it used to be before the update, now it's slightly cooler and without contrast. I tired some solution with the Task Schedule, but none of them worked. I need to fix this asap,...
  7. Windows 10 | No longer color calibartion after 1903 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 | No longer color calibartion after 1903 update: hey. just updated to windows 10 1903 update, and my laptop screen is not calibarted anymore as it used to be before the update, now it's slightly cooler and without contrast. I tired some solution with the Task Schedule, but none of them worked. I need to fix this asap,...
  8. Win10 Build 1903 Breaks Surround Sound?

Win10 Build 1903 Breaks Surround Sound?: I just recently updated my win10 to build 1903 (May 2019) and discovered my 7.1 surround sound no longer works. I've checked the sound properties and speaker setup, clicking specifically on 7.1 but when testing the channels, only left and right front speakers are working....
  9. Sound setting after windows 10 update, version 1903

Sound setting after windows 10 update, version 1903: Updated to windows 10 version 1903 yesterday, but some sounds of videos/movies are very low. So I open the sound setting, then realized that under the enhancement tab, the options were replaced by 3 new options (night mode, 3D immersion and phantom speaker). Previously, I can...
  10. Win 10 update 1903 - No sound

Win 10 update 1903 - No sound: Latest version of update loaded fine but without sound. I have a Creative SB X-Fi Extreme music sound card and 5.1 surround sound speaker array. Computer sees a card but will not access. Says driver is latest version and nothing newer available Creative confirms this....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. VLC media player 7.1 surround shooter sound test download