Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi fellow users, I've noticed that when I connect thumb or external drives via USB, they take a long while (even few minutes) to mount. Moreover,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/londolut, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount

Hi fellow users,

I've noticed that when I connect thumb or external drives via USB, they take a long while (even few minutes) to mount. Moreover, Windows does not notice their removal instantly and Explorer allows to browse their content for a while (until it dismounts or I attempt to open any folder).

I've checked that Windows has the buffering option turned off (allows quick removal as it did by default), so it's pretty strange it reacts so slowly. My old machine running Windows XP was doing it instantly 15 years ago.
    The problem doesn't necessarily have to do with the latest update, I've just spotted it recently.

My machine: MSI GV62-7RC
    Win 10 Pro Build 19042.746

What I did to solve the issue so far?

When I open Device Manager, it does display older (>2 months or so) "Device not migrated" errors. Deleting the driver and allowing it to reinstall after restart didn't help.

As far as I've researched the problem, some users suffered similar issues because of Bluetooth conflicts, however in my case updating them or turning Bluetooth off in my laptop does not change anything.

Do you have any ideas?

submitted by /u/londolut
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/londolut, Jan 15, 2021
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Jan 15, 2021
  3. John32667 Win User
    Drive not mounted

Hi ,

my WD passport (500gb) and my Seagate FreeAgent Goflex Desk (2TB) do no longer mount on my Surface Pro 3 with window 10. I can see both in device manager, am mentioned the driver are up to date but in th event window I get the message drive not mounted.
    They do not appear on the computer.

any suggestions? thanks

John32667, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount

1. Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount - Similar Threads - Pro 20H2 USB

2. External USB drives cannot be mounted in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB drives cannot be mounted in Windows 10: My installation of Windows 10 is no longer able to mount partitions on external USB hard disks. The drives are recognized, they show up in the Device Manager, but the file system NTFS is not recognized and not mounted. In Disk Management, the partition is shown as healthy...
  3. External USB drives cannot be mounted in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drives cannot be mounted in Windows 10: My installation of Windows 10 is no longer able to mount partitions on external USB hard disks. The drives are recognized, they show up in the Device Manager, but the file system NTFS is not recognized and not mounted. In Disk Management, the partition is shown as healthy...
  4. External USB drives cannot be mounted in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  6. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  7. USB Flash Drives not mounting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash Drives not mounting.: USB Flash Drives are being assigned drive letters but not mounting and can't be seen in Windows File Explorer. Here is log for the drive.Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/ConfigurationSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 8/10/2021 11:33:56 AM Event ID: 442 Task...
  8. Windows 10 20H2 takes upwards of 1 minute to login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 20H2 takes upwards of 1 minute to login: First let me add some clarity and prevent confusion, I am not talking about my laptop's boot time, rather, I am talking about the time from me inputting my pin, to landing on the desktop. This can take anywhere between 50 seconds and 1 minute and 30 seconds, maybe even...
  9. windows 20h2 takes 73 minutes to boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 20h2 takes 73 minutes to boot: so when i update to 20h2 it take 73 mins to boot like it shouldnt even take that long somebody help me please im trying to do my school on it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-20h2-takes-73-minutes-to-boot/0cd6b4fb-3915-4b9b-b08f-78ad2fc81b64
  10. External USB drive wont mount

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB drive wont mount: Windows 10 Version 1909 OS18363.720 My 16tb glyph drive is formated for Exfat and all partitions mount on Mac laptop BUT on my windows 10 PC I only see 2 partitions of 16 and I am not able to ifx in disk manager or by scanning the disks. I read that this Windows Version...