Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 will not boot or restart with WD USB drives set for Storage Spaces...

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro 20H2 will not boot or restart with WD USB drives set for Storage Spaces... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 1. Bios set to not boot to USB. 2. New HP Envy Laptop with USB 3.x A port. 3. New USB 3.x A multi 8 port Hub. 4. Five new WD Element 12TB USB 3.x... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by M Leary, Jan 26, 2021.

1. M Leary Win User

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 will not boot or restart with WD USB drives set for Storage Spaces...

1. Bios set to not boot to USB.

2. New HP Envy Laptop with USB 3.x A port.

3. New USB 3.x A multi 8 port Hub.

4. Five new WD Element 12TB USB 3.x External Drives.

5. Each reformatted in Win 10 20H2 Pro as NTFS before setup.

6. Set up as Storage Space.

7. Data from an older share WD 8TB successfully copied to Storage Space. Functions normally.

8. Upon a restart the HP Envy 2020 fails and stays at a blank screen until cable pulled out.

9. HP stumped as they want to reset Windows at factory check. Seems to not be an easy issue but does seem to indicate in the community WD has problems with Storage Space. Perhaps its the BIOS which is current this week?

Links originally found to troubleshoot stated WD has problems 2015
    Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool - Microsoft Community

WD supplied: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12939/kw/Computer won't boot when My book

A log of my support call suggests WD does not support HUBS as an excuse. I cannot seem to post a PDF print of the discussion. So does anyone care to discuss this issue and I can use their chat answers instead?

Thanks,

Michael

:)

M Leary, Jan 26, 2021

2. Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

I have the same problem as George. I applied the suggested fix with no results.

I have a Levono desktop that had been upgraded from 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. I purchased a WD 6 TB USB 3 drive. The system boot halts at the Lenovo splash screen when the WD drive is attached. Works normally if the drive is plugged in after boot. WD says its
    a Lenovo problem, Lenovo says its a software problem. So Microsoft, what do you say?

Ronster154, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

For some reason, my Windows 10 Home will no longer boot or restart if my USB Storage Spaces drives are attached. It hangs on the initial "Toshiba" splash screen and never loads Windows 10. If I unplug the USB cord to the Storage Spaces drive, and reboot,
    everything loads fine. At which point I manually reattach my USB cord for the Storage Space drives to the computer and it goes through the process of reading the drives and bringing the Storage Spaces back on line.

I don't know if this is related to my growing pool of 16 USB Storage Spaces pool drives (about 50TB), or if there is something else preventing my computer from rebooting with the pool drives attached. When I first was building my Storage Spaces pool, and
    had only a handful of drives, there was no problem. I now have waited as long as 30 minutes for the computer to reboot with the 16 current drives attached, but it just hangs. Only takes about 1-2 minutes to load without drives attached, then another 2 minutes
    to recognize the Storage Spaces pool drives when reattached.

Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts as to a solution? Obviously, not too hard to boot everything manually, but would certainly prefer not to have the system hang after every restart when the drives are attached. Thanks for any comments.

GeorgeTaus, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Pro 20H2 will not boot or restart with WD USB drives set for Storage Spaces...

Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

This is George, the original poster on this thread. I don't know what MS will say, but I can tell you that I have spent months dealing with WD and their USB HDDs failing in Storage Spaces. I don't know why, but my problems all came back to the WD drives
    in my Storage Spaces pool. Eventually, every one of my WD drives was finally detected as bad by Storage Spaces and then automatically the data was reallocated to other drives, then SS would tell me to remove the WD drive. WD tech support Level 1 was not very
    helpful, and they completely avoided any responsibility for problems with their WD drives in SS.

However, I keep pressing the issue and got passed up to a WD Level II tech support. They remote desktop controlled my system and were able to verify that of my 16 USB HDDs in the SS pool, only the WD drives were marked as failed. They replaced my WD Elements
    USB HDDs with WD My Book USB HDDs, which is an upgrade model. The new WD My Book replacements worked for a short period of time in SS, but also failed in SS after only weeks. I know for a fact that WD Level II tech support is aware of the problems I have had
    and reported with their WD USB HDDs in my SS pool. They said they cannot reproduce the problem in their SS setup at WD.

Although WD Tech Level II support was outstanding in their customer service and working with me to resolve the issue with their drives in SS, in the end, they still don't know why their drives are marked as failing and automatically removed from the SS pool.
    Mind you, all my WD USB HDDs work perfectly fine as standalone drives and all passed the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics tests both before and after their failures in the SS pool.

Unfortunately, I have had to replace ALL my WD drives in my SS pool and replace them with other brands. I have resorted to using my WD USB HDDs as offline backup only. Until/If WD ever figures out why their drives are failing in SS, I will not buy WD anymore
    for my SS pool. NONE of my other brand drives (Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, Toshiba, etc) have ever had any problems in SS.

To your original question, my problems with the computer not booting and/or crashing after running, all stopped when I removed the WD USB HDDs from my pool. SS does not like these WD drives and WD knows of the problem. PM me if you want the name of the contact
    I worked with in WD Tech Level II support. Maybe talking to the same tech rep with your problems will save you time and frustration that I have going through for months. At least he knows the problem is there and WD still has not found a cause/solution. But
    like I said, my final solution was just to replace all the WD HDDs with other brands. Good luck.

GeorgeTaus, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 will not boot or restart with WD USB drives set for Storage Spaces...

1. Windows 10 Pro 20H2 will not boot or restart with WD USB drives set for Storage Spaces... - Similar Threads - Pro 20H2 boot

2. Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2: USB drives take minutes to mount: Hi fellow users, I've noticed that when I connect thumb or external drives via USB, they take a long while (even few minutes) to mount. Moreover, Windows does not notice their removal instantly and Explorer allows to browse their content for a while (until it dismounts or I...
  3. 20H2 and Parity storage spaces

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    20H2 and Parity storage spaces: I'm currently holding my desktop rig at Windows 10 1909 because I use Parity storage spaces. Has anyone here used Parity storage spaces on 20H2 and is able to confirm the 2004 bug has been fixed? I had to restore from backup when I first updated to 2004 and I don't want to...
  4. Drives set up with storage spaces not recognized after restart.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drives set up with storage spaces not recognized after restart.: After a restart the computer hung for several minutes during startup, so I held the power button and then it loaded fine. After signing in I noticed that my D drive was missing, then I looked at the disk management utility where it asked me to initialize the disk then it...
  5. Windows 10 install don't boot : EMMC drive set as Storage Space Device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install don't boot : EMMC drive set as Storage Space Device: Hi, I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 x64 on a HP notebook after malware, but have a problem with the EMMC drive that doesn't appear in boot manager and gives an error "Boot Device Not Found" at start. I have done a lot of tests and follow all usual methods to reinstall...
  6. Storage Space drives not usable by new Windows 10 Pro installation

Storage Space drives not usable by new Windows 10 Pro installation: Struggling to find a solution beside formatting the drives and rebuilding the array. I've installed an SSD in my Plex server. The old Windows 10 setup included a Storage Spaces array. Thew new Win10 setup doesn't acknowledge the array or the drives. UEFI sees the drives, but...
  7. Upgrading Windows 10 pro and storage space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 pro and storage space: I want to upgrade the hardware on my home media server (Plex) running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809. I have my Storage Spaces disks connected using a dedicated RAID card, with the disks configured as JBOD. I wonder, if I upgrade the hardware and reinstall Windows 10 pro to the...
  8. Storage Spaces and Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro

Storage Spaces and Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro: I am planning on upgrading the hardware on my home media server (Plex). It runs on Windows 10 Pro (1809). My Storage Spaces disks are connected to my system via a dedicated RAID card, with the disks just configured as JBOD. It is a 16 disk pool comprising 36TB of raw...
  9. Windows 10 - WD external USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - WD external USB drive: Anybody out there having Windows 10 running and also one or more WD drives visible within Windows. None of my WD drives show up. Only after installing Western Digital's SES driver, two (of 4) show up. When installing Samsung Magician software it got me a warning that it...
  10. Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of your data so if one...