Windows 10: Windows 10 pro 64bit activation issue after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu

Discus and support Windows 10 pro 64bit activation issue after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Unable to activate Windows 10 pro 64bit digital license after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu. Added device prior to swap to my Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TheresaThompson3, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Windows 10 pro 64bit activation issue after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu

Unable to activate Windows 10 pro 64bit digital license after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu. Added device prior to swap to my Microsoft account. Any ideas on why to resolve this issue.

:)

TheresaThompson3, Jan 21, 2020

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Windows 10 pro 64bit activation issue after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu

Windows activation error

Hi Brandon,

Before replacing the Mother Board if Windows 10 was activated, then you can refer the steps/link below for activating Windows 10.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 pro 64bit activation issue after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu

1. Windows 10 pro 64bit activation issue after hardware change replaced motherboard and cpu - Similar Threads - pro 64bit activation

2. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.: If memory serves, I did a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 shortly after it became available. I believe this was a download from the internet and I have a thumbdrive labeled Win10 that dates from that update. There was never any factory packaging and any e-mails for that...
  3. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.: If memory serves, I did a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 shortly after it became available. I believe this was a download from the internet and I have a thumbdrive labeled Win10 that dates from that update. There was never any factory packaging and any e-mails for that...
  4. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  5. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  6. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement: I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade through the MS website. The website shows the purchase on my account. When the PC was returned, they had replaced...
  8. No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.

No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.: Split from this thread.This PC is running an activated Windows 10. I have replaced the motherboard & CPU NOT the hard disk with the activated software and system now tells me it needs activating - and no error code is produced by the system. The inability to communicate...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Not activated after replacing motherboard

Windows 10 Pro Not activated after replacing motherboard: Hi today I replaced my motherboard, and the Windows 10 Pro is not active anymore. I've tried troubleshooting with no results, I had seen through googling there would be a "I've changed handware recently" prompt that has not appeared. My error code is 0x803F7001 and my key...
  10. Issue Activating Windows After Changing Motherboard and CPU

Issue Activating Windows After Changing Motherboard and CPU: I recently upgraded my CPU and Motherboard, but after doing so my Windows 10 Pro is no longer activated. I haven't done anything to my hard drive, other than hooking it up to the new CPU and Motherboard. I've tried re-entering my Windows Product Key, but it gives me an error....