Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Eray001, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Eray001 Win User

Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade through the MS website. The website shows the purchase on my account. When the PC was returned, they had replaced the motherboard and reloaded the factory install.I had a cloned image and loaded that. It boots OK, but Windows is telling me it's not activated. This is a newer PC and the Windows 10 Home key was entered automatically when I did the initial setup. The key isn't listed anywhere on the packing box or on a label on the PC its

:)

Eray001, Dec 8, 2021
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Dec 8, 2021
  3. ceck3 Win User
    Activating Win 10 after replacing Motherboard

I recently had to replace a motherboard on a Lenovo ThinkCentre due to a blown power supply. After recovering, Windows was not activated and I can't use the troubleshooter to remediate. This system was shipped with Win 7 Pro and upgraded to Win 10 during
    the free promotion offer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get Win 10 reactivated in this scenario?

Also any thoughts on why Win 10 doesn't recognize the DVD or USB ports in File Explorer?

ceck3, Dec 8, 2021
  4. nkienitz Win User

Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Pro ?

Just replaced motherboard on my old Dell D830 that I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro last August.

Went through steps on setting up new MOBO and it is up/working just fine.

I happened to run Belarc Advisor just to get a snapshot of data for the file. What is interesting is that Belarc indicates the O/S is Windows 8 Pro (build 9200).

I looked at another recent thread here at TenForums and also took some of the steps suggested and figured that maybe I needed to install or re-install Windows 10. I checked the Update/Security/Activation tab and it indicates that Windows 10 Pro is installed, activated with a digital entitlement.

So ... why does Belarc seem to see only Windows 8 Pro? Maybe because of the "maturity" of the D830? I know that Dell has disclaimers at their site that says the D830 has not been certified for Windows 10.

So, it is working, but the data from Belarc just has me scratching my head.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

nkienitz, Dec 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement - Similar Threads - Pro Activation motherboard

2. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.: If memory serves, I did a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 shortly after it became available. I believe this was a download from the internet and I have a thumbdrive labeled Win10 that dates from that update. There was never any factory packaging and any e-mails for that...
  3. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.: If memory serves, I did a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 shortly after it became available. I believe this was a download from the internet and I have a thumbdrive labeled Win10 that dates from that update. There was never any factory packaging and any e-mails for that...
  4. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement: I am the original owner of an Intel PC that I purchased off Amazon with a fully activated version of Windows 10 Pro OEM. My computer died completely and Intel sent me a new motherboard but it will not accept the Product Key any longer. Do I really have to buy a new version of...
  6. Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement

Activation of Windows 10 Pro after motherboard failure and replacement: I am the original owner of an Intel PC that I purchased off Amazon with a fully activated version of Windows 10 Pro OEM. My computer died completely and Intel sent me a new motherboard but it will not accept the Product Key any longer. Do I really have to buy a new version of...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement: I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade through the MS website. The website shows the purchase on my account. When the PC was returned, they had replaced...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement: I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade through the MS website. The website shows the purchase on my account. When the PC was returned, they had replaced...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Not activated after replacing motherboard

Windows 10 Pro Not activated after replacing motherboard: Hi today I replaced my motherboard, and the Windows 10 Pro is not active anymore. I've tried troubleshooting with no results, I had seen through googling there would be a "I've changed handware recently" prompt that has not appeared. My error code is 0x803F7001 and my key...
  10. Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement

Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement: I got my computer professionally built just over a month ago but had to get them to replace a faulty motherboard. Unfortunately its now not allowing me activate Windows. I definitely activated it before the motherboard broke and its definitely attached to my account (I can...