Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm not seeing this question answered, or anything like it, so here goes: some years ago, I took advantage of the free upgrade from 7 to 10 Home. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CaryZeitlin, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM

I'm not seeing this question answered, or anything like it, so here goes: some years ago, I took advantage of the free upgrade from 7 to 10 Home. I then purchased a license to upgrade 10 Home to 10 Pro. A few months back, this machine was lost when the system drive failed catastrophically. However, I recently found that I had made a VM image of it (which I'd forgotten about), and I can bring it up under VirtualBox to recover some things that were otherwise lost. This is great, but...Win 10 Pro won't activate. Things I've tried that failed:

(1) Using the license on the outside of the computer - this is presumably the original Win 7 license and it doesn't work, no surprise.

(2) Using the Activation Troubleshooter and telling it "I recently changed hardware" - this says it can't be activated. Oddly, though, when I look at my Microsoft account, it shows the VM as running Win10 Pro and it says "No problems detected." You would think the lack of activation would show up there but apparently not.

(3) Calling support and getting transferred and then transferred again and finally giving up after 20 minute on hold and an hour overall.

(4) Running "SLUI 4" from Powershell - it returns a blank.

(5) Poking around the registry and finding that there are keys there for both DigitalProductId and DigitalProductId4.

I'm pretty much out of ideas for things to try. Maybe it's just the case that a VM is never going to be considered a valid instance for purposes of the old license, but it doesn't seem like I should have to pay again considering that I bought the 10 Home to 10 Pro upgrade. And that reminds me of another problem, that purchase was made so long ago that it no longer appears in the list of purchases under my Microsoft account. If it did, presumably the Win10 Pro digital key would be available there, but no such luck.

:)

CaryZeitlin, Dec 2, 2019
  2. hboers_ Win User

Activation and Re-activation of Windows 10 Pro VM (VirtualBox, OSX Host) not working

I've moved a working and activated Windows 10 Pro VM (VirtualBox) from a Windows 10 Host to an OSX Host. The re-activation of the is not Working (Error Code 0xC004C003). I also moved a Windows 7 Pro VM that reactivate without problems. I tried everything
    mentioned in the process to activate. Nothing works or even outputs some useful hint or support contact.

• used another (afaik unused) product key. not working! Same Error Code.
    • created a new VM and installed a fresh Windows 10 pro. The new machine can not be activated!

Thus this seems to be a problem within the crappy M$ activation system.

Any useful hint how to activate this M$ crap would be highly appreciated.

hboers_, Dec 2, 2019
  3. MMO77 Win User
    Windows 10 VM activation

Hi,

I am trying to setup two Windows 10 vms for test purposes on Ovirt virtualization cluster. (Windows 10 Pro with MAK key from visual studio (MSDN) subscription).

Activation of the first vm encountered no problem, but activation of the second one failed. I have tried to setup second vm by all available means (by cloning from the first one with or without sysprep, from activated state or from clean installed snapshot,
    by installing second vm from scratch, etc.). All are with the same results: The last product key you entered XXXXX can't be used on this copy of Windows (0xC0EA0003).

Is it possible to have several Win 10 vms on the same hypervisor, activated with MAK key?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

MMO77, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Stephen-W Win User

Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM

Problem Re-Activating Windows 10 after doing a clean install on Mac Pro 2013

Situation:

• Running Activated Windows 8.1 Pro on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) in a Bootcamp partition.
    • Upgraded to Windows 10 and Windows showed as Activated.
    • Did a Clean install of Windows 10 which showed as Activated
    • From OS X using VMware Fusion 7 configured a Virtual Machine using the Boot Camp Partition as the system Disk (did NOT import)
    • Windows at first showed NOT Activated when running within VM Fusion but continue to show Activated when Booting into Windows directly.
    • Eventually Windows showed Activated in both situations (Running Windows directly and Through VM Fusion using bootcamp partitiion)
    • Did a Complete Wipe of Both OS X and Windows 10.
    • Did Clean Installed OSX
    • Did Clean Install of Windows 10 in a new bootcamp partition
    • Windows will now NOT Activate.
    I include the information about VM Fusion to see if this has caused a problem with the Activation on the new clean install of Windows 10.

My understanding is that the Windows 10 upgrade will be LOCKED to the first machine it was activate on, which would be the Mac Pro booting directly into Windows.

I have read in several posts that the Activation Servers may be overloaded with registrations and to try either

• slmgr.vbs /ato
    • slmgr.vbs -rearm ( and then Reboot)
    Neither works.

I have also tried Reinstalling Windows 8.1 Pro and activating it. (Which works fine)

I then upgrading to Windows 10, and the system will not Activate.

Please advise on next steps.

Regards

Stephen-W, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM

1. Windows 10 Pro activation on a VM - Similar Threads - Pro activation

2. Can't activate windows 10 pro on a new device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate windows 10 pro on a new device: Hello Everyone!This is my story:After many years of using my laptop I've built a new PC.My laptop runs a valid windows 10 pro which I got after a free upgrade for a valid win 8.1.This means I have a digital license onlyI've used the media creator and installed win 10, but the...
  3. Can't activate windows 10 pro on a new device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows 10 pro on a new device: Hello Everyone!This is my story:After many years of using my laptop I've built a new PC.My laptop runs a valid windows 10 pro which I got after a free upgrade for a valid win 8.1.This means I have a digital license onlyI've used the media creator and installed win 10, but the...
  4. Can't activate windows 10 pro on a new device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My windows 11 pro suddenly said its not activated and activate windows is written on my screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 11 pro suddenly said its not activated and activate windows is written on my screen.: I tried troubleshooting, searched in internet but nothing worked. I have windows 11 pro and where i built my pc they activated and it was perfectly fine....
  6. My windows 11 pro suddenly said its not activated and activate windows is written on my screen.

My windows 11 pro suddenly said its not activated and activate windows is written on my screen.: I tried troubleshooting, searched in internet but nothing worked. I have windows 11 pro and where i built my pc they activated and it was perfectly fine....
  7. I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...: I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. When I click on my purchase history, it opens a new browser tab and says "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found." I am trying to get my product key so I can activate the upgraded Windows 11...
  8. I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...

I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. I am trying to get...: I just purchased Windows Pro upgrade and I am not able to activate it. When I click on my purchase history, it opens a new browser tab and says "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found." I am trying to get my product key so I can activate the upgraded Windows 11...
  9. Activation Issue ''Window 11 home license but running Window 11 Pro''

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation Issue ''Window 11 home license but running Window 11 Pro'': HI everyone,I just purchased new PC and start it now. But when i went on to the window activation section it says ''We found window 11 home license for this device but running window 11 pro.'' So please anyone can give me direction to tackle this issue right now as a lot of...
  10. Activation Issue ''Window 11 home license but running Window 11 Pro''

Activation Issue ''Window 11 home license but running Window 11 Pro'': HI everyone,I just purchased new PC and start it now. But when i went on to the window activation section it says ''We found window 11 home license for this device but running window 11 pro.'' So please anyone can give me direction to tackle this issue right now as a lot of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activate windows 10 pro on vm