Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro antimalware service executable - high CPU usage. Unable to resolve. Looking...

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro antimalware service executable - high CPU usage. Unable to resolve. Looking... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am having an issue with the antimalware service executable using a large amount of CPU. On boot, it typically uses 30% CPU and ramps up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ClintMCM, May 21, 2020.

1. ClintMCM Win User

Windows 10 Pro antimalware service executable - high CPU usage. Unable to resolve. Looking...

Hello,

I am having an issue with the antimalware service executable using a large amount of CPU. On boot, it typically uses 30% CPU and ramps up to 100% CPU, causing any programs or games I launch to freeze and crash. It's worth noting that the CPU usage numbers in my task manager do not add up to 100%, they are not even close with a deficit of about 40% of unaccounted for CPU usage. It is also worth noting that when this issue presents itself, all other programs launched will consume an unusual amount of CPU. A specific example is launching Firefox, this typically uses less than 10% CPU. When the high CPU issue is present, it can use in excess of 50% CPU. It is generally present upon booting into Windows, but sometimes it is not. If it is not initially present, it can happen sporadically/randomly and crash whatever program is currently running.

The issue presented itself following the installation of a Windows update, I am unsure as to the exact update, however; KB4541338 was installed on March 18, 2020, KB4552152 was installed on April 21, 2020 and KB4552931 was installed on May 18, 2020. It is reasonable to assume one of these updates is related to my issue as I have not installed any other software in this time frame.

I am the only user of my system and I am EXTREMELY cautious as to what I install. I only have programs installed that I use regularly and have vetted. I can't recall installing any "new" software since building my system 2 years ago. This does not include regular updates to existing software.

I have tried the following to rectify the issue:

1 Ran SFC. Errors were found and corrected successfully. Subsequent runs of SFC report no errors.

2 Ran DISM. Errors were found and corrected successfully. Subsequent runs of DISM report no errors.

3 Ensured all 3rd party software and drivers are the latest version e.g. Nvidia Geforce drivers, intel chipset drivers, intel ethernet drivers, Realtek sound card drivers, Corsair ICue RGB software, ASUS Aura RGB Software.

4 Removed Realtek sound card drivers and replaced with generic Windows HD Audio drivers I read Realtek drivers have had compatibility issues

5 Installed Bitdefender free and ran a full scan. No threats detected. Uninstalled Bitdefender.

6 Ran Malwarebytes Premium 4.1.0 full scan including rootkits. No threats detected.

7 Ran AdwCleaner 8.04. No threats detected.

8 Disabled Fast Boot in BIOS.

9 Confirmed BIOS is the latest version. HERO IX - version 1301, has been current since the BIOS update was available.

10 Confirmed MsMpEng.exe is in the Windows Defender exception list.

11 Confirmed the Windows Defender folder is in the Windows Defender exception list.

12 Confirmed no unnecessary programs are installed and are present in Startup.

13 Changed page file allocation to automatic. Previously I had it set at 2GB

None of these had any effect. So I disabled Windows Defender via the Group Policy, and the issue disappeared. I re-enabled Windows Defender, and to no one's surprise, the issue resurfaced. I now have it disabled again so I can use my computer.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this any further. I would like to continue to use Windows Defender, but cannot due to its CPU hogging malfunction.

What is going on here?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

:)

ClintMCM, May 21, 2020

2. Antimalware Service Executable High CPU

I am experiencing high CPU usage on the Antimalware Service Executable on my Surface Pro i7 1 tb (2017). This has been going on for a couple of months. It makes my computer almost unusable. The CPU sits at 100% any time I try to use it. The CPU has
    over 50% usage when nothing is being run in the foreground all the time (24 hours a day). The April update was just installed and the Antimalware Service Executable is still running at over 40% of the CPU utilization.

Todd Haehn, May 21, 2020
  3. Antimalware Service Executable, high cpu, memory and disk usage

I'm having the high CPU usage and it appears that antimalware service executable is to blame. Yes, I had Norton installed and used the removal tool. What do you think could be the problem?

MichaelGray336, May 21, 2020
  4. SarahKong Win User

Windows 10 Pro antimalware service executable - high CPU usage. Unable to resolve. Looking...

SarahKong, May 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro antimalware service executable - high CPU usage. Unable to resolve. Looking... - Similar Threads - Pro antimalware service

2. Antimalware Service Executable high CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Antimalware Service Executable high CPU usage: Hello, The process Antimalware Service Executable is always on and consuming at least a 40% of my CPU. This started to happen a couple of months ago a bit, but now it is continuous. I have tried the different solutions posted in this community but none of them work for me I...
  3. Antimalware Service Executable high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antimalware Service Executable high CPU usage: Hello, The process Antimalware Service Executable is always on and consuming at least a 40% of my CPU. This started to happen a couple of months ago a bit, but now it is continuous. I have tried the different solutions posted in this community but none of them work for me I...
  4. Antimalware Service Executable high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. High CPU and power usage by Antimalware Service Executable.

High CPU and power usage by Antimalware Service Executable.: The Antimalware service executable is running every time and consuming 10%-12% of CPU and a lot of power. Because of this the batttery is draining very fast. Please help with this issue. Screenshot:...
  6. High CPU usage because of Antimalware service executable

High CPU usage because of Antimalware service executable: The problem seems to have started a week ago. Antimalware service executable takes up a lot of CPU usage and battery on my laptop.I tried everything but nothing works. Added the file to the exclusion list, changed Window's Defender schedule, scanned for any malware. I did not...
  7. Antimalware service executable very high CPU usages

Antimalware service executable very high CPU usages: For some time the fan on my PC laptop has been running at full speed with no programmes running. When I went into Task Manager I found that Antimalware service executable was using very high CPU. I followed various threads on here which made different suggestions eg:...
  8. Antimalware Service Executable High RAM and CPU usage.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antimalware Service Executable High RAM and CPU usage.: Hello! I was wondering why Antimalware Service Executable is taking up over half of my computer's RAM and CPU usage. I tried excluding it in Windows Security and trying to change the schedule in Task Scheduler, but no luck. I have the latest version of Windows 10 just so you...
  9. Antimalware service executable high CPU usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antimalware service executable high CPU usage: Recently antimalware service executable has been showing moderate to high CPU usage for about 10 seconds every 90 seconds approximately. This appears to be slowing some of my application software. I had not noticed this previously. Is there a simple a solution to this other...
  10. High CPU usage because of Antimalware Service Executable

High CPU usage because of Antimalware Service Executable: I don't know why but Antimalware Service Executable is using 80% if my CPU. I did anything to try to stop it but it didn't work. Stopped the windows defender, adding the file to the exclusion list, even doing an full scan for any kind of malware but it seems i can't get...