Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I recently bought a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and noticed that BitLocker had... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ElshadK, Feb 22, 2019.

1. ElshadK Win User

Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker

Hi,

I recently bought a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and noticed that BitLocker had turned on automatically on both C and D drives. Is this normal?

:)

ElshadK, Feb 22, 2019
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Feb 22, 2019
  3. Viruzz Win User

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Feb 22, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker

more clear
    0down voteaccepted
    I managed to figure out how to fix this. It doesn't use the native auto-unlock function like I was hoping (rather a script that unlocks using a .BEK file, as I mentioned) but it seems to work just as well.

First, you need to create a .BEK file that can unlock the disk. This is the command I used:

manage-bde -protectors -add d: -rk c:\

Substitute d: with whichever drive you want to auto-unlock. The output will look something like this (take note of the "external key file name"):

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Key Protectors Added:

Saved to directory c:\

External Key:
    ID: {9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551}
    External Key File Name:
    9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551.BEK

Now you need to create the script to unlock the drive. Just create a batch file in the root directory with the following line:

manage-bde -unlock d: -rk C:\[external key filename]

Again, replace d: with the correct drive letter. Replace [external key filename] with the filename you got before.

Finally, you need to tell Windows to run this script at startup, before you log in. (Or at least I needed it to run then, because that's where my desktop, etc. are stored.) Here's how you do that:

• Press Win+R and enter gpedit.msc. (This is only in Pro, but so is BitLocker, so that's not an issue here.)

• On the left, navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

• Double-click "Startup" on the right

• Click "Add..." and select the batch file you created before.

• Click OK and exit Group Policy Editor.
    Now you can reboot the computer to test it. You should see your drive automatically unlocked

Rafa anabe, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker

1. Windows 10 Pro automatic BitLocker - Similar Threads - Pro automatic BitLocker

2. Windows automatic repair and bitlocker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows automatic repair and bitlocker: I have blocker on my computer. When i updated the compete and restarted it today, it went into repair after the restart. It asks for the bitlocker password, which is fine. After passing the normal bitlocker page, it asks for the recovery key. It was 6 years ago that i set it...
  3. BitLocker for Windows 10 Pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker for Windows 10 Pro: Hi everyone I am looking at ways to encrypt my drive but I have never done this before. I need to make sure it does what I think it does. If an unauthorized person has physical access to a hard drive and the drive is not encrypted then accessing those files is super easy....
  4. Bitlocker on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker on Windows 10 Pro: I updated my Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro so that I could use bitlocker. I have an ASUS laptop without a TPM and 2 harddisks. Each harddisk is partioned with 2 partations which give me the drives C;, D:, E: and F:. The Windows system is installed on drive C:. Hyper-V is...
  5. Windows 10 Pro - Turn Bitlocker on

Windows 10 Pro - Turn Bitlocker on: Hi, I've just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Pro and went to turn Bitlocker on and got this message: This device cannot use a Trusted Platform Module. Your administrator must set Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM" option in thr "Require additional authentication...
  6. BITLOCKER AUTOPLAY WINDOWS 10 PRO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BITLOCKER AUTOPLAY WINDOWS 10 PRO: Is there any way that when I plugged in an encrypted USB drive that the password prompt is automaticlly displayed? At this time when I plug in my device I get a blank File Explorer "Location is not available" windows and message that "G:\ is not accessible. Access is...
  7. Bitlocker 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker 10 Pro: Hi there, my company has recommended that I purchse bitlocker Pro to protect data on my computer, can you provide me with guidance on how to purchase and install here ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-10-pro/4c20a1c4-fd94-4058-ab6f-c9aa96807226
  8. Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 1803 - automatically bitlocking drives?: I just performed a clean install of Windows 10 on a new HP desktop. I ran Windows updates, pulled a drive out of an old Windows 7 PC, connected it via SATA to the new PC to copy data. I left it in overnight. This morning I came in, unplugged the drive and connected it to...
  9. Bitlocker not encrypting document partition (Windows 10 Pro)

Bitlocker not encrypting document partition (Windows 10 Pro): I've turned on Bitlocker on my laptop. It doesn't seem to have encrypted all of my logical drives, and for a couple of them it doesn't give me the option. I have a 1 TB hybrid drive which currently has 4 partitions: C, E, F, and a recovery partition. As far as I recall, I...
  10. Windows 10 Pro automatic updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro automatic updates: I have Win10 Home set up to my satisfaction but am annoyed by the automatic updates. If I upgrade to Pro will it allow me to have the choice of being notified when updates are available and allow me to install them or not? Something similar to Win 7's update handling would...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. automatic unlock bitlocker Windows10 system disk

2. new laptop auto bitlocking 2019