Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro deactivated - started with misidentified hardware change? Completely stuck...

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro deactivated - started with misidentified hardware change? Completely stuck... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows has deactivated my Windows software, mistakenly I believe - it looks like Microsoft/Windows Updater thinks I made a hardware change recently.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stanleythegrate, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Pro deactivated - started with misidentified hardware change? Completely stuck...

Windows has deactivated my Windows software, mistakenly I believe - it looks like Microsoft/Windows Updater thinks I made a hardware change recently. Here's why I think that: when I request an update in Settings, Updater says its updating my computer with an AMD64 reference. But my laptop -- computer in question -- is equipped with an Intel CPU. I have an AMD64-equipped desktop, but I'm not trying to update that. Here's what I think happened: I got a USB plug-in for my Samsung Galalxy Note 4 cell phone, and plugged it into the laptop -- I was going to be somewhere where there wasn't an Internet connection for my laptop, so I wanted to be able to use MS Office apps on my laptop, then transfer them via the USB connection to my cell phone from whence I could blast them off into the Internet. Anyway, no sooner had I plugged in that USB device and up pops the message that my Windows system has been deactivated and needs activating. No amount of frettig with the Activation troubleshooter has resoved this problem. Now when I ran my Dell diagnostics software -- I'm using a Dell Latitude E6420 laptop -- it shows that I've made a recent hardware change, specifically having to do with the hard drive,. I've done no such thing of course. Well, I ramble. What I would really like is a way to fix this problem. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1809, and I'm on the Insider program if that's of any interest. I can't get beyond where I'm at now, and Microsoft Support tells me that my version of Windows can't be activated or reactivated by phone. Would I ever appreciate some help!

:)

stanleythegrate, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Kolby65 Win User
    Activating Windows 10 Pro After a Hardware Upgrade!

I followed all the steps to linking my Windows 10 Pro to my Microsoft account so that I could upgrade my hardware, reinstall Windows 10 Pro, and activate it, but it's not working. I'm signed into my Microsoft account. I tried the activation troubleshooter,
    selecing that I recently changed hardware, etc. Nothing is working. I can see my old computer under my Microsoft account, as well as my new one (with better hardware). I changed the motherboard, ram, and CPU. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Kolby65, Apr 20, 2019
  4. samsooNB Win User

Windows 10 Pro deactivated - started with misidentified hardware change? Completely stuck...

Unable to install back window after hardware change

i have purchase and installed window 10 Pro retail version. recently my hardware suffer a serious crash and CPU and MOBO was change out. I cannot reinstall my window 10 pro retail not OEM. If i not wrong i did not link microsolf acc to this window10
    pro earlier as i do not use any of the microsolf app at all. just the window platform will do but i never think it is so complicated and troublesome to hardware change reinstall. I try every step procedure provided but key was not recognise. No device is link
    for deactivate also.

samsooNB, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro deactivated - started with misidentified hardware change? Completely stuck...

1. Windows 10 Pro deactivated - started with misidentified hardware change? Completely stuck... - Similar Threads - Pro deactivated started

2. Windows 10 deactivates after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 deactivates after hardware change.: So, for Christmas I got new parts to upgrade my computer. And after I installed the new motherboard, RAM and processor going from AM3+ to AM4 I saw that my Windows was deactivated.I ran the troubleshooter and at first it didn't work, but then I restarted the pc and it worked....
  3. Windows 10 deactivates after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 deactivates after hardware change.: So, for Christmas I got new parts to upgrade my computer. And after I installed the new motherboard, RAM and processor going from AM3+ to AM4 I saw that my Windows was deactivated.I ran the troubleshooter and at first it didn't work, but then I restarted the pc and it worked....
  4. Windows 10 deactivates after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. After hardware change windows was deactivated

After hardware change windows was deactivated: I recently changed hardware on my computer which had windows, when i changed most of the hardware, as to be expected, my windows had been deactivated, it still had the product ID etc. When it told me to troubleshoot it i did and followed all its steps and consulted a robot...
  6. Windows deactivated after hardware change.

Windows deactivated after hardware change.: Hi. My windows has deactivated after I replaced most of my computer and I never had a digital license. I brought my computer second hand so windows was already installed and activated. I have tried the activation troubleshooter and it didn't fix my issue. I don't have the...
  7. Windows Deactivated Due to "Hardware Change"

Windows Deactivated Due to "Hardware Change": Windows was deactivated because I plugged in an old hard drive that had an installation of Windows in it so I could extract some old data. I set the boot order to ensure that I had the correct drive to boot my new drive to the system, but it didn't boot correctly. Powered...
  8. Windows 10 Deactivated after hardware change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Deactivated after hardware change: I changed my motherboard, CPU and RAM yesterday and as I expected Windows 10 was deactivated. I do not have a key, it was activated automatically after upgrading from Windows 7 before but now that happened. I tried the troubleshooter, it didn't do anything. Is there anything...
  9. Windows 10 deactivated after a hardware change.

Windows 10 deactivated after a hardware change.: So long story short... I upgraded from window 7 to 10 during the free upgrade period with help over the phone from Microsoft (John Christopher D.) he activated everything right over the phone. So I never got an activation key. And now I just completely upgraded everything on...
  10. Windows 10 deactivated after hardware change

Windows 10 deactivated after hardware change: I have recently changed my hardware. My windows 10 now thinks it hasn't been activated. I am signed into my account linked to my license for windows 10 but still hasn't activated. I've tried the troubleshoot option, but no success....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. misidentified 9900k