Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Pro, I had no issues getting an IP address from my DHCP server, but now the server is unreachable after I simply moved the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by A_285Z, Oct 20, 2020.

1. A_285Z Win User

Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA

I am using Windows 10 Pro, I had no issues getting an IP address from my DHCP server, but now the server is unreachable after I simply moved the machine to a different switch port.

I have tried re-connecting to the old switch port, but I get the same symptoms still. Using DHCP for my Ethernet adapter, the interface quickly changes between receiving an APIPA address, and then no address. Looking in the Adapters dialog, it shows the port goes from Not Connected, to Unidentified Network, and back and forth.

I have tried the netsh tcp stack reset, and I am unable to execute ipconfig /release or /renew, as it either does not see the media connected, or it says it does not have an IP address assigned.

Even if I use a static IP in the same subnet as the router, I cannot ping it. Not sure whats wrong here.

:)

A_285Z, Oct 20, 2020

2. Windows 10 Ethernet gets a valid DHCP Adress but does not communicate afterwards

Hello Don,

I think the Problem is your router. Windows gets the DHCP-Information about the router. It creates an APIPA, if it gets no Information from router. Please check the DHCP-Setting for the LAN-Ports.

Regards Michael

Michael Hi., Oct 20, 2020
  3. DonReaper Win User
    Windows 10 Ethernet gets a valid DHCP Adress but does not communicate afterwards

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your response.

The DHCP settings for the LAN is working, since the computer gets a valid adress from the pool with a correct lease in the first place. Just afterwards it stops communicating.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the normal APIPA is like 169.254.x.x and the laptop gets an adress like 192.168.0.x from the router. I can verify that he gets the DHCP adress on exact that time he is first connected to the router because the starting
    lease time is exact the time he is connected.

I can also see the computer in the routers list of DHCP clients.

Best Regards,

Don

DonReaper, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA

W10 - losing ip connection to ISP, drops DHCP and defaults to APIPA IP address

DHCP and DNS clients are set to automatic and are running, but after a shutdown and restart there is no internet connection and a APIPA default IP address is given. The IPv4 has to be set from Auto to manual and the DHCP server addr input. Then after running
    the network trouble twice and having it 'fix' DHCP, the internet is usually accessible again. Using ATT uverse router and if it is deleted to remake, Networking & Sharing's Make a New Network Connection does not see the ATT router. It is a wired connection,
    not using wireless. Mcafee firewall was turned off to troubleshoot but this did not make a difference. HP P2 computer originally on W8.1, upgraded the network card driver but there is not a W10 version available.

Everything was working perfect until sometime in early December 2016 and hasn't working since. No additions except windows and Mcafee updates.

In TheWoods, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA

1. Windows 10 Pro - DHCP not working, getting APIPA - Similar Threads - Pro DHCP working

2. Getting APIPA Address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting APIPA Address: I recently used an ISO file to update my HP 840 G4 Laptop from W10 1803 to 21H1. I now cannot connect to web pages because I am getting an APIPA address and when I go to these pages it says "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE". I have tried many things from release/renew, resetting DHCP...
  3. DHCP working, Network does not

DHCP working, Network does not: My windows 10 system stopped accessing the network a couple of days ago. Now, it will not communicate externally after initial DHCP set-up. ping returns general failure. Have reset/deleted network drivers/settings. I even updated to the latest Win10 update. No change. I can...
  4. windows 10 dhcp error

windows 10 dhcp error: when i start my pc 50% of time internet does not work and when i diagnose it it always says dhcp not enabled after repair it works why this is happening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-dhcp-error/8409c567-70ea-4508-9220-ded145624f3d
  5. APIPA address

APIPA address: Hoping someone can help me with this. For background info, I'm fully aware of APIPA 169.254.x.x addresses and what they are for. I have a problem where they have been configured on network devices in a network I am doing an audit on. I know that is wrong but there is...
  6. Windows 10 1903 DHCP not working

Windows 10 1903 DHCP not working: On 10/4 at the end of the day all our Windows 10 Pro 1903 workstations were working. Today we came in and started up the PC and get updates date 10/7. After that DHCP requests returned 169... addresses. We tried: Updating NIC drive Resetting IP stack Uninstalling...
  7. Why does DHCP keep getting turned off (Windows 10)?

Why does DHCP keep getting turned off (Windows 10)?: I have a few users that this happens to. All different laptops but all on Windows 10. I set up their WiFi adapter properties based on the network. I don't care what they do once they leave work, but while here they have to have a static IP address. I go into Settings -...
  8. DHCP

DHCP: The IP address lease 192.168.1.3 for the Network Card with network address 0xD89EF326F842 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message). Need an explanation on this error...
  9. "169.254.x.x" "255.255.0.0" APIPA

"169.254.x.x" "255.255.0.0" APIPA: I need help, please. DHCP is not enabled for WiFi in Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/169254xx-25525500-apipa/b3e3ce7b-bf90-4f93-9c5c-5a11aa6cb8e8
  10. Windows 10 Pro Ethernet Adapter Does Not Retain DHCP Settings

Windows 10 Pro Ethernet Adapter Does Not Retain DHCP Settings: The laptop computer is attached to a corporate domain. The DNS servers are providing DHCP settings. After logging onto the network, there is NO IPV4 address assigned despite DHCP enabled. Using ipconfig command, the setting is an obscure IP address 169.254.211.68 Subnet...