Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro File & Printer Sharing Issue

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro File & Printer Sharing Issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have three machines running Windows 10 on our home network (2 desktops; one with Windows 10 home & one with Windows 10 pro and one laptop w/ Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kingofinfinitehills, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Pro File & Printer Sharing Issue

We have three machines running Windows 10 on our home network (2 desktops; one with Windows 10 home & one with Windows 10 pro and one laptop w/ Windows 10 home). We previously had a homegroup setup that allowed us to share printers and files and access a USB 3.0 4TB hard-drive connected to our router (Netgear Nighthawk x6 R8000). Everything was working fine with printing and file sharing until the latest Windows 10 update where the homegroup function was removed by Microsoft.

Now, the two Windows 10 home devices can still share files and access the router-shared network hard-drive, however, the Windows 10 pro machine (which hosts the shared printer) cannot access the shared hard-drive and none of the Windows 10 home computers can access the shared printer on the Win 10 pro machine. At first, it would not even see the other machines on our network. All the machines are under the same generic "WORKGROUP" but to no avail, we cannot access the printer from either of the two Windows home machines.

Here's what I've done so far....

• Enabled/configured file & printer sharing identically on all machines
    • Checked Windows firewall settings are set to allow printer and file sharing on all machines
    • Enabled SMB 1.0/CSIF File sharing support in windows services on all machines
    • Enabled all the necessary file & printer sharing options in the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" settings
    • Tried disabling Windows firewall, no difference
    • Tried disabling the security suite (provided by Charter Spectrum ISP), no difference

I have now the Windows 10 pro machine can see the other machines on the network, but still cannot access the shared files on the router hard-drive and we cannot access files on other Windows 10 machines nor can the Windows 10 home machines see the shared printer or access prior shared folders that were accessible when homegroup on the Windows 10 pro machine.

Help!

:)

kingofinfinitehills, Jul 5, 2018
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jul 5, 2018
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 Pro File & Printer Sharing Issue

Can't share printer—getting error message

Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer*Laugh :laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.

newtekie1, Jul 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro File & Printer Sharing Issue

1. Windows 10 Pro File & Printer Sharing Issue - Similar Threads - Pro File Printer

2. Shared printer issue on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared printer issue on windows 10: Hi everyone,We are currently facing printer issues.Specifically kb 5005565 causing shared printer issue. Printer is work fine on directly connected pc but couldn't work on shared pc.Thank you....
  3. Shared printer issue on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared printer issue on windows 10: Hi everyone,We are currently facing printer issues.Specifically kb 5005565 causing shared printer issue. Printer is work fine on directly connected pc but couldn't work on shared pc.Thank you....
  4. Shared printer issue on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 Pro + Shared printer service issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Pro + Shared printer service issue: Hello!We have the following setup:3 PCs connected to the same router directly without any other switch via cat 5e cable, and a Sam4s Giant-100 is connected to the on the PCs with a standard USB cable. The printer is shared via a Windows Print Sharing with the other 2 PCs, and...
  6. NO File or Printer Sharing in Windows 10

NO File or Printer Sharing in Windows 10: Recently, I purchased a new Windows 10 laptop, and my wife also has a Windows 10 laptop (see specs below.) However, after following EVERY known tutorial on file and printer sharing, Windows 10 refuses to cooperate. FYI... each laptop gives a different error message when...
  7. Printer Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer Sharing Issue: A printer is connected to Computer 1 via USB cable. I have enabled printer sharing on that computer. That computer is connected to a wifi router via Ethernet. I want Computer 2 to use the printer. I have enabled printer sharing on both computers. In the Network and Sharing...
  8. File and Printer Sharing

File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  9. File and Printer Sharing does not work on new Windows Pro

File and Printer Sharing does not work on new Windows Pro: I added new Windows 10 Pro desktop to home network. Also have a Windows 10 Home laptop on network (both same Microsoft account). Both have all latest updates. Trying to share folders and a printer (printer on desktop). After turning on various features and services referred...
  10. Windows XP and Windows 10 pro file sharing issue

Windows XP and Windows 10 pro file sharing issue: i am not able to access windows 10 pc from windows xp pc please guide me how to do the print and file sharing for windows 10 so that i can access windows 10 pc from windows xp pc...