Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro - FSUTIL VOLUME DISKFREE Output

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro - FSUTIL VOLUME DISKFREE Output in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am currently running Windows 10 Pro (Version 1809 OS Build 17663.316). I have recently run into an issue that I am hoping to find a workaround for.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by c.g.miller, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Pro - FSUTIL VOLUME DISKFREE Output

I am currently running Windows 10 Pro (Version 1809 OS Build 17663.316).

I have recently run into an issue that I am hoping to find a workaround for. A Windows Update within the last month or two has changed the output of one FSUTIL Windows Utility, which is resulting in crashes with proprietary legacy software.

The issue:

At my workplace, we have a legacy system that uses a customized bundle of Apache+MySQL+Tomcat to provide a web interface for some systems that we install on customer sites. We have this system installed on our workstations here at the office in order to test and develop them in-house before deployment. The system in question is legacy; the company that supported it is no longer around, and while I have access to the partial source code for some of the application, I do not have enough to recompile it, meaning that I cannot make any changes to the application's functionality.

When the Tomcat application starts up, the proprietary code runs a check to verify that there is a minimum amount of free space on the disk, for logging and other purposes. The way the application determines the amount of total free space is implemented in the following way:

1. Execute the command 'cmd.exe /c fsutil volume diskfree C:\ | find "Total # of bytes"'

2. Split the output at the ":" (colon) character, take the second value, trimming the output of whitespace before and after it. This effectively takes the value part of the output, disregarding the colon and everything before it in the output line

3. Convert this do a Long (Java) using the Long.parseLong() method.

This works with no issue in previous versions of Windows 10 and Windows 7 - the output for the 'cmd.exe /c fsutil volume diskfree C:\ | find "Total # of bytes"' command looks like this:

Total # of bytes : 1985612570624

Per the code, it would end up converting the String value of "1985612570624" into a numerical value, and everything continues without issue.

However, sometime in the past month or so, my Windows 10 has updated, and the output of the 'cmd.exe /c fsutil volume diskfree C:\ | find "Total # of bytes"' command looks like this:

Total # of bytes : 1985612570624 (1849.25GB)

The "(1849.25GB)" part of the output, something that has changed between the FSUTIL.EXE build 10.0.17763.1 (the one on my workstation), and the FSUTIL.exe build 10.0.17134.1 (the FSUTIL.EXE application on a coworker's Windows 10 machine) that has added in the GB calculation in the output. As the code in the legacy application does not take that into consideration, it ends up throwing an error (NumberFormatException in Java, as the output is directly passed to Long.parseLong()), and the application will not start, rendering the application unusable on my workstation.

What I am looking for:

As I am unable to modify the application source code (because I cannot recompile it), and as I cannot contact the company that would support it, as they are no longer around to contact, is there any way that I can "roll back" or modify the FSUTIL utility to output with just the byte count, without the GB calculation? I have attempted to replace my FSUTIL.EXE file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder with the older version that my coworker has, along with the FSUTILEXT.DLL and other files that showed up in a Dependency Walker. None of these were successful in doing what I needed; they either threw errors or output nothing at all. I have since replaced all files back to the original ones included with my build of Windows 10.

I need the FSUTIL utility to output the raw number of bytes WITHOUT the calculated GB after it, like the previous versions did.

Additionally, I cannot roll back to a previous version of Windows, and any updates that I have uninstalled from the Uninstall Updates menu has not resolved the issue.

I am worried that if there is no solution for this, when my coworkers' workstations end up updating automatically (as Windows 10 forces updates eventually), we will no longer be able to perform work on this system in the office, as we are all on Windows 10.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

:)

c.g.miller, Feb 14, 2019
  2. Samuria Win User

viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network

Write a script for all drives to get a list all in one go

fsutil volume diskfree C:
    fsutil volume diskfree \\server\share

Or

Get-WmiObject -Class win32_logicalDisk -ComputerName server1, server2, server3, etc | Select-Object pscomputername, deviceid, freespace, size

change server1 etc to actual name or ip

Samuria, Feb 14, 2019
  3. srfreeman Win User
    FSUTIL and Windows Update Failures.

Your rant is replete with misinformation... the noted link does not point directly to a flow chart of any kind.

Your "The command (fsutil dirty querry cWindows 10 Pro - FSUTIL VOLUME DISKFREE Output :) may not tell the whole story..." leads some one to believe there is a story to be told, which is not the case. The command - fsutil dirty query C: - simply checks to see if the volume's dirty bit is set.

If the volume is dirty, the following output displays:

Volume C: is dirty

If the volume is not dirty, the following output displays:

Volume C: is not dirty

In your example - fsutil USN deletejournal /n /d c: - the usage of both the /n and the /d parameter simply makes no sense.

Your "...some users get unknown errors, or, fictitious error codes..." is itself fiction.

srfreeman, Feb 14, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Pro - FSUTIL VOLUME DISKFREE Output

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro - FSUTIL VOLUME DISKFREE Output

1. Windows 10 Pro - FSUTIL VOLUME DISKFREE Output - Similar Threads - Pro FSUTIL VOLUME

2. Fixate output volume 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fixate output volume 100%: My pc is connected to a receiver. Volume is controlled on the receiver so the pc should be fixed to 100%. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fixate-output-volume-100/608ffac7-fe34-4a54-8e08-e92127dbbabc
  3. Fixate output volume 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fixate output volume 100%: My pc is connected to a receiver. Volume is controlled on the receiver so the pc should be fixed to 100%. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fixate-output-volume-100/608ffac7-fe34-4a54-8e08-e92127dbbabc
  4. How to set the output volume at 0dB on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set the output volume at 0dB on windows 10?: I have to set up some audio monitors and in order to calibrate them, I have to set the audio interface output to 0dB, but since I don't own an audio interface, I use the direct 3.5mm output from my computer instead. This means that the output volume is determined by Windows'...
  5. How to set the output volume at 0dB on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set the output volume at 0dB on windows 10?: I have to set up some audio monitors and in order to calibrate them, I have to set the audio interface output to 0dB, but since I don't own an audio interface, I use the direct 3.5mm output from my computer instead. This means that the output volume is determined by Windows'...
  6. How to set the output volume at 0dB on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Volume Mixer not showing Premiere Pro and the app is not Outputting Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume Mixer not showing Premiere Pro and the app is not Outputting Audio: So, I used the Volume Mixer to mute my editing application, Adobe Premiere Pro, so I could work while not being annoyed by scrubbing through B-roll clips. I did this a day or so ago and I cannot figure out why it is not showing up in the Volume mixer. I believe I did restart...
  8. How to change volume output?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change volume output?: So I just installed a box and tried to switch audio. Now whenever I open spotify I hear it through the box, but all the other sound still comes out of my pc. I tried clicking on the volume button and changing it but it doesn't let me play netflix on the box. Any ideas?...
  9. fsutil dirty query c: Volume - c: is Dirty . How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    fsutil dirty query c: Volume - c: is Dirty . How do I fix this?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/66mubddg4c051.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=7daa9b1ea4d11da706a328caa762a203fdcda054 submitted by /u/Cataal1337 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/golf8v/fsutil_dirty_query_c_volume_c_is_dirty_how_do_i/
  10. windows 10 pro volume license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 pro volume license: I want to know the price for purchase volume license for windows10 pro for 250 users https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-volume-license/9e117d92-9f71-4147-8ccf-2b676b5998fc

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fsutil volume diskfre in gb

2. fsutil volume diskfree output to csv