Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and PowerShell Get-VMSwitch generic failure

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and PowerShell Get-VMSwitch generic failure in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have spent the last couple of days trying to get my Windows 10 Pro Hypervisor to work. It was working well till a few days. However, the Virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KPradeepBhat, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and PowerShell Get-VMSwitch generic failure

I have spent the last couple of days trying to get my Windows 10 Pro Hypervisor to work. It was working well till a few days. However, the Virtual Switch Manager in the Hyper-V Manager is now unable to retrieve the list of virtual switches.

I have explored over 50 blogs and technical answers across Microsoft and other sites for an answer and tried out every recommendation except for i nvspscrub nvspscrub,js is not available for download anywhere, ii Registry Edit dont know how to do it and iii Windows 10 Repair Install I have BitLocker enabled on all my drives, hence do not want to try it unless absolutely unavoidable.

I think that my problem will be resolved if Powershell's Get-VMSwitch command works. As of now, it shows the following:

PS> Get-VMSwitch
    Get-VMSwitch : Generic failure
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-VMSwitch
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: : [Get-VMSwitch], VirtualizationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.GetVMSwitch

Request for suitable advice. Thanks

Pradeep Bhat

:)

KPradeepBhat, Oct 31, 2020

2. Hyper-V feature failing to start VMSwitch, looks like a broken driver?

I've been running docker on my computer for weeks, but yesterday my Hyper-V installation broke and docker fails to start. My computer was shut-off the previous night unexpectedly, so that might have been the cause. After digging in further Hyper-V manager
    cant load the VM switch manager. The failed drivers seem to point to this isn't related to Docker at all as I've also completely uninstalled docker and am still getting errors. I can open Hyper-V Manager, but clicking on Virtual Switch Manager errors with
    "An error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches. The generic operation on computer 'XXX' failed: generic failure." I cant create VMs because VMSwitch is failing to start.

Event logs show the following

Warning (source Kernel-PnP): The driver \Driver\VMSP failed to load for the device ROOT\VMS_VSMP\0000.
    Error (source Hyper-V-VmSwitch): Failed to initialize VMSwitch driver due to error {Operation Failed}

Removing and re-adding Hyper-V features (Turn Windows features on and off) did not do anything

Tried the command and it did not resolve the issue: netcfg -d

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise 1809

KeithFloresca, Oct 31, 2020
  3. Rex99ny Win User
    Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

I am trying to setup an XP virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro.

I followed the steps in Neil Peterson article of 5/9/2016.

System Requirements - done - ok

Install Hyper-V - done - ok

Create a Virtual Switch - skip

Create a Virtual Machine

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager

These steps walk through how to manually create a virtual machine and deploy an operating system to this virtual machine.

• In Hyper-V Manager, click Action > New >
      Virtual Machine
      to bring up the New

Uhhhhhhhhh - this step obviously implies one knows

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Isn't that odd ?

Rex99ny, Oct 31, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and PowerShell Get-VMSwitch generic failure

Can't create any Virtual Switch in Hyper-V, Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch 0x800401F3

Hi,

I'm absolutely stuck in Hyper-V since it lost connectivity. I removed all the virtual switches but now I'm unable to create new ones. Whenever I try to create a new one, either external, internal or private, I just get:

Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes

Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch.

Switch create failed, name = '(some hexa address'), friendly name = 'Some Switch': Invalid class string (0x800401F3).

Working with PowerShell ends with the same result:

PS C:\> New-VMSwitch "Virtual Switch" -NetAdapterName "Wi-Fi" -AllowManagementOS $True

New-VMSwitch : Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch.

Switch create failed, name = '567871B6-FF85-49D2-B2C0-F497EFC556F2', friendly name = 'Virtual Switch': Invalid class

string (0x800401F3).

At line:1 char:1

+ New-VMSwitch "Virtual Switch" -NetAdapterName "Wi-Fi" -AllowManagemen ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and PowerShell Get-VMSwitch generic failure :)) [New-VMSwitch], VirtualizationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : OperationFailed,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.NewVMSwitch

Any idea on how to fix this?

PS: Should be obvious, but "reinstall Windows" is out of the table.

PD: Removing and adding the Hyper-V feature again won't solve it.

Carlos J. S. A., Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and PowerShell Get-VMSwitch generic failure

1. Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager and PowerShell Get-VMSwitch generic failure - Similar Threads - Pro Hyper Virtual

2. Hyper-V virtual switches difference?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V virtual switches difference?: I made a new external switch in Hyper-V, and the screenshot below is what I have now: [img] First 3 adapters from screenshot are as follows: 1. Physical realtek adapter 2. Default (non removable) virtual switch 3. vEthernet is the external switch I made BUT, what is...
  3. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  4. hyper-v generic error when open virtual switch manager, virtual switches cannot be enabled,...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hyper-v generic error when open virtual switch manager, virtual switches cannot be enabled,...: Hi, I have a problem with Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro 1903. For short, Hyper-v generic error when open virtual switch manager, virtual switches cannot be enabled (and vms that already created can run normally.) This issue happened a few weeks ago, last week and today, I...
  5. Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues

Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues: I have multiple VMs that work very well but I am trying to limit some of them to accessing my internal network only but I have been unable to find a way to do that. The Default Switch simply doesn't allow access to my internal network and when I set the Virtual Switch that I...
  6. Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network: I’m not entirely sure if this should be in networking section. Sorry if this is wrong section. First little background. I have Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I also have Windows 10 computer with TV tuner card. I can watch TV on Kodi over the network as the Windows 10 machine...
  7. Hyper-v Virtual switch manager stuck at “applying changes” Windows 10

Hyper-v Virtual switch manager stuck at “applying changes” Windows 10: I am trying to set-up a Linux VM inside my windows 10 pro computer using the guide at ten forums here: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 I have successfully turned on Hyper-v, however, when I go on to create a virtual switch from the virtual switch...
  8. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  9. Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch: After adding Hyper-V to Windows 10 Pro, Windows now accesses the internet with the virtual switch I created for Hyper-V instead of my Ethernet connection. Why isn't Windows 10 using my Ethernet connection? 83247
  10. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...