Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Installation Starts, Screen Goes Black, Never to Return

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Installation Starts, Screen Goes Black, Never to Return in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is on my 4K video editing super workstation that I built in Aug 2015, and have been running Windows 7 Pro on since: I bought a new 250GB SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by M A Weiss, Jan 25, 2019.

1. M A Weiss Win User

Windows 10 Pro Installation Starts, Screen Goes Black, Never to Return

This is on my 4K video editing super workstation that I built in Aug 2015, and have been running Windows 7 Pro on since:

I bought a new 250GB SSD drive, installed it, disconnected all other drives and am trying to install Windows 10 Pro now as a clean installation.

Prior to this, I contacted Supermicro to verify that this board is compatible with Windows 10 and that was an affirmative from them.

So today, I got the new drive installed and power up the machine, watching the Supermicro logo and BIOS post messages on my screen in crisp, high resolution. Then the BD-RE drive starts to read the Windows 10 install disc and the monitor goes black. And stays black. The LED on the drive stopped flickering after a minute. But still no display. It has been 18 minutes now and still no display. I suspect Setup is waiting for input, but I can't see the screen to proceed further.

Just to be sure, I cycled the power and put in my Windows 7 DVD and after a long period of black screen (about a minute), I get the installer window in 640x480 16 colors. So I shut down and power back up and put in the Windows 10 DVD. But this one never loads. I just used this install media to build two other workstations this week, so the media is good. One old Dell T7400 and one new Asus Z390-A both show a Windows logo and a rotating array of dots during Setup loading. But not this dual Xeon.

Hardware on the trouble PC is:

Supermicro X10DRi motherboard
    dual Xeon E5-2667 CPUs
    128GB RAM
    MSI GTX1080Ti
    Pri display: HP LP3065
    Sec display: LG 31MU97B
    Boot drive (blank) Crucial 250GB SSD

I've already wasted half the day on this failed attempt. Is there anything else, perhaps a BIOS setting? that I can try before I shelve this and just reinstall a new Windows 7 setup?

:)

M A Weiss, Jan 25, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Jan 25, 2019
  3. PC goes into black screen and froze

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not a software related issue which is why I was suggesting that you remove the video card to start with since it's such an easy process of elimination step.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, I did see that you had listed in your system specs but I had no idea whether or not it has an iGPU

Is there any possibility of you being able to get your hands on any compatible video card at all?it would be the easiest step to try to troubleshoot or at least one of the easier ones. You should be able to get into the bios without anything but A display cable hooked up to the motherboard

jboydgolfer, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Screen goes black

Hi Kris,

It is possible that your screen goes black may be due to a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when it turns black?
    • Have you tried checking if the sleep mode is turned on/off?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you perform the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot blank/black screen errors. This will provide you instruction when you see a black screen before signing in to Windows 10 and when you see a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro Installation Starts, Screen Goes Black, Never to Return - Similar Threads - Pro Installation Starts

2. Window 7 Instaling then screen goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 7 Instaling then screen goes black: Sir when i install window 7 in my computer then during installation my computer screen goes black before windows logo and no keyboard button works when i boot window 10 on the same computer. If you do, it will boot correctly...
  3. Window 7 Instaling then screen goes black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 7 Instaling then screen goes black: Sir when i install window 7 in my computer then during installation my computer screen goes black before windows logo and no keyboard button works when i boot window 10 on the same computer. If you do, it will boot correctly...
  4. Windows goes to a black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows goes to a black screen: Hi,Last year my brothers computer started to randomly go to black screen sometimes right away that he couldn't even see the bios prompt and other times an hour or so of use, I'm assuming it lost signal and as I thought it was the GPU and he was thinking of upgrading anyway so...
  5. Windows goes to a black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows goes to a black screen: Hi,Last year my brothers computer started to randomly go to black screen sometimes right away that he couldn't even see the bios prompt and other times an hour or so of use, I'm assuming it lost signal and as I thought it was the GPU and he was thinking of upgrading anyway so...
  6. screen goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen goes black: My screen goes black only when I move my cursor to certain spots on the screen, these spots change randomly for ex if I restart or if I open something, it just changes.I have tried updating my display driver, or using win+ctrl+shift+b or even using power troubleshoot, none of...
  7. Screen goes to black . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes to black . . .: My computer runs, Windows 10.There's one setting, I don't know how to change?After about, 30 seconds. My screen goes to black.When I move my mouse, it comes back on.But, it goes to the login screen. When it comes, back on?And, I have to put in my password. And, I don't want...
  8. Windows 10 screen goes black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 screen goes black: Hi everyone! I am rating bere for an issue that started yesterday. The screen of my HP Notebook 15 computer with Windows 10 goes black for less than a second and then it returns normal. It happens on random intervals and strangely only when I am digitizing with keyboard....
  9. Screen goes black

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen goes black: I am using Windows 10, my setup is running the most recent windows update, and I keep my system safe with up to date Norton360. But I am pretty computer illiterate. So I ask with the utter most sincerity to simplify as much as you can. I've been having a reoccurring problem...
  10. start screen goes black

in Cortana
    start screen goes black: I just installed the latest update, Windows 10, 1903 (KB4512941). My start screen appears but when I type in a command, such as "disk cleanup", it goes black and will not respond. Same for the search bar. Using system restore, I went back to the previous version and all...