Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro iso file too large

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro iso file too large in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The iso file is 4.42 GB and my DVD-R is only 4.38, so Roxio doesn't write the file to disk. I don't understand how I can get the iso to disk. 78800 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nkoss, Mar 6, 2017.

1. nkoss Win User

Windows 10 Pro iso file too large

The iso file is 4.42 GB and my DVD-R is only 4.38, so Roxio doesn't write the file to disk. I don't understand how I can get the iso to disk.

:)

nkoss, Mar 6, 2017

2. iso file too large for DVD

Downloaded the ISO file (5.75 GB) and tried to burn it to DVD (7 GB). Tried with two different machines. Both tell me the file is too large for the DVD.

Tried to boot to a flash drive and it will not boot in the computer requiring repairs from "inaccessible_boot_device".

Can someone help?

Thanks

RonCarruthers, Mar 6, 2017
  3. Arun B J Win User
    iso file too large for DVD

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

If you’re PC does not detect the media automatically

• During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or
        DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.

• Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled
        Boot Order, Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.

• Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in
        the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.

• Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes
        and remove any malware that may be infecting your computer.

Warning:

• Be careful when changing BIOS settings. The BIOS interface is designed for advanced users, and it's possible to change a setting that could prevent your computer from starting correctly.

• Updating BIOS should only be done if necessary (to solve a compatibility problem, for example). It can be a complicated process, and if an error occurs, your computer could be rendered inoperable. Be sure
      to follow the manufacturer's instructions exactly.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 6, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I've used the DVD+R/DL [Dual-Layer] disc for that process, it holds up to 8GB but the ODD/Optical Disc Drive must support it as well as the burning program. There is a choice on the MCT process to get either 32-bit, 64-bit or 32&64-bit in the same file for use on other computers. I'd check it again.

Also possible on MCT is to create a USB Thumb drive which is bootable, I use 8GB [did one a couple of days ago].

The Version available through MCT was 1607 Build 14393.442 and after reboot updated to 14393.693.

Berton, Mar 6, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 ver 1607 fits on a standard DVD-R disc just fine:

Windows 10 Pro iso file too large [​IMG]

It's on this disc:
    Affordable Blank DVD R Discs - DVD+R / DVD-R | Verbatim

Did you download the dual 32-bit/64-bit version? If you need both 32-bit and 64-bit, download them separately and put them on 2 separate DVDs.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2017
  6. nkoss Win User
    I would love to download it to a thumb drive, but my BIOS is from 2010 and won't boot from the thumb. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft has done this. Nowhere in the page of instructions does it say that a dual layer DVD is necessary. I repeated the process and I just put in for 64bit Windows 10, nothing more.

nkoss, Mar 6, 2017
  7. nkoss Win User
    I see your capacity is the same as mine, 4.38, but my iso file is 4.42. Yours seems to be 4.16, so I am a bit confused. And I only downloaded the 64 bit version

nkoss, Mar 6, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Did you download the ISO file directly from Microsoft? And you are trying to copy the ISO file itself over to the DVD, or burn the image contained in the ISO file?

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2017
  9. nkoss Win User
    I downloaded the MCT (Media Creation Tool) as instructed on their website, Then you run that program to create the windows.iso. It all seems so simple. I can't believe this is happening!

nkoss, Mar 6, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Pretty sure when you use the media creation tool directly, it creates the larger 32+64bit iso. You have to choose option to only download directly the 64bit iso which is smaller and then burn files INSIDE the iso (think of and iso like a zip file) by mounting iso as a drive and copying all the files to dvd.

If using windows 7, you may need a tool such as virtual clone drive Virtual CloneDrive - Elaborate Bytes to mount iso as a drive. Windows 8 onwards mopunt drive by double clicking on it.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2017
  11. nkoss Win User
    Are you referring to this screen?

As you see, I chose the 64 bit (only) option!!

nkoss, Mar 6, 2017
  12. TairikuOkami, Mar 6, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

Nice find T *Smile

To the OP, the latest download is 4.42 GB, but you should have no problems putting it on a dvd, a dvd is 4.7 GB.

I got the same message you got but it still went ahead and burned it no problem. I`ve not tested it out, no need yet.

AddRAM, Mar 6, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    You could create the USB media, boot from something else that can get you a command prompt then use that to run Setup from the USB.

You can create a bootable CD with 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' from the Control Panel, click on 'Create a system repair disk'. This CD will boot by default to the 'restore system image' option, but if you exit that you get offered the standard recovery options, including the Command Prompt.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is no need for anything extra. Windows 10 64-bit fits on a standard DVD. Try IMGBURN instead:
    The Official ImgBurn Website

Windows 8 and Windows 10 don't even need any extra software:

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro iso file too large - Similar Threads - Pro iso file

2. Latest Windows 10 Install media ISO file too large to burn to DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Windows 10 Install media ISO file too large to burn to DVD: The stock answer to this problem is "use a flash drive". However, there are those of us who have antediluvian PCs whose bios does not support booting from USB flash drives. I thought that putting the install media on a bootable internal or external HDD might be a solution but...
  3. Windows ISO file too large to burn

Windows ISO file too large to burn: I just downloaded a Media Creation Tool. I then downloaded Windows ISO file. When I try to burn the ISO file to a DVD it says the file is too large to burn. New DVD never used. The version is 20H2.size is 4,784,256 KB The laptop that the file was downloaded to has Windows 10...
  4. 20H2 ISO file too large to create installation disk on DVD

20H2 ISO file too large to create installation disk on DVD: As part of my back up of my Dell PC running Windows 10 I tried to create a Windows 10 instatllation DVD from the ISO file. So I downloaded the latest ISO file from Microsoft. Then used the ISO file to burn and installation DVD. This was the 20H2 ISO file. But the burning...
  5. Latest Windows 10 iso file too large for DVD!

Latest Windows 10 iso file too large for DVD!: I downloaded the media creation tool for 20H2 Windows 10 version. Requested 64 bit version ONLY. ISO file is over 4.7GB, does not fit on DVD. What should I do? I DO NOT want to mess with dual layer, blue ray, or flash drives. Never had this problem before, seems like a...
  6. Windows 10 too large?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 too large?: Hey everyone, had a problem and was hoping for advice. I have a machine that runs with a rather small drive in use for the OS install itself, something that should be fixed but is on me and I haven't taken time to do it. That said by small, I mean it's 120GB, so small only...
  7. File too large

in Windows 10 Customization
    File too large: Yesterday it was I couldn't save changes to documents or pictures. Got that solved. Today, when I try to download a picture from a website, I'm getting the message, "failed, file too large". Even small pictures are too large. Can someone help with this?...
  8. System file too large

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System file too large: I select every folder in my C disk and the property shows that they are only a little bit more than 100G. When I check the storage in the setting, it shows that the system file is 244GB. Is there anyway to delete it? PS: I already checked CBS folder and that does not...
  9. May 2019 Update ISO too Large for File System

May 2019 Update ISO too Large for File System: May 2019 Update ISO too Large for File System First let me say I know all the pros and cons of what I'm trying to do. Secondly, I know the alternatives, and will probably be forced to use one. *Sad The background: I have seven computers to update and want to do it in the...
  10. File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system

in Windows 10 News
    File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system: [ATTACH] This post will help you if you cannot copy large files over 4GB to USB flash drive or SD card, and you receive a message – File Too Large, The file is too large for the destination file system message [...] This post File Too Large – The file is too large for the...