Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro license migration

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro license migration in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all I've spent an hour or so searching for similar problems posted on this forum, but I haven't been able to find one that matches perfectly - even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Thue Christian Thann, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Pro license migration

Hi all

I've spent an hour or so searching for similar problems posted on this forum, but I haven't been able to find one that matches perfectly - even if there are many similar ones. So I hope you will all forgive for raising the license issue once again.

I have a, by now, fairly old desktop computer. I had a retail Windows 7 which was then upgraded to 8, 8.1 and then 10. It was not connected to my Outlook account at all, since it was sort of before people did that back when I acquired the Windows 7. It just had a local user using my full name. I've recently had a HDD failure, and it was the main disk, so I can no longer boot on it.

I've put it into another system, and I can read a few files but it is not salvageable and does not take well to running a checkdisk or similar. It will also take several minutes to open the HDD in Windows Pathfinder, and an additional 10-30 minutes to open a folder. Some of them will be opening for over 24 hours, and I've given up on those. I have tried this on several systems to verify that it is not an issue with Windows Pathfinder on that first, specific system.

So naturally, I've set up a replacement HDD rig and booted up my desktop PC with a Windows installation USB flash drive. I ran the installation and chose "I don't have a license key" since I literally don't.

I had hoped the license would be tethered to perhaps the motherboard or something and automatically migrate to the new HDD. But it's not. The new installation will repeatedly ask for a license, and link me to purchasing options.

So here's my question. How do I recover the license tethered to my now broken HDD and migrate it to my partially new rig? I'm not averse to spending some money, but Windows 10 Pro is not exactly cheap - and something like Remote Desktop Connection is absolutely necessary for my work.

I am open to all solutions, and I am of course happy to answer any additional questions.

:)

Thue Christian Thann, Dec 25, 2020

2. Migrating Digitally Licensed Windows 10 to SSD

I am very confused on how to migrate my current OS to my SSD by using the new ISO by Windows. I have installed the ISO onto a flash drive. I have booted the flash drive and it says that I have to go back and start Windows normally and restart the upgrade
    process. What does this mean? Could anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to migrate my OS? Also, my Windows 10 is digitally licensed.

AlexDT3956, Dec 25, 2020
  3. Migrate a Windows 10 license

Hi, I have got a question for you.

A few years ago I bought Windows 8 pro retail and when Windows 10 was released I upgraded for free to the new version. Now I have a new computer with Windows 10 Home and would like to migrate my Windows 10 pro license from my old PC.

How can I do that?

Thanks

Marco Santoni, Dec 25, 2020
  4. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 Pro license migration

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro license migration

1. Windows 10 Pro license migration - Similar Threads - Pro license migration

2. License migration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    License migration: I'm told i can move my Windows 11 Home license from my old computer to the next one. Custom.How would i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/license-migration/7c0a1234-a692-4883-aaa5-23c0d8dab637
  3. License migration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    License migration: I'm told i can move my Windows 11 Home license from my old computer to the next one. Custom.How would i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/license-migration/7c0a1234-a692-4883-aaa5-23c0d8dab637
  4. Windows11 migrate license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11 migrate license: I had a laptop and bought a Windows 11 digital license not EOM. I bought a new laptop no OS and want to use my license on the new device. How can I choose which device to use my license on?...
  5. Migration of Windows 10 Digital License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migration of Windows 10 Digital License: Hey there!For last two weeks I have been trying to migrate my Windows 10 Digital License from old laptop that has reached end of his life and is about to be put away on a shelf and be the machine 'for emergencies'. Now, I think that in general it is possible - if I remember...
  6. Migration of Windows 10 Digital License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migration of Windows 10 Digital License: Hey there!For last two weeks I have been trying to migrate my Windows 10 Digital License from old laptop that has reached end of his life and is about to be put away on a shelf and be the machine 'for emergencies'. Now, I think that in general it is possible - if I remember...
  7. Migration of Windows 10 Digital License

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Windows Pro License - Migrate / Transfer to Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Pro License - Migrate / Transfer to Laptop: How do I transfer my license from my desktop that has just cratered to my existing laptop? I bought the Windows Pro upgrade through the online Store 2 weeks ago for my desktop and then it cratered. I've since migrated all the data and everything to my existing laptop that is...
  9. Migrate win 10 pro license ...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrate win 10 pro license ...: from a physical PC to a VM running an identical (identity wise) win 10 pro (domain, node name, IP address). Is that allowed by MS? submitted by /u/andersostling56 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lt302z/migrate_win_10_pro_license/
  10. Migrate a Windows 10 license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrate a Windows 10 license: Hi, I have got a question for you. A few years ago I bought Windows 8 pro retail and when Windows 10 was released I upgraded for free to the new version. Now I have a new computer with Windows 10 Home and would like to migrate my Windows 10 pro license from my old PC. How...