Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi! My questionis about potential file copy speed limits in windows 10 Pro. I am going toask the question first in an effort to save some reading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OlivierA1, Apr 10, 2021.

1. OlivierA1 Win User

Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits

Hi! My questionis about potential file copy speed limits in windows 10 Pro.

I am going toask the question first in an effort to save some reading time for all:

Doesn't matterif I use standard windows copy or use TeraCopy I still get this hard speed limit on file copy at 2.1GB/sec that's GigaBytes. Usingvery large or small files.

Is there anylimit in Windows Pro or the file copy software ?

Is there alimit related to AMD implementations running windows ?

Am I hittingsome microsoft NVME driver limits I should be aware of ?

My configs:

CPU: AMD RyzenThreadripper 3990X

MOBO: ASUSZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA

RAM: CORSAIRVENGEANCE PRO RGB 128GB 8 x 16GB DDR4 3200 @3200

SSD: Non-Raid NVMESAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 2TB

SSD: Non-Raid NVMESAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 2TB

SSD: Non-Raid NVMESAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 2280 1TB

SSD: Non-Raid NVMESAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 2280 1TB

System: Windows10 Pro x64 VER 20H2 OS build 19042.870

Latest Samsung NVMEdrivers for 960 PRO none available for the 980 Pro

Latest MicrosoftNVME drivers for Windows 10

Not running anadditional Anti-virus, only Windows Defender

Test tools:

A 19GB file, a6GB file, and a 2GB file.

CrystalDiskMark8.01 64-bit benchmarks

AS SSD benchmarks

Windows filecopy

TeraCopy forwindows

HD Tune v2.55

So I setup thefirst 980 Pro NVME in first slot M.2_1 as recommended by asus. I then benchmarkand get:

CrystalDiskMark8.01 64-bit benchmarks at 7GB/sec read and 5GB/sec write expected

AS SSD saysthat raid has 7GB/sec read speed and 5GB/sec write speed expected

I copy a filelocally from the same disk and get 2.1GB/sec.

I copy a filelocally from a second 980 PRO setup in M.2_2 and get 2.1GB/sec

I copy a filelocally from a RAMDISK and get 2.1GB/sec.

I copy a filelocally, simultaneously on both of the 980 PRO drives and get 2.1GB/sec each totalof 4.2GB/sec of simultaneous throughput.

I setup both2x 980 Pro drives using slots M.2_1 & M.2_2 with a software stripe RAIDvia Disk Management and dynamic disks and run the benchmarks. I get:

CrystalDiskMark8.01 64-bit benchmarks at 11.4GB/sec read and 10GB/sec write expected

AS SSD saysthat raid has 10GB/sec read speed and 10GB/sec write speed expected

I copy a filelocally from a second 960 PRO windows software RAID setup in DIMM.2_1 and DIMM.2_2and get 2.1GB/sec

I copy a filelocally from a RAMDISK to RAMDISK and get 2.1GB/sec.

I setup alldrives with a software stripe RAID via Disk Management and dynamic disks andrun the benchmarks with all 4 disks in the following slots:

M.2_1 – 980 Pro2TB

M.2_1 – 980 Pro2TB

DIMM.2_1 – 960 Pro1TB

DIMM.2_2 – 960 Pro1TB

CrystalDiskMark8.01 64-bit benchmarks at 14.4GB/sec read and 14GB/sec write expected

AS SSD saysthat raid has 14GB/sec read speed and 12GB/sec write speed expected

I copy a filelocally from a RAMDISK to RAMDISK and get 2.1GB/sec.

Doesn't matterif I use standard windows copy or to use TeraCopy I still get this hard limitof file copy at 2.1GB/sec.

Using some softwareto open or save files, such as Photoshop, benefit from faster than 2GB/sec readand writes. Have not run exhaustive testson this yet.

What else I have tried:

1, 2, 3, 4 diskcombinations.

RamDISKscombinations

Chipset updatesand rollbacks to previous versions.

Changing RAMspeeds to basic speeds 2133, 2333, 2666, 2800, 3000 no change in file copy performance

ChangingInfinity Fabric speeds to 1200, 1600, 1800

Changing PCIeversions in BIOS to PCIe 4.0, 3.0, 2.0

Disabling everypower saving features in BIOS

DisablingWindows Defender Real Time protection

Is there anylimit in Windows Pro or the file copy software ?

Is there alimit related to AMD implementations in windows ?

Am I hittingsome microsoft NVME driver limits I should be aware of ?

I know that SamsungSSD’s have a DRAM cache & 980 Pro - Intelligent TurboWrite 2.0 that canbe exhausted and then the speeds drop down to the SSD’s speed capacity that arein the range of 1700MBps for each drive on the 1TB and 2TB versions of the PROseries. I should still be able to get 3.4GBpsat a minimum using 2 drives. At least5GBps on all 4 drives.

How can I speedup file copying ?

Thanks inadvance for the help.

:)

OlivierA1, Apr 10, 2021
  2. Kyle Win User

Windows 10 Pro Internet Speed Limitation?

Hi guys.
    I've had to mark this as unresolved and bring it back up as the issue has returned. I am not sure what it is that is causing this as I haven't installed any program that would limit, manage/handle bandwidth usage.
    Below are a few screenshots of my Programs and Features list and the list of Windows Updates:

Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits [​IMG]

To also note; I have done a few speedtests and the result is the same as before I reinstalled Windows. (100-144Mbps) After reinstalling, for a few weeks I was getting my full speed. (380Mbps) Then it suddenly capped. My iPhone XR (being connected to my 5GHz WiFi network) gets the full speed.

I have also redone the "tweaks" for trying to remove the limitation as in tutorials on Google. No help. None of these "fixes" actually work. That is to say; updating my network card driver (in this case my TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit Ethernet PCI card), using Command Prompt with the few commands suggested to use, GPEdit.msc, etc. None of these work. Windows 10 is still limiting/capping my Internet and it is beyond frustrating. Delivery Optimization is also disabled and Limit Reservable Bandwidth in QoS Packet Scheduler is set to 0%.

I should also note that my Private Internet Access VPN is disabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Typing this into an elevated command prompt seemed to allow me to use more of my speed, but not 350Mbps+.
    I'm assuming it is peak times at the moment.

Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits b79c8b13-8099-463d-bea7-e6b97e46b502.png

3. Windows 10 copy speed limits

Hi! My question is about speed limits in windows 10.

My configs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

MOBO: ASUS X399 ZENITH EXTREME

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ

SSD: RAID0 (2 disks) SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB MZ-V7E250BW

System: Windows 10 Pro x64

AS SSD says that raid has 5GB/sec read speed and 3GB/sec write speed.

AIDA64 Cache&Memory Benchmark says that RAM has 98GB/sec read/write/copy speed.

So i created a disk in ram via RamDisk and measured speed by copying one big file between the disks.

Here are results:

RAM>RAM - 1.5 Gigabyte/sec

M.2>M.2 - 1.25 Gigabyte/sec

RAM>M.2 - 1.45 Gigabyte/sec

M.2>RAM - 1.75 Gigabyte/sec

Doesn't matter if to use standard windows copy or to use total commander.

I understand why raid to raid is 1.5GB/s. It's because its write speed 3GB/s is divided by two (read+write,read+write etc).

But what about ram>raid, raid>ram or ram>ram??

Is there any limit in windows?

Unregkiller, Apr 10, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits

Wireless Speed is slow and limited in windows 10

Hello!

I know this topic is asked many times, but I still didn't find any solution for my issue.

The problem is my wireless speed is not normal, it is limited/capped to ~4Mbps (~500KB/s), it should be ~60Mbps to connect to the internet.

I found some points regarding this issue.

• My wireless speed is normal in Ubuntu, with the same device. It means that the problem is not my hardware, the problem is in Windows driver or software.
    • My wireless transfer speed is limited to ~4Mbps when I copy a file from a local network location (my PC).
    • I tried to install and re-install network drivers.
    • I even fresh install windows into a new disk (I just bought a new disk to replace this laptop's old one), and the problem occurs before I install lot of programs.
    • The speed still limited using 802.11bg connection (Its different, limited at ~16Mbps).
    • I tried many 'common ways' starting from flushing dns, reinstall drivers, and etc.
    • My wireless network interface is Qualcomm Atheros AR956x.
    • LAN connection using cable does not have any problem.
    Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much.

Evan Gunawan, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits

1. Windows 10 Pro local file copy speed limits - Similar Threads - Pro local file

2. Copying speed on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying speed on Windows 10: My user account on Windows 10 was corrupted, so I created a new one. Everything was ok until I tried to copy my files, the copying speed became too slow it didn't exceed 100 kb/s. I looked for a solution on Google and tried everything possible but still nothing, the copying...
  3. Copying speed on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying speed on Windows 10: My user account on Windows 10 was corrupted, so I created a new one. Everything was ok until I tried to copy my files, the copying speed became too slow it didn't exceed 100 kb/s. I looked for a solution on Google and tried everything possible but still nothing, the copying...
  4. Copying speed on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Limiting speed

Windows 10 Limiting speed: I have tried many many Netsch steps and driver settings for getting my speed up. Its a hardwired connection and I get 400/400 from my ISP. For some reason I feel as if there is something I am missing as my speed limit is 60/60 on my gaming rig....
  6. Windows 10 Limiting Internet Speed

Windows 10 Limiting Internet Speed: Had this issue previously about a couple of months ago and solved it by doing "Network Reset" in the settings menu but now that doesn't work. Here's what I did: I flushed my DNS. I tried disabling and re-enabling my network drivers. I completely reset my network...
  7. limited speed in local 5ghz wifi hotspot

limited speed in local 5ghz wifi hotspot: Hi I have strange problem, after 2 weeks of trying to fix it, it looks like some limitation in windows but i am not sure So i have Oculus quest*, USB wifi dongle TP-link AC 1300 Archer T4U**, and i want to connect it via 5ghz wifi. I made some settings, to get 5ghz wifi....
  8. Windows 10 copy speed limits

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 copy speed limits: Hi! My question is about speed limits in windows 10. My configs: CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X MOBO: ASUS X399 ZENITH EXTREME RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ SSD: RAID0 (2 disks) SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB MZ-V7E250BW...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Internet Speed Limitation?

Windows 10 Pro Internet Speed Limitation?: Hey guys. So been having a major issue with Windows 10 for the last few months after an update. My Internet speed seems to be limited to 144 - 180 Mbps DL on a 350 Mb ISP package. (Avg. speed 370 Mbps DL) I've Google'd a number of times but only come across the same topic...
  10. Windows 10 copying Speed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 copying Speed: Windows 10 is slow and jerky copying multiple files between Hard Drives. 15448