Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Memory Problem: Only half of the memory is usable after clean install

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Memory Problem: Only half of the memory is usable after clean install in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; W10 Pro Memory Problem Specs MoBo: Gigabyte 970A-D3 (rev 3.0) CPU: AMD FX-8350 GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti 8GB RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair XMS3 2000MHz SSD:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ThaNegativeEntropy, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Pro Memory Problem: Only half of the memory is usable after clean install

W10 Pro Memory Problem

Specs

• MoBo: Gigabyte 970A-D3 (rev 3.0)
    • CPU: AMD FX-8350
    • GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti 8GB
    • RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair XMS3 2000MHz
    • SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Story

PC was working fine for years. I had to leave it unused for 10 months and then I had it transferred from the UK to Greece. The case was a bit banged up, but inside it looked fine. I tried to boot it, but wasn't working. I installed W10 Pro again and it was working great. But then I checked my specs, and it was only using half the RAM I have installed, with the other half being "hardware reserved". The installed memory details are recognized correctly (i.e. 8GB/2000MHz) in the BIOS settings, on Windows System Info and on CPU-Z. The CPU, the GPU and the SSD are working perfectly. I have extensively searched the web and tried almost everything that was proposed without success. Here comes a list of the things I've tried and haven't worked.

Things I've tried

• Reset BIOS.
    • Updated BIOS to latest version.
    • Unchecked the Maximum Memory checkbox in the advanced boot settings in msconfig.
    • Removed RAM sticks and used every combination of possible configurations. Both sticks work fine in all places. When I use only one stick, I get 4GB usable and 30MB hardware reserved. But when I use both sticks, I get 4GB usable and 4GB hardware reserved.
    • I ran memtest86 and passed all tests successfully.
    • I used two different sticks [8GB (2x4GB) Corsair XMS3 1600MHz] with the same results, i.e. only half of the memory is usable
    • I used a Linux LiveUSB and the same thing happens.
    Things I haven't tried yet

• I haven't reseated the CPU, which works fine.
    • I haven't used a different GPU, in case there's damage on this one.
    • I haven't asked for help from the MoBo or the RAM manufacturers.
    Help

I know there's a lot on the web (and on this sub) about this issue, but I've found no solution. Any advice will be immensely appreciated. I will be happy to provide further information. Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/ThaNegativeEntropy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ThaNegativeEntropy, Jun 23, 2020
  2. JoeNamco Win User

Memory usable

The amount of usable memory are not exact amounts. Usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus "hardware reserved" memory.

Suggest that you do an internet search for more details.

Here is just one page of many about memory:

hardware reserved memory windows 10 - Google-Suche

JoeNamco, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Pro Memory Problem: Only half of the memory is usable after clean install

Windows 10 incorrect memory

Hi Kulvir,

Your system may display a usable memory (RAM) which is less than the installed memory. This is because the usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus the
    Hardware Reserved Memory which is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals.

To view the installed memory and the usable memory in Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer, right-click This PC, then choose
      Properties.
    • View the Installed memory (RAM) value under System.

For example, if it displays 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable), this means that you have
    15.9 GB of usable memory out of 16.0 GB of installed memory.

Feel free to post back if you have further concerns.

Angela Pun, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro Memory Problem: Only half of the memory is usable after clean install

1. Windows 10 Pro Memory Problem: Only half of the memory is usable after clean install - Similar Threads - Pro Memory Problem

2. Windows 10 pro shows half the installed memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro shows half the installed memory: Hello there as the title says I have 2 sticks of ram each 16gbs in total 32 but it only give me 16 gbs of ram and 2 sticks works any idea how to fix that I tried to updated windows and did few ideas but still the same could you pls help me...
  3. Windows 10 pro shows half the installed memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pro shows half the installed memory: Hello there as the title says I have 2 sticks of ram each 16gbs in total 32 but it only give me 16 gbs of ram and 2 sticks works any idea how to fix that I tried to updated windows and did few ideas but still the same could you pls help me...
  4. Windows 10 pro shows half the installed memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Installed RAM Memory Usable Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed RAM Memory Usable Issue: Need to know does 64GB of Installed RAM Memory is fully usable means Usable RAM should be 64GB or the usable RAM will be less than 64GB? My PC is being operated by Windows 10Pro 64 Bits....
  6. Nuc shows only half of installed memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nuc shows only half of installed memory: A Crucial P5 M.2 280 1TB card is installed in one of two M.2 slots. The NUC only registers approximately 500KB available. Do I need a card in both slots? Something else? Please see below for details. (Win 10 Pro V2004 Build 19041.610) (NUC is 8i7HVB) [img] 167914
  7. Nuc shows only half of installed memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Nuc shows only half of installed memory: A Crucial P5 M.2 280 1TB card is installed in one of two M.2 slots. The NUC only registers approximately 500KB available. Do I need a card in both slots? Something else? Please see below for details. (Win 10 Pro V2004 Build 19041.610) (NUC is 8i7HVB) [img] 167914
  8. Memory usable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Memory usable: hey I'm new to all this my ram is 4GB but only 2.45GB is usable can anyone pes help I have a HP all in one if that helps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-usable/55e40f4a-cd23-4712-9eb6-21fc34bcaa7c
  9. Installed Memory vs Usable Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed Memory vs Usable Memory: I am trying to work out why my installed memory and available memory are so far off in difference, 2.7 gig difference. Windows 10 Home Version The virtual memory shows the same difference, 2.23 gb Page file system is 1.25 gb Thank you C...
  10. Windows 10 6.6gb memory usable out of 16gb memory.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 6.6gb memory usable out of 16gb memory.: I've noticed my memory is sky rocketing up to the 90%s when gaming or idle. I checked my specs and have realized only 6.6gb is usable. I was wondering if anyone had a fix to this? Thanks. [img] 48237