Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Microsoft Security Essentials and No Windows Defender?

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Microsoft Security Essentials and No Windows Defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Looks like MSE not removed during upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Cannot find anyway to removed MSE now. Windows Defender will not run and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WizardIL, Nov 24, 2015.

1. WizardIL Win User

Windows 10 Pro Microsoft Security Essentials and No Windows Defender?

Looks like MSE not removed during upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Cannot find anyway to removed MSE now.

Windows Defender will not run and MSE is a not listed program on the machine.

Belarc Advisor shows:

Virus definitions are older than 30 days

Microsoft Security Essentials Version 4.6.0305.0
    Scan Engine Version 1.1.11005.0
    Virus Definitions Version 9/23/2014 Rev 1.185.967.0
    Realtime File Scanning Off

What's the solution for this?

:)

WizardIL, Nov 24, 2015
  2. sumghai Win User

[How To Fix] Microsoft Security Essentials prevents Windows Defender from running & cannot be uninstalled

Premise

I recently upgraded my HP Compaq 8510p notebook from Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64, and for the most part, the transition period has been fairly smooth.

One minor niggle I had, however, was that Microsoft Security Essentials was previously installed under Win 7, and after the upgrade to Win 10, the presence of Security Essentials prevents the new Windows Defender service from starting. When I tried uninstalling
    Security Essentials via the Control Panel, an error message appeared informing that the uninstaller could not be run under Win 10.

After a brief detour involving amateurish modifying of startup files through msconfig and deleting files in Safe Mode, which caused my laptop to no longer boot to Windows and ultimately necessitated a clean install, I'd like to share some lessons learned
    with everyone.

Before upgrading to Windows 10 from 7/8.1:

Make sure you uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first, as the uninstaller will not run under the new OS, and will interfere with the new Windows Defender.

If you already upgraded to Windows 10 but still have Microsoft Security Essentials running

You'll probably need to roll back to the previous version of Windows, remove Security Essentials, and then upgrade again.

If you aren't able to roll back (e.g. you removed the Previous Windows Installations via Windows Cleanup), the only way (unfortunately) would be to back up all of your data and perform a clean install to remove Security Essentials entirely.

Hope this helps.

sumghai, Nov 24, 2015
  3. Using Security Essentials in Windows 10, vs. Windows Defender?

Microsoft Security Essentials, is NOT compatible with Windows 10. You should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and restart your PC and it will turn on Windows Defender.

Technically, Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials are using similar detection engine, while for Windows 10, Windows Defender enhanced due to new security features in Windows and it has better protection.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Nov 24, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Do you have another AV program running ??? Sometime that AV program will disable the built-in MSE and WD

5. WizardIL Win User
    No Other AV running. Was told Norton Security was installed at one time but removed. I ran Norton Removal Tool but no change.
    Directory in C:\Programs with MSE but is Empty.

WizardIL, Nov 24, 2015
  6. WizardIL Win User
    Belarc Advisor warns about Definition over 30 days old.

I Looked in Registry but nothing. WD and MSE from same company?

What if I use Local Group Policy Editor and turn on Windows Defender?

WizardIL, Nov 25, 2015
  7. Have you tried reinstalling MSE again and then completely remove it
    Or have you tried Revo Uninstaller you can try it for 30 day trial

hTconeM9user, Nov 25, 2015
  8. WizardIL Win User

Yes. I thought about reinstalling MSE but did not want to mess up machine if failed.

I use Local Group Policy Editor and turn on Windows Defender. Restarted machine.
    WD would open. I enabled and downloaded definitions. It did a quick scan, Looks normal in Security like it working now.

I went back into Local Group Policy Editor and return setting to Not configured. Restarted. WD is on and active now.

Belarc Advisor shows the same message as before.

Should I try to reinstall MSE now and uninstall?

WizardIL, Nov 25, 2015
  9. No if WD working ok see how it goes ok.
    Also have you updated Belarc Advisor as I believe it might be out of date, and that is what is giving you the false reading.
    I had it once when it kept telling me I had two updates out of date but they were not.

hTconeM9user, Nov 25, 2015
  10. WizardIL Win User
    OK. That was far to easy. I will monitor and update Belarc.

WizardIL, Nov 25, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    You can't do that even if you try.
    Windows Defender is the "improved" version of MSE.
    If you try to install MSE, the system will NOT let you do that because you already have Windows Defender.

davidhk, Nov 25, 2015
  12. WizardIL Win User
    It guess it "improved". I think MSE was not uninstall right or Norton destroy it. WD was working until I restarted.

I took a snapshot of a working WD registry. Registry says enabled, and I can open and it has control of firewall and virus. When updates try to download it saying no network connected can not complete update. Looks like when ever WD tries update it wants send update to MSE location. The working snapshot value is 0 and this machine value is 8 and will not allow a change.

I thought MSE and WD software was same company. WD uses MSE basic frame with improvements. He will have to reinstall Windows 7 or a clean install of Windows 10.

WizardIL, Nov 25, 2015
  13. Windows 10 Pro Microsoft Security Essentials and No Windows Defender?

You'll need to backup your files and do a PC Refresh or clean OS install - it seems this as a bug that MS have still not fixed

garydexter, Nov 25, 2015
  14. Borg 386 Win User
    Yeah, there seems to have been an issue concerning Defender connected to the last update. Several people have had similar problems & in those cases, it looks like a refresh or repair install solves the problem.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Nov 25, 2015
  15. WizardIL Win User
    Bug for sure. I researched problem and never did find a fix. Don't think Refresh would work. I did a clean install. No problems at all. He already had all his files saved and program disks.

I found other problems that might be related MSE also. I found 2 files left in another directory that could not be removed, with cardfile in name (MS Wallet I think or something related to credit cards).

WizardIL, Nov 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro Microsoft Security Essentials and No Windows Defender? - Similar Threads - Pro Microsoft Security

2. windows security essential win 10 pro.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows security essential win 10 pro.: Hello good morning, I was using Kaspersky internet security for my win 10 pro version 20H2. Now I decided to uninstall the KIS and windows own security essential, when I remove the KIS completely with the removal tools, my windows security did not start automatically,...
  3. Microsoft Security essential windows 10.

Microsoft Security essential windows 10.: Hello, good evening, I am using win 10 pro, I was using Kaspersky Internet security on my Pc, Now I decided to use Windows 10 Security essential, could you please confirm that windows security essential is good enough to protect my pc from online security like...
  4. windows security essential win 10 pro.

windows security essential win 10 pro.: Hello, I am using Windows 10 pro-security essential instead of Kaspersky internet security. is the widow's security essential is good enough to protect the pc from online security like Kaspersky or any other 3rd party internet security? Thank you....
  5. Microsoft Security Essentials vs. Windows 10 Defender effectiveness ?

Microsoft Security Essentials vs. Windows 10 Defender effectiveness ?: The Norton subscription expired on my Windows 7 HTPC & I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I noticed the Antivirus & Antispyware definitions were the same version as the latest security intelligence update for Windows 10 Microsoft Defender....
  6. microsoft security essentials

microsoft security essentials: How do i uninstall when it wont let me i get error code 0x80070643 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials/d810d3bf-9073-4ec7-a57a-4260a3b4f278
  7. microsoft security essentials

microsoft security essentials: I am seeing yellow for my "MSE" i am "trying to scan it so i clicked on a quick scan it still showing yellow so I take it that did not work. My question is in the settings where it says "run a scheduled scan" well the boxes are checked (i have no idea why or what anything I...
  8. Is Microsoft Security Essentials available on Windows 10?

Is Microsoft Security Essentials available on Windows 10?: I use MSE on my Windows 7 System. I enable real-time monitoring and do a weekly scan. I prefer it over any of the 3rd party products (Mc***, W*Bro*****,No***N.) I'm new to Windows 10. Is MSE pre-loaded? Thanks....
  9. Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials: Today I find that the Security Essentials program keeps shutting down. I have tried to restart it several times just to have it shut down moments later. What is the problem?...
  10. Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender

Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender: I have been running Win10 for a couple of years now and have depended on Windows Defender as my anti-virus protection along with Malware Bytes. So far no problems. While surfing this morning a came across an articled which implied Defender alone needed the company of Windows...