Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro N - Clean Install to SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro N - Clean Install to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm installing a SSD on my computer and want to start off with a fresh copy of Windows 10. My current OS is Windows 10 Pro N. I'm guessing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lazlo, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Lazlo Win User

Windows 10 Pro N - Clean Install to SSD

I'm installing a SSD on my computer and want to start off with a fresh copy of Windows 10.

My current OS is Windows 10 Pro N.

I'm guessing Microsoft wants my new install to be the N version as well.

I downloaded an iso of Windows 10 Pro N and want to put in on a USB stick for the installation.

I just started the Windows Media Creation tool but the only option it gives me is Windows 10 Pro 32 bit or 64 bit.

Because I currently have Windows 10 Pro N, do I have to install that version or will it all get sorted out after installation?

:)

Lazlo, Oct 18, 2017

2. Is it possible to install Windows 10 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro N key?

Unfortunately, no, a Windows 10 Pro N key cannot install and activate a non-N Windows 10 Pro license.

You would have to acquire a non-N Windows 10 Pro license, then perform a clean install.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 18, 2017
  3. Cannot seem to upgrade from Windows Pro N to Windows Pro

A Windows 10 Pro N key cannot activate non-N Windows 10 Pro and you will need to perform a clean install if you want to migrate from Windows 10 Pro N.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Jimmyb Win User

Jimmyb, Oct 18, 2017
  5. Lazlo Win User
    Thanks, but I'm not concerned with installing the media features that the N Edition lacks. I know how to do that.

I'm wondering if I have to specifically install Windows 10 Pro N, since that is what I currently have, or if installing the generic version of 10 Pro that the Media Creation tool makes is OK.

Lazlo, Oct 18, 2017
  6. Lazlo Win User
    I found my original USB stick with Windows 10 Pro N on it so my problem is solved.

Lazlo, Oct 18, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Except you have installed an old version. The media creation tool download contains latest N and normal versions - you just choose during installation.

cereberus, Oct 18, 2017
  8. Lazlo Win User

Perfect! That's what I needed to know.

Thanks!

Lazlo, Oct 18, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Holy cow... the ISO file from the media creation tool contains:

Code: G:\x64\sources>dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.esd Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Details for image : install.esd Index : 1 Name : Windows 10 S Description : Windows 10 S Size : 15,748,508,043 bytes Index : 2 Name : Windows 10 S N Description : Windows 10 S N Size : 14,682,635,068 bytes Index : 3 Name : Windows 10 Home Description : Windows 10 Home Size : 15,567,580,753 bytes Index : 4 Name : Windows 10 Home N Description : Windows 10 Home N Size : 14,496,690,559 bytes Index : 5 Name : Windows 10 Home Single Language Description : Windows 10 Home Single Language Size : 15,569,063,438 bytes Index : 6 Name : Windows 10 Education Description : Windows 10 Education Size : 15,746,024,004 bytes Index : 7 Name : Windows 10 Education N Description : Windows 10 Education N Size : 14,680,122,009 bytes Index : 8 Name : Windows 10 Pro Description : Windows 10 Pro Size : 15,746,775,851 bytes Index : 9 Name : Windows 10 Pro N Description : Windows 10 Pro N Size : 14,680,828,085 bytes[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Oct 19, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Is that the en-us esd? I'd already spotted that in my en-gb esd. Interesting to note that....
    Also, we're going to have to be very careful what index number we use with dism from now on...

Cumulative Update KB4043961 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.19

11. It looks like the MCT and my MSDN ISO are finally the same. This is what is shown for info for my MSDN Multi edition ISO.

Windows 10 Pro N - Clean Install to SSD [​IMG]

Before the Fall Update multi was only Home and Pro. N was a separate ISO, Education was a separate ISO, Education N was a separate ISO etc etc. Now there are only two Multi, and Multi VL that has Enterprise, Pro, and Education on it. Now I only have to download 2 ISO's to have all that I need.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro N - Clean Install to SSD - Similar Threads - Pro Clean Install

2. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.: Unable to boot, getting the following error message from startup repair;Startup repair Log File: D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Tried to use all other methods found, none have worked....
  3. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.: Unable to boot, getting the following error message from startup repair;Startup repair Log File: D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Tried to use all other methods found, none have worked....
  4. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 PRO N and I want to install windows pro 10 without the N

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 PRO N and I want to install windows pro 10 without the N: After installing the plain pro 10 version it still shows as having the pro 10 N version installed. I upgraded machines moving the SSD over only, so the "N" version became invalid. I can't seem to upgrade and take the "N" version off. I have a valid license key for the pro...
  6. Windows 10 Pro N installation

Windows 10 Pro N installation: Hello. I wanted to ask if there is anywhere I can download Windows 10 Pro N and I need your help, I can't find it. I had it somewhere on my drives but I can't find it neither. I bought a new PC, I have a Product key but I can't find that edition anywhere. I live in Europe so...
  7. Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD

Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD: I've got a clunky 1TB HDD that's just about to fall over. I want to buy a 1TB SSD and rather than transfer everything over from the HDD, I want to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SDD. How easy is this and how do I go about it?...
  8. Windows 10 pro. clean install.

Windows 10 pro. clean install.: Hi, I am running windows 10 pro. 32 bit on a HP laptop. It was a upgrade from assistive technology which I'm using. How do I do a clean install of windows 10 pro. And install a 64 bit this time. And I have a flash drive 16 GB. Will someone walk me through it please....
  9. New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit

New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit: Hi Everybody, In about 2-3 weeks I will get a new SSD Samsung 850 EVO Basic MZ-75E2T0 2TB to replace my too small SSD of the same brand. I am running Win 10 Pro 64-bit fully licensed and I have all the keys like Product ID, Installed Key, Original Key, Original Edition...
  10. Windows 10 Pro clean installation on SSD stops at settings step

Windows 10 Pro clean installation on SSD stops at settings step: I followed steps for installation on SSD with UEFI Everything went well until the first restart after installation files reached 100% When screen came back it was back to original Install now screen. I had disabled secure boot in firmware as suggested. SSD is the only...