Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just ordered a new PC with Windows 10 Pro - it was a custom build. This arrived in January. I have realised that I have bought an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnManis2, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard

I have just ordered a new PC with Windows 10 Pro - it was a custom build. This arrived in January.

I have realised that I have bought an inappropriate motherboard for the processor I got. It is not faulty - I just stupidly chose a cheap model. I would now like to change it.

I believe however that as this came with an OEM licence, if I replace the motherboard I will have to buy a new Windows 10 Pro as well - only one month after buying the old one.

I am already being 'punished' once for buying the wrong motherboard in that I will have to pay twice for two motherboards. It seems very tough to make me pay for a second operating system as well as a second motherboard.

Is there any leniency at all from Microsoft on this? If I call them up after installing the new motherboard is there any chance an activation would be allowed?

Presumably this policy is in place to prevent abuse - there is no abuse here at all and I could take whatever steps are asked to prove it!

:)

JohnManis2, Feb 26, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 26, 2021
  3. nkienitz Win User
    Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Pro ?

Just replaced motherboard on my old Dell D830 that I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro last August.

Went through steps on setting up new MOBO and it is up/working just fine.

I happened to run Belarc Advisor just to get a snapshot of data for the file. What is interesting is that Belarc indicates the O/S is Windows 8 Pro (build 9200).

I looked at another recent thread here at TenForums and also took some of the steps suggested and figured that maybe I needed to install or re-install Windows 10. I checked the Update/Security/Activation tab and it indicates that Windows 10 Pro is installed, activated with a digital entitlement.

So ... why does Belarc seem to see only Windows 8 Pro? Maybe because of the "maturity" of the D830? I know that Dell has disclaimers at their site that says the D830 has not been certified for Windows 10.

So, it is working, but the data from Belarc just has me scratching my head.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

nkienitz, Feb 26, 2021
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard

1. Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard - Similar Threads - Pro motherboard

2. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  3. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  4. I had a subscription to a MSAP, I was using Windows 10 Pro N and my motherboard died. I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I had a subscription to a MSAP, I was using Windows 10 Pro N and my motherboard died. I...: I had a subscription to a MSAP, I was using Windows 10 Pro N and my motherboard died. I need a new Windows 10 Pro N license. I stopped my subscription as I was not getting the benefit and it was expensive. A system that I had Windows 10 Pro N installed on had a motherboard...
  5. I had a subscription to a MSAP, I was using Windows 10 Pro N and my motherboard died. I...

I had a subscription to a MSAP, I was using Windows 10 Pro N and my motherboard died. I...: I had a subscription to a MSAP, I was using Windows 10 Pro N and my motherboard died. I need a new Windows 10 Pro N license. I stopped my subscription as I was not getting the benefit and it was expensive. A system that I had Windows 10 Pro N installed on had a motherboard...
  6. I had a subscription to a MSAP, I was using Windows 10 Pro N and my motherboard died. I...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Can I use my Windows 11 Pro Key in my computer where I changed the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my Windows 11 Pro Key in my computer where I changed the motherboard?: I was searching the internet but I kept running into a dead end. There is no link to "Add to Microsoft account" on the activation page. Need help....
  8. Can I use my Windows 11 Pro Key in my computer where I changed the motherboard?

Can I use my Windows 11 Pro Key in my computer where I changed the motherboard?: I was searching the internet but I kept running into a dead end. There is no link to "Add to Microsoft account" on the activation page. Need help....
  9. Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...: I currently have a 256gb sata ssd with windows 11 pro boost drive, 1tb hdd with files that i can put in a usb and a m.2 ssd with games. I currently have a new motherboard coming and it says it has windows 10 on the motherboard description and i was wondering if me putting my...
  10. Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...

Can i move a sata ssd with windows 11 pro to a new motherboard that says it has windows 10...: I currently have a 256gb sata ssd with windows 11 pro boost drive, 1tb hdd with files that i can put in a usb and a m.2 ssd with games. I currently have a new motherboard coming and it says it has windows 10 on the motherboard description and i was wondering if me putting my...