Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I re-installed Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8390 PC and upgraded to Pro, and now cannot activate Windows. The PC was originally shipped with Windows 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by niceyeti, Aug 29, 2019.

1. niceyeti Win User

Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing

I re-installed Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8390 PC and upgraded to Pro, and now cannot activate Windows.

The PC was originally shipped with Windows 10, then Ubuntu Server was installed, then was returned to Windows 10. Reinstalling Windows 10 from a bootable usb was successful, and as I understand it is licensed via the hardware/tpm. No hardware changes have been made to the PC since the original Windows installation, and the licensing/product key had no issues at this point. However, we then installed Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft store, and everything was fine until a day later. There is an 'Activate Windows' watermark, and in Settings it says 'Windows is not activated'.

Attempted fixes:

• Using the Settings->Activation->Troubleshooting tool provides no additional info, and does not provided an error code
    • Ran 'slmgr.vbs /dlv' (I can post the output if requested)
    • There is no other info in Settings->Activation

Windows 10 provides no info as to why it cannot be activated in scenarios when it was installed the new, non-product key route.

How can we debug these activation/license issues? Thanks for any help.

:)

niceyeti, Aug 29, 2019

2. Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Aug 29, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Aug 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing

1. Windows 10 Pro not activated after installing - Similar Threads - Pro activated installing

2. Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install: I followed all instructions and performed a successful clean install after adding a SSD drive to PC that was activated with digital PRO license before hardware change. Windows is insisting that I purchase Windows PRO version upgrade again. What did I do wrong?...
  3. Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install: I followed all instructions and performed a successful clean install after adding a SSD drive to PC that was activated with digital PRO license before hardware change. Windows is insisting that I purchase Windows PRO version upgrade again. What did I do wrong?...
  4. Windows 10 PRO license activates as HOME after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Pro provided by manufacturer - Wont activate after install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro provided by manufacturer - Wont activate after install: Hello, I purchased a new laptop with windows 10 pro from the manufacturer. Windows failed to properly apply a firmware upadate to the BIOS prompting me to reinstall windows due to an endless bootloop. I used the windows 10 media creation tool to make a USB installer....
  6. Activating the Windows 10 Pro Version after a fresh, clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating the Windows 10 Pro Version after a fresh, clean install: Hello, I'm currently downloading windows 10 through media installation tool on an external USB drive, so I can use it to install fresh, authentic windows 10 on my PC. However, I know we're supposed to activate the windows after it's done installing. I was wondering if I...
  7. Cannot Activate Windows 10 Pro After Fresh Install

Cannot Activate Windows 10 Pro After Fresh Install: Hello. Last fall I made an upgrade to Windows 10 Home to Pro using the Microsoft store. I bought the Home key over two years ago and I was upgrading it to Pro. I never got my key in an email and I cannot view the key in the invoice online like I can with my Home key. When I...
  8. Windows 10 PRO install and activation

Windows 10 PRO install and activation: I purchased this product in May of 2017. When I log into my Microsoft account, I should have a digital key. My order page just shows the purchase and when I reinstalled Windows 10 PRO it says my copy won't activate. Nothing I do is helping. I went to windows...
  9. Can't Activate windows 10 pro after a clean install

Can't Activate windows 10 pro after a clean install: I am not able to activate my windows 10 pr0 using my product key earlier I used to have windows 10 home but now I changed to pro and now I couldn't activate it...
  10. Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro

Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro: This is for those who have upgraded an OEM Windows 8/8.1 Home machine to Windows 8.1 Pro and then to Windows 10 Pro. Edited: Did you replace your old HHD/SSD, take it back to bare metal (delete all partitions and start over), or just format the hard drive for a clean...