Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Thanks for your help NavyLCDR. Will provide the screenshots when I get home. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TenneR, Nov 19, 2017.

1. TenneR Win User

Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD

Thanks for your help NavyLCDR.

Will provide the screenshots when I get home.

TenneR, Nov 20, 2017
  2. TenneR Win User

Please see screens. I've included the message which I got this morning

Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD [​IMG]

TenneR, Nov 20, 2017
  3. I wonder what would happen if you imaged your working activated win10 hd using Macrium, then restored the image onto the SSD?

I should simply work, be activated.

sdowney717, Nov 21, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2017
  5. TenneR Win User
    @sdowney717 and @NavyLCDR

As per my post # 12, I can confirm the restored activated (HDD) image to SSD worked, but I'm more interested as why a direct clean install onto SSD doesn't activate on exactly the same hardware?

When I tried earlier, definitely Pro (not Pro N), to activate on SSD, I clicked through to troubleshoot which confirmed that my device only had a digital license for Windows 10 Home.

However, why is it that it activates pro on HDD but not SDD and are you not able to have two licenses assigned to the same device?

TenneR, Nov 21, 2017
  6. I had a problem with activation. I contacted MS online live tech chat support. They took control of the PC remotely, then activated win10 pro for me.
    So the thing is, install the same win10 version that is linked to your ms account on the PC with the SSD having the booting win10 OS that refuses to activate.
    Then log onto your MS online account online. There is a chat option to work with a live tech somewhere on that site, not their robot.
    Explain the issue and let them repair the activation for that device. I saw the option after viewing my device online. And ask them why it is failing and what they did to fix it, then let us know what happened.

Microsoft account | Sign In or Create Your Account Today

sdowney717, Nov 21, 2017
  7. bestellen Win User
    If you have a valid license you can get a GenuineTicket and use it to clean install or repair install.

bestellen, Nov 22, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

We need to see the results of slmgr /dlv from the Windows 10 Pro that is activated. And not your interpretation of the results - we need to see an actual screenshot of the results. I suspect there is actually something wrong with the activation of the Windows 10 Pro that is showing as activated. Also a screenshot of the Activation screen from Settings, Updates and Security:

Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  9. I have a valid license, and also did a fresh clean install on the wiped drive. I had done an upgrade from win7 and decided it need that to get rid of its past, which maybe malware left over. Boot time was cut in half after the fresh install and win10 ran stable. I had been getting driver status fail errors. and win10 was so slow...

All I did was on an ubuntu linux PC, download win10 pro version 1709 iso from MS.
    I then right clicked the iso in linux file manager and wrote it to a dvd +rw.
    I then booted that dvd with only that one HDD in the PC.
    Told installer to wipe the drive partition, and install win10.
    skip product key prompt.
    When it booted up it was activated, linked to my MS account.

So no genuine ticket needed. Just a win10 os activated and digitally linked to my MS account on that particular device.

sdowney717, Nov 22, 2017
  10. TenneR Win User
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Everything looks good on that activation. When you try to run it from the SSD, make sure the computer name is the same as the activated installation. Also, I would log in with a Microsoft Account just to get the digital license linked to it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2017
  12. Kyhi Win User
    get genuine ticket and save it....
    install OS
    copy ticket into proper folder
    reboot
    activated...
    done...

13. NavyLCDR New Member

Post #12:

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD - Similar Threads - Pro activating SSD

2. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  3. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  4. Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD: Hi,I have the HP 250 G4 and I have windows 10 pro installed onto the Hard Drive inside the laptop. I recently purchased a Solid State Drive so I could get better performance out of the laptop as it is for school and I’ll need quite a few tasks running at once. I went into...
  5. Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD: Hi,I have the HP 250 G4 and I have windows 10 pro installed onto the Hard Drive inside the laptop. I recently purchased a Solid State Drive so I could get better performance out of the laptop as it is for school and I’ll need quite a few tasks running at once. I went into...
  6. Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have dell inspiron 3542 with Windows 10 Pro genuine version in HDD, and it's digitally activated while upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro, I backed up my product ID in Microsoft account, But yesterday I had inserted 2nd SSD caddy in DVD slot, I tried to migrate OS...
  7. Windows 10 don't activate after replacing HDD with SSD. Win10 is activated when HDD is...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 don't activate after replacing HDD with SSD. Win10 is activated when HDD is...: Hello, I replaced my HDD with SSD and installed Windows 10. Using the SSD Windows10 is not activated I tried using the Troubleshoot options as well as deleting and adding devices on my Microsoft account. But still no success activating my Windows 10. I have a digital license...
  8. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD

Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have about 10 PCs at my office that are all using either 5400 or 7200 rpm HDDs that we want to upgrade to SSDs. All computers are all-in-ones: either Dell Inspiron 24s or Acer Aspire C24s and all are running Windows 10 Pro. I am planning on simply cloning the current...
  9. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  10. Changed HDD for SSD now windows not activated

Changed HDD for SSD now windows not activated: Hello, I just cloned my HDD to an SSD, and now Windows is no longer activated. The troubleshooter doesn't fix the problem. The process returns the code 0x004f034 The Microsoft Account method does not work The chat bot doesn't come up with anything helpful I don't...