Windows 10: Windows 10 pro on new SSD and leaveWindows 7 Pro on HDD while migrating files? Can both OS...

Discus and support Windows 10 pro on new SSD and leaveWindows 7 Pro on HDD while migrating files? Can both OS... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an older Dell Optiplex 790 with a quad-core i5 - a really great machine and a great chassis. I have chosen to update/upgrade it rather than just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by beckyb12, Aug 9, 2019.

1. beckyb12 Win User

Windows 10 pro on new SSD and leaveWindows 7 Pro on HDD while migrating files? Can both OS...

I have an older Dell Optiplex 790 with a quad-core i5 - a really great machine and a great chassis. I have chosen to update/upgrade it rather than just purchasing something new - which is not in our budget right now.

Is is possible to clean install the Windows 10 Professional on the newly acquired 1T Crucial SSD but LEAVE Windows 7 Professional fully operational on the 1T WD Blue HDD currently operating in the computer?

I don't want to just do a disk image and move EVERYthing over to the new drive. My ultimate goal is to run the "new" OS (10 pro) and load all of my software on the SSD and save my files on the HDD. It's going to be a lengthy process because I have 3 (sadly, yes, 3) computers (one Dell laptop, one MacBook Air, and the Optiplex 790 Mini Tower that ALL need to be gone through, files weeded out, updated, etc. - PLUS I want to ensure that my software all works properly with Windows 10 Professional - which I still do not like as well as Windows 7 professional.

Can anyone answer these questions? I have been able to LOAD my purchased copy of Windows 10 Pro on the Crucial SSD - BUT it doesn't see the internet, doesn't connect with our homegroup, etc. I figure that there are ports and resources that are only available to ONE predominant OS per computer.

Many thanks,

beckyb12

:)

beckyb12, Aug 9, 2019

2. migrate(easiest) or reinstall win 10 pro on ssd...?

I had win 81 pro and upgraded to 10 pro... hdd...

Now plan to migrate to ssd... what is best...?

migrate(easiest) or reinstall win 10 pro on ssd...(hardest) ?

Lse123polis, Aug 9, 2019
  3. migrate(easiest) or reinstall win 10 pro on ssd...?

This thread is now far off the OP, which was

I had win 81 pro and upgraded to 10 pro... hdd...

Now plan to migrate to ssd... what is best...?

migrate(easiest) or reinstall win 10 pro on ssd...(hardest) ?

Cbarnhorst, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Windows 10 pro on new SSD and leaveWindows 7 Pro on HDD while migrating files? Can both OS...

Migration OS to a new SSD

I have a 1 TB HDD whit Win 10 home. Yesterday i bought a new 500 Gb SSD and I would know how i can migrate only mine OS and not all my file. Is it possible? how i can do it? A friend told me i can install windows 10 from the Microsoft site for free, and
    put my product key of the os of the old hdd in this new ssd. Is it true? Because i can't find this.

igorcasciotti, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 pro on new SSD and leaveWindows 7 Pro on HDD while migrating files? Can both OS...

1. Windows 10 pro on new SSD and leaveWindows 7 Pro on HDD while migrating files? Can both OS... - Similar Threads - pro SSD leaveWindows

2. Windows 10 Pro - Migrate profiles to a new domain

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Pro - Migrate profiles to a new domain: Hi, We are thinking in create a new domain for our enterprise. Our desktops (Windows 7 and Windows 10 Pro) are joined to the actual domain. Migrate user, computer and groups from Active Directory Users and Computers is easy. But, how can we migrate desktop profiles? As...
  3. SSD OS migration to new CPU/MB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD OS migration to new CPU/MB: Hello again all, i have broken down and i am going to do a partial upgraded to my main pc i have gone with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Retail Wraith Stealth - (AM4/Hex Core/3.40GHz/19MB/65W) - YD2600BBAFBOX: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15...
  4. can I activate windows 10 pro with a new windows 7 pro key?

can I activate windows 10 pro with a new windows 7 pro key?: can I activate windows 10 pro with a new windows 7 pro key? Is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-activate-windows-10-pro-with-a-new-windows-7/d74c7257-c8e8-441f-9b6b-7a33c5332a6a
  5. Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD

Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD: I have Installed a new WD SSD on my Asus S15 S510UN Laptop. I have been trying to identify possibilities of migrating my Windows 10 installation 'as it is' to my new WD SSD. I have tried using Acronis True Image WD Edition but am facing some issues with the installation. The...
  6. Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD: With one of my current PC configurations, I have activated and have been using / activating Win 10 Home without problems. I think this was from a retail key. Recently, I have discovered / reminded myself that I also have a Win 10 Pro license on this setup, but after...
  7. Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?: I will buy a SSD for my Acer desktop and install Win 10 on it and other programs I have on my computer. If I do a clean install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I have to delte Win 10 on the HDD first? I guess it is not allowed having two Windows 10 on the same computer (both...
  8. Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD

Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD: So I just installed a new MX300 M2 275GB SSD into my Acer nitro 791g laptop and formatted as GPT. I want to migrate/clone my OS partition to the SSD, and wipe the C partition on the old HDD. The first 3 partitions are system reserved I believe with the 3rd being the recovery...
  9. Migration to SSD/HDD system

Migration to SSD/HDD system: Hi, I have a cloned copy of my existing HDD and am considering buying (or personaly upgrading to) a new system with a SSD and HDD. Obviously the current Windows installation is on a HDD, so is it possiblethat I could I restore the cloned Windows system to a SSD and the...
  10. new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD)

in Windows 10 Support
    new laptop: Is it possible to migrate OS from SSD to HDD (yes to HDD): Hi, I recently bought an MSI GL62 6QF laptop and unfortunately although it is an excellent laptop it has some limitation that might urge me to return it system: 128 GB SSD in M.2 PCI-e (Windows pre-installed here) 1 TB HDD If you could help me I would like to know...