Windows 10: windows 10 pro on old computer same on new computer. Can I clone my old drive and copy it...

Discus and support windows 10 pro on old computer same on new computer. Can I clone my old drive and copy it... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; want old drive and programs installed on new computers drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bobsmith4141, Jun 3, 2020.

1. windows 10 pro on old computer same on new computer. Can I clone my old drive and copy it...

want old drive and programs installed on new computers drive

:)

Bobsmith4141, Jun 3, 2020

2. Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

I just bought a new computer, and was wondering if I could simply transfer my old hard drive to the new PC. FYI, my old computer was a Dell Dimension 8300, Windows XP, with an 80GB HD. My new computer is a custom Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition, Vista Home Premium 64, with a 1TB HD. Basically:

(1) If I physically remove the old Dell HD and put it in the new computer, will I be able to access my files?

(2) Will I be able to boot from the Windows XP operating system installed on the old HD? (And not compromise my ability to alternatively boot from Vista 64 on the new HD)?

(3) Can I copy the contents of the old HD to an external HD and achieve the result in #2?

Any advice would be appreciated!

diamondrajoor, Jun 3, 2020
  3. Old HD new Computer?

If you use a old hard drive with files and whatnot on it from a old computer and use it in a new build will the files still be saved or will the setup process wipe them out or how dose that work? Will a personal copy of windows need to be bought if it was just a factory install setup on the old hard drive?

Thanks for any help im still new to building, have done one for myself with no probs but a friend is asking for help with building a new computer with some of his old parts from one that broke. Any info is really appreicated *Toast :toast:

WarriorPoet, Jun 3, 2020
  4. DanJones9 Win User

windows 10 pro on old computer same on new computer. Can I clone my old drive and copy it...

installing old hard drive in new computer

I have an old hard dive from a laptop that was driven over in traffic. I bought a hard drive less exact replacement computer. I put the old drive in and it all works but now have an unlicensed copy of windows 10 pro.

DanJones9, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

windows 10 pro on old computer same on new computer. Can I clone my old drive and copy it...

1. windows 10 pro on old computer same on new computer. Can I clone my old drive and copy it... - Similar Threads - pro old computer

2. Can I Copy My Old Users File to a New One on the Same Laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I Copy My Old Users File to a New One on the Same Laptop?: I am in the process of migrating everything from one user on my laptop to another. Can I copy the users file from my old userid to the new one? Both userids will be in use at the same time. Is this a problem?...
  3. Can I Copy My Old Users File to a New One on the Same Laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I Copy My Old Users File to a New One on the Same Laptop?: I am in the process of migrating everything from one user on my laptop to another. Can I copy the users file from my old userid to the new one? Both userids will be in use at the same time. Is this a problem?...
  4. My Old computer to a Brand new computer

in Windows 10 Support
    My Old computer to a Brand new computer: I have been running a HP Pavilion P7-1410 with operating version Windows 8.1. 6.3 I went out and bought a New HP Pavilion Both are desktops TP01-0165z operating version Windows 10 version number not sure haven't even hooked it up yet completely brand new.. I also have...
  5. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  6. How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?: How can I clone my old laptop hard drive to a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-clone-my-old-hard-drive-to-a-new-hard/cd9498d2-e379-40c0-aef4-42328b6c428a
  7. swap windows pro old computer to windows home new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    swap windows pro old computer to windows home new computer: I just got a new computer that has windows home … I want to upgrade it to windows pro which I had on my old computer ….. I don't want to pay for another windows upgrade. I have a digital licence. Thanks for any help Peter...
  8. Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?: I have a 640 GB HDD from my old computer and would like to know if I can install it on my new desktop without issues. The connections match but not sure if the new computer will try and booth-up from the old hard drive. the new computer is running Window 10. Can anyone let...
  9. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  10. How to copy Live Mail content from external old clone to new computer?

in Browsers and Email
    How to copy Live Mail content from external old clone to new computer?: Hi, my old laptop died and I have the HDD in an external caddy. I previously used Live Mail and want to transfer contacts and emails from it to Live Mail on my new laptop. The new laptop has a clean install of Live Mail, untouched with nothing set up on it yet. I hadn't...