Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My old desktop has a valid Windows 10 Pro license bought in 2017 and still keep the product key. Today I have built a new desktop with more powerful... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GSimDC, Jan 27, 2021.

1. GSimDC Win User

Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop

My old desktop has a valid Windows 10 Pro license bought in 2017 and still keep the product key. Today I have built a new desktop with more powerful processor and dismantle the old one. I also recycled all the drives, including the previous windows boot drive.
    After the new desktop installation completed, I found out the product key cannot be used to activate the windows on my new desktop.

The pop-up message:

Unable to activate Windows
    We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you do have a valid license or key, select Troubleshoot below 0x803fa067

Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop 3254ec5e-7e87-45e1-845d-46840d1bbe7c?upload=true.jpg
    Have tried contacting support agent through online chat too many times and consistently got error before connecting.

Have tried finding phone number to call from the net and similarly unsuccessful.

Please help.

:)

GSimDC, Jan 27, 2021

2. New/Replacement Activation Key

You can purchase a Windows 10 Pro key then enter it yourself:

Step 1: Buy Windows 10 Home/Pro

Step 2:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop 3da2537b-b7cd-4a78-8e2e-37972d2e1eea.png

This can happen for a number of reasons:

• You copied a Windows 10 Pro off the Internet (usually a volume license - organization - key) and changed on a Windows 10 Home installation. Windows 10 Pro is not free.
      If this is what you did, you will need to reinstall the previous edition or version you were running. You inadvertently installed the wrong edition.
      • The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core
      will install Windows 10 Home

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro
      will install Windows 10 Pro

To find out if you have the right edition installed:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Edition.

If the edition of Windows 10 installed does not correspond with the edition of Windows 7 or Windows 8 you were previously running, then you need to reinstall the right edition.

Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop 17ce044e-74b0-43e6-8478-4e3807b6078e.png

Andre Da Costa, Jan 27, 2021
  3. GregNeff1 Win User
    Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work".

GregNeff1, Jan 27, 2021
  4. RJScottNT Win User

Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop

Wont' accept product key of activation of window 10

have new computer with new windows 10 but can't activate will not accept product key

RJScottNT, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro product key not accepted when activating a new replacement desktop - Similar Threads - Pro product key

2. Windows 10 Product Key not accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Product Key not accepted: We have a client using a Windows 10 Surface, purchased some years ago.The windows installation is asking for its activation key, which is not currently known, we have tried the following:CMD: wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey -> This gives a key...
  3. Windows 10 Product Key not accepted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Product Key not accepted: We have a client using a Windows 10 Surface, purchased some years ago.The windows installation is asking for its activation key, which is not currently known, we have tried the following:CMD: wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey -> This gives a key...
  4. Windows 10 Product Key not accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Pro Product Key Will Not Activate

Windows 10 Pro Product Key Will Not Activate: Hi!I'm currently in the process of setting up my new laptop. This laptop comes with Windows 10 Home edition installed onto it out of the box, however I replaced the included nvme with my own two and went ahead and installed Windows 10 Pro N - an edition I use whenever I...
  6. windows 10 will not accept product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 will not accept product key: I purchased windows 10 for a computer that I had owned. I replaced the computer and reloaded windows 10 into the new computer. Windows 10 will not accept the product key that came with the software...
  7. Activation/ product key not accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation/ product key not accepted: Hi: I checked out Win 10 PRO using a place holder key but now I am not able to roll it back to my OEM Win 10 HOME version of windows. I tried some steps like updating the registry to HOME from PRO and then mounting and running the ISO for WIN 10 but it doesn't work. It...
  8. Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

Win 10 Pro product key not accepted: I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work"....
  9. windows 10 pro activation product key

windows 10 pro activation product key: I have windows 10 home as the product key on my laptop but want to install windows 10 pro so I can access remote desktop from work. When I put code in it says it is incorrect with error code Oxc004f050....
  10. Windows 10 activation problems - not accepting product key

Windows 10 activation problems - not accepting product key: I bought my laptop with Windows 10 already installed. It worked fine to begin with but, after a few months it started showing the message "Activate Windows". I have not made any hardware changes to the laptop (I wouldn't know how!) so not sure why it suddenly needed...