Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop credentials not working

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop credentials not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have two PCs on my home network. Let's call them WORK and PERSONAL. I use WORK for, well, work, but I only have limited physical space and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoshuaWFH, Jul 28, 2020.

1. JoshuaWFH Win User

Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop credentials not working

Hello,

I have two PCs on my home network. Let's call them WORK and PERSONAL. I use WORK for, well, work, but I only have limited physical space and one set of keyboard, mouse, and monitors, so I'm constantly unplugging my devices from WORK and then plugging them into PERSONAL when I'm done working, and then back again. This is terrible for my I/O, as well as being annoying. So, I decided to set up a Remote Desktop connection. Both PCs are Windows 10 Pro, with respective Microsoft accounts two different, verified Microsoft accounts. I followed the setup guide here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028379/windows-10-how-to-use-remote-desktop

I set this all up on WORK.

Then I logged onto PERSONAL and attempted to log in. I'm able to see WORK on my network, and when I connect to it I get a dialog box that asks me for my login credentials.

However, no login credentials work. I only get the error "The username and password used to connect to the remote PC didn't work. Enter a different account and try again."

I have tried every login credential I could think of. I've tried the exact email address and password for the Microsoft account associated with WORK, I've tried the computer name and user name associated with WORK, and all the same for PERSONAL. I even renamed the WORK PC and changed the username and password to no avail.

I have tried turning OFF requiring Network Level Authentication on WORK. I have tried setting up PERSONAL for remote access. I have tried downloading the Remote Desktop app from the Microsoft Store and setting that up. Nothing works.

Potential issues:
    PERSONAL has a two factor authentication associated with it, but WORK does not.

Both WORK and PERSONAL are using the default admin profiles, and no other users or accounts are associated with them.

Both WORK and PERSONAL are connected via ethernet cable on my local home network.
    On PERSONAL, I can see my WORK machine connected to the network. However, on WORK, I cannot see PERSONAL. Weirdly, I have all the advanced sharing settings identical on both computers.
    When I look at the c:\Users\ folder on WORK, it shows the name default.DESKTOP-[some numbers]. I do not recognize this as the username, but I guess it was automatically generated.
    When I look at the c:\Users\ folder on PERSONAL, it shows a shortened version of my Microsoft account email address associated with my PERSONAL machine.

As of right now, I'm burned out on trying things. I don't understand why this doesn't work; this is a terrible experience and I can't believe it is so hard to get it right. I even bought the Windows Pro upgrade for my PERSONAL machine because I saw a warning that I couldn't use Remote Desktop on Windows Home.

Any suggestions?

:)

JoshuaWFH, Jul 28, 2020
  2. dortegajr Win User

Invalid Login Credentials Remote Desktop Windows 10

Had the same issue. I was connecting from Windows 10 Home laptop to another laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I recently upgraded the Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Professional. I was able to remote desktop prior to the upgrade using my credentials without
    any issues. Once I upgraded, to Win 10 Pro, it said my credentials were invalid. It worked fine after this suggestion! Thanks.

dortegajr, Jul 28, 2020
  3. After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, Remote Desktop is not working

Hi Mayukh,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run Built In troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Step 1: Please follow the steps below to run Built in Troubleshooter:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search area on the taskbar.
    • Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.
    • Select Windows store Apps.
    • Follow the on screen instruction.
    Step 2: After running Troubleshooter follow the below steps.

• Type Remote Desktop in search bar.
    • Select Remote Desktop app and open it.
    • In the bottom you will see a button as Show Options.
    • Click on Show Options, you will see the options to enter your credentials.
    • Enter the credentials and click on Connect.
    • Check if it works.
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop credentials not working

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, Remote Desktop is not working

Hi,

I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro, using the tool in the Microsoft website. However, after the upgrade I am unable to use the Remote Desktop app in Windows 10. Everytime, I try to Remote Desktop
    to a server 2003 in the same network, it throws the "Enter your Credentials" dialog box, however, there is no place to enter the credentials or hit the OK button to continue. The server is on the same network and is accessible to other OS in the network and
    the problem just lies with Windows 10 since one of my colleagues also tried with the same result. Please advise.

I have tried the following:

• Allowed the Remote Desktop app in the Firewall to Public, Private and Domain.
    • Edited the Group Policy by using
    gpedit.msc ->Administrative Templates -> System -> Credentials Delegation -> Allow delegating saved credentials with NTLM-only server authentication -> Enabled + Show -> TERMSRV\<computer name>

• Prior to this, I had also saved credentials in the Credential Manager for the particular server I am trying to connect.

MayukhGhosh, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop credentials not working

1. Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop credentials not working - Similar Threads - Pro Remote Desktop

2. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  3. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work": So after searching I decided to post this question because all the solutions don't seem to reflect my situation.Before we start I want to preface a few things:All Microsoft Account Passwords are correct I've confirmed them by logging into to the respective MS accounts and...
  4. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work": So after searching I decided to post this question because all the solutions don't seem to reflect my situation.Before we start I want to preface a few things:All Microsoft Account Passwords are correct I've confirmed them by logging into to the respective MS accounts and...
  5. Remote Desktop "Your Credentials Did Not Work"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  6. No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop: We have a computer that when ever some one tries to use Remote Desktop it opens a window that lets them know their credentials will be used, but gives no area to input credentials or accept. Simply the option to cancel. I have attached a screenshot. We checked Windows...
  7. Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work

Remote Desktop Credentials Did Not Work: I am failing to get this to work. I have spent the past two hours googling solutions. I tried the ones I understood, none worked. Target PC is 192.168.0.9 Target PC microsoft account is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Target PC is win10 pro Remote PC microsoft...
  8. Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work"

Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work": I reinstalled windows on my Desktop yesterday. I previously had a handy little shortcut on my desktop to allow me to access my laptops desktop via remote desktop. Of course this shortcut has now disappeared, so I tried to set it up again. Now, when I go to connect it asks...
  9. Your credentials did not work in Remote Desktop on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Your credentials did not work in Remote Desktop on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Problems with Remote Desktop connections are common. While attempting to connect to the Remote Desktop network, many users have reported the error – Your credentials did not work, The login attempt failed. If you face this issue, obviously, the first [...]...
  10. Remote Desktop Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - The credentials that were used to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Desktop Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - The credentials that were used to...: As above I am trying to connect my Windows 10 Home laptop to my Windows 10 Pro Desktop using RDP. When trying to do this I receive the error 'The credentials that were used to connect to *.*.*.* did not work. These credentials are being copied and pasted, and are also the...