Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro + SSD Failure = No key being tied to my account?

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro + SSD Failure = No key being tied to my account? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Activation Issue Hi! I recently had a SSD failure and since replaced the drive [The drive had my OS on at the time and I forgot to back it up]. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ciel_0, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Ciel_0 Win User

Windows 10 Pro + SSD Failure = No key being tied to my account?

Activation Issue

Hi! I recently had a SSD failure and since replaced the drive [The drive had my OS on at the time and I forgot to back it up].

I grabbed a new drive and reinstalled Windows and finally had it all sorted, I then went to activate my version of Windows using my Windows 10 Pro key that I thought was tied to my account. Went to the troubleshooter and pressed

the "Recently Changed Hardware" option and the only version of Windows I was shown was Windows 10 Home.

Windows 10 Pro + SSD Failure = No key being tied to my account? f84c88bc-7090-4d83-9fc3-1a4355f43baf?upload=true.png

I can't activate this version of windows either for whatever reason. The only error code I ever get is on the activation tab and is "0xC004F025" which I can't find any documentation on or I am really just blind.

I can't even supply the Product Key for the Windows 10 Pro because it was saved in a text document on the drive that failed. And to clarify, the product key for the Windows 10 Pro was given to me by a friend when he got a new system as he was using Linux for a project and we've tried going to the company that sold the PC to see if we can get a new one but as it wasn't used in the system supplied they've declined the request.

I really don't want to spend around £200 to get a new key due to a SSD failure. First time I've ever had a drive failure at all so I suppose I'm doing pretty well considering that.

Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. I'll list below what I've already tried!

I've tried:

Going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10738/windows-10-get-help-with-activation-errors and looking for my error code "0xC004F025"of which cannot be found.

I've tried contacting support but apparently my carrier doesn't like to accept the toll free number calling me or me calling the number.

:)

Ciel_0, Jan 23, 2020

2. windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Jan 23, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 Pro + SSD Failure = No key being tied to my account? :(

Zakin, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro + SSD Failure = No key being tied to my account? - Similar Threads - Pro SSD Failure

2. How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro After SSD Failure?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro After SSD Failure?: I purchased Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft Store in December 2019 and upgraded my new computer. Last week the SSD drive failed and the local computer store installed a new SSD drive and Windows 10 Home. My Microsoft account shows the computer with the previous computer...
  3. How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro After SSD Failure?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro After SSD Failure?: I purchased Windows 10 Pro from the Microsoft Store in December 2019 and upgraded my new computer. Last week the SSD drive failed and the local computer store installed a new SSD drive and Windows 10 Home. My Microsoft account shows the computer with the previous computer...
  4. How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro After SSD Failure?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?: A friend bought a windows 10 pro key for a computer that had no SO instaled. After installing he activated the windows 10 copy and introduced and tied it to a microsoft account, as is required (by wich i mean, he did the custom setup for windows 10 pro). Now he has to format...
  6. Windows key is tied to a University email account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows key is tied to a University email account: Hi all, TL;DR: My old Windows key is tied to a University email account that I no longer have access to and I am unable to reactivate my Windows 10 now after a clean install. Is there any way of proving my purchase or somehow retrieving the old key? This all started when I...
  7. Purchasing a Windows 10 Key that isn't tied to Employees Microsoft Account.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Purchasing a Windows 10 Key that isn't tied to Employees Microsoft Account.: Hello, I've built some new computers for our small 3 person company. I've set up a fresh install of windows 10 on my employees new computers using their Microsoft accounts as the admin. However, I want to make sure that my Microsoft account is the one that owns the Windows...
  8. Is Windows Edition, e.g. Pro, tied to User Account or Machine

Is Windows Edition, e.g. Pro, tied to User Account or Machine: I got some very helpful tips from this site on how to prepare the sale of my PC to someone. I particularly like the one that will create an OOTB experience for the new owner. This is probably a 2 part question, so where I'm slightly confused is when the new owner signs in...
  9. Installed Windows 10 Home by mistake, can't upgrade to Pro with the Pro licence tied to my...

Installed Windows 10 Home by mistake, can't upgrade to Pro with the Pro licence tied to my...: Hello, I recently got a new computer. I have a Windows 10 Pro digital licence tied to my Microsoft account, but installed Home by mistake. Now, the Settings app tells me my Windows is not activated, since I don't have a Home licence. If I try to upgrade to Pro through the...
  10. RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account: I am having a problem using RDP and can't for the life of me figure it out. I have my PC running windows 10 and I use a Microsoft account with a pin to login. I have enabled and configured RDP access on the machine but can't login into it using my account. My Microsoft...