Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro unable to connect to samba share but works in safe mode

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro unable to connect to samba share but works in safe mode in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been having issues with my laptop, a dell latitude 8850 not being able to connect to any network shares. Don't think it ever worked since I've had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Crazytje, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Crazytje Win User

Windows 10 Pro unable to connect to samba share but works in safe mode

I've been having issues with my laptop, a dell latitude 8850 not being able to connect to any network shares.
    Don't think it ever worked since I've had it.

The machine in question is a windows 10 pro and is fully up to date

Tried with shares that were created on:
    - synology nas
    - freenas
    - a different win 10 pro
    - a windows 7 machine
    - localhost

It does work when I locally share something and go to localhost.
    What also works is booting the machine in safe mode with networking, once I do that all shares are accessible.

There was an anti virus installed, I've removed it to be sure that is not the problem. Also disabled the windows firewall just to make sure there are no firewall rules I'm not aware of.

As it works in safe mode, I checked the services and drivers but don't see anything out of the ordinary.
    This is a development machine so I do have things like Virtualbox, Visual Studio and openvpn installed.

It is a laptop from work, so it's logging in with a microsoft account, don't think that matters as things work in safe mode using the same account.

There are quite a few services that are running, here is the list:

Code: These Windows services are started: Adobe Acrobat Update Service Alps HID Monitor Service Application Information AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC) AVCTP service Background Intelligent Transfer Service Background Tasks Infrastructure Service Base Filtering Engine BitLocker Drive Encryption Service Bluetooth Audio Gateway Service Bluetooth Support Service Bluetooth User Support Service_62dd4 Bonjour Service Capability Access Manager Service Certificate Propagation Client for NFS Client License Service (ClipSVC) CNG Key Isolation COM+ Event System Computer Browser Connected Devices Platform Service Connected Devices Platform User Service_62dd4 Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Contact Data_62dd4 CoreMessaging Credential Manager Credential Vault Host Control Service Credential Vault Host Storage Credential Vault Upgrade Service Cryptographic Services Data Usage DCOM Server Process Launcher Delivery Optimization Dell Data Vault Collector Dell Data Vault Processor Dell Data Vault Service API Dell Digital Delivery Service Dell Hardware Support Dell SupportAssist Desktop Video Helper Service Device Association Service DHCP Client Diagnostic Policy Service Diagnostic Service Host Diagnostic System Host DNS Client ESIF Upper Framework Service Function Discovery Provider Host Group Policy Client Human Interface Device Service IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules Intel Bluetooth Service Intel(R) Content Protection HDCP Service Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Zero Configuration Service Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology IP Helper IPsec Policy Agent Local Session Manager Message Queuing Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service Microsoft Passport Microsoft Passport Container Net Driver HPZ12 Network Connection Broker Network List Service Network Location Awareness Network Store Interface Service OpenVPN Interactive Service OpenVPNService Phone Service Plug and Play Pml Driver HPZ12 Power Print Spooler Program Compatibility Assistant Service Realtek Audio Service Remote Access Connection Manager Remote Desktop Configuration Remote Desktop Services Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector Remote Procedure Call (RPC) RPC Endpoint Mapper Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service Security Accounts Manager Security Center Server Shell Hardware Detection Simple TCP/IP Services Smart Card SNMP Service SQL Server VSS Writer SSDP Discovery State Repository Service Storage Service Superfetch Sync Host_62dd4 System Event Notification Service System Events Broker System Guard Runtime Monitor Broker Task Scheduler TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper TeamViewer 13 Telephony Themes Time Broker Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service Update Orchestrator Service User Data Access_62dd4 User Data Storage_62dd4 User Manager User Profile Service Waves Audio Services Web Account Manager WebClient Windows Audio Windows Audio Endpoint Builder Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar Windows Connection Manager Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service Windows Defender Antivirus Service Windows Defender Firewall Windows Defender Security Center Service Windows Event Log Windows Font Cache Service Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Windows License Manager Service Windows Management Instrumentation Windows Phone IP over USB Transport (IpOverUsbSvc) Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 Windows Push Notifications System Service Windows Push Notifications User Service_62dd4 Windows Search Windows Update WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service WLAN AutoConfig WMI Performance Adapter Workstation[/quote] In safe mode it's a lot less:
    Code: These Windows services are started: Background Tasks Infrastructure Service Base Filtering Engine CNG Key Isolation CoreMessaging Cryptographic Services DCOM Server Process Launcher DHCP Client DNS Client IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules IPsec Policy Agent Local Session Manager Network List Service Network Location Awareness Network Store Interface Service Plug and Play Power Remote Procedure Call (RPC) RPC Endpoint Mapper Smart Card State Repository Service System Events Broker TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service User Manager User Profile Service Windows Audio Windows Audio Endpoint Builder Windows Connection Manager Windows Defender Antivirus Service Windows Defender Firewall Windows Event Log Windows Management Instrumentation WLAN AutoConfig Workstation[/quote] Does anyone have any idea what I can try next?
    A win 10 pro VM works fine, so it must be something that's installed/running but no idea where to look next.

:)

Crazytje, Sep 11, 2018

2. Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share on Linux Workstation

Hello Simon,

To better assist you, kindly provide the following information:

• What version of Samba Share are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have your done so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Sep 11, 2018
  3. bro67 Win User
    Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Actually it is the Guest browsing restrictions that Microsoft implemented, not SMB. There is an updated guide from the beginning of March that explains it, how to get Windows to see Linux shares.

See this from last year. It still works. Windows 10: Unable to Connect to Samba Shares schkerke.com

bro67, Sep 11, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Windows 10 pro not connecting with internet in safe mode.

Hi Umair,

Conflicts with the network settings is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to connect to the Internet while in safe mode with Networking. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Do you have a third-party security software installed?

Meanwhile, I would suggest that you try the steps provided by Jeffrey McClain
    in this
    thread
    on December 4, 2015. Many community members find his post helpful.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro unable to connect to samba share but works in safe mode - Similar Threads - Pro unable connect

2. Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10: Hello, I'm facing an issue with my laptop and to fix that i would like to run a DISM command in safe mode. However i cannot run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth as i cannot connect to the internet in safe mode.I headed over to msconfig from pressing Windows+R...
  3. Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10: Hello, I'm facing an issue with my laptop and to fix that i would like to run a DISM command in safe mode. However i cannot run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth as i cannot connect to the internet in safe mode.I headed over to msconfig from pressing Windows+R...
  4. Unable to connect to the internet in safe mode Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Connecting to a Samba Share

Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  6. Challenge connecting to a Samba share from a Windows 10 machine

Challenge connecting to a Samba share from a Windows 10 machine: Hi have a share on a Linux box Fedora 31: "\\192.168.1.51\Scanned" My HP printer can scan to this share and so I can confirm that I know it is working no authentication is required. From my Windows machine I can ping the Linux box 192.168.1.51. However I cannot browse to...
  7. Samba share doesn't work

Samba share doesn't work: Hi, I have Vbox with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS installed on it. My host is Win 10 (Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240). I've tried to get my samba share working for the whole day. I asked in #Windows, #ubuntu, #samba, #php, everywhere. I've googled and googled and googled.......
  8. Unable to See Samba Share

Unable to See Samba Share: Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short. I have a headless ubuntu server that has a samba server. It's connected to the network with a cable (not wifi) and has a static IP. My desktop (also wired with static IP) is unable to see the samba share at all: not when I go to the...
  9. Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7: Hello everyone, I'm having this very annoying issue with samba shares. The server is running on a CentOS 7 distro with samba-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64. My Windows 10 build is 10240. The shares are visible but when I try to connect it waits a while and then gives me this...
  10. Creating a samba share in windows 10

Creating a samba share in windows 10: I've been using unauthenticated samba share on my computer for well over a decade using windows 7, vista, and XP (and maybe even further back) to network with various devices in another room via an ethernet cable. I believe Microsoft removed unauthenticated samba shares from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to connect to samba shares windows 10