Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro - updates rebooting with no warning and losing data

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro - updates rebooting with no warning and losing data in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How, oh how, can I stop Win10pro rebooting. My PC is on 24/7, with several mounted virtual drives and several programs open. I sometimes come back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GottyEnders, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Pro - updates rebooting with no warning and losing data

How, oh how, can I stop Win10pro rebooting.

My PC is on 24/7, with several mounted virtual drives and several programs open. I sometimes come back to the PC to find it has rebooted (sometimes overnight, sometimes during the day) - the virtual drives have been dismounted, the programs have closed and a whole lot of data is lost.

I used to get popups warning me that the computer was going to reboot, but these no longer happen - and in any case, if I'm not at the computer to defer the reboot, what's the point.

I have Active Hours set, but these change day to day - so this doesn't help either

This is now getting desperate - having been notified that an update requires a reboot, I need at least 12 hours warning to be able to say when this will take place.

I should add that, in Advanced Options, I do have "show a reminder" set, and I have update paused - both settings are being ignored.

:)

GottyEnders, Dec 14, 2018
  2. Ubersonic Win User

Microsoft Decreasing Windows 10 Updates Downtime in Fall Creators Update

Businesses should really be using Windows 10 Pro not Home, that way they can disable either the automatic downloading of updates or the automatic rebooting (or both).

Ubersonic, Dec 14, 2018
  3. Download Windows 10 TH/RS

I am having a issue with this update,. I fallow the steps via windows update, DL the update, shows install. ask me to reboot pc. after reboot its start the update install pc reboot several times. On the last time, I get a message saying" Restoring windows to previous version". Then it takes me back to windows, and i get a message update could not be installed.
    In windows update-control panel it shows update waiting for reboot. i click on it and does same thing. after install it restore to previous version. what is going on?
    I have disable windows firewall for time being.
    specs
    Z97 Pro gamer MB 4790k @4.7 DDR3 2400 RAM Win10 x64 M.2 and SSD.

atanas dimitrov, Dec 14, 2018
  4. nkienitz Win User

Windows 10 Pro - updates rebooting with no warning and losing data

Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Pro ?

Just replaced motherboard on my old Dell D830 that I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro last August.

Went through steps on setting up new MOBO and it is up/working just fine.

I happened to run Belarc Advisor just to get a snapshot of data for the file. What is interesting is that Belarc indicates the O/S is Windows 8 Pro (build 9200).

I looked at another recent thread here at TenForums and also took some of the steps suggested and figured that maybe I needed to install or re-install Windows 10. I checked the Update/Security/Activation tab and it indicates that Windows 10 Pro is installed, activated with a digital entitlement.

So ... why does Belarc seem to see only Windows 8 Pro? Maybe because of the "maturity" of the D830? I know that Dell has disclaimers at their site that says the D830 has not been certified for Windows 10.

So, it is working, but the data from Belarc just has me scratching my head.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

nkienitz, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro - updates rebooting with no warning and losing data

1. Windows 10 Pro - updates rebooting with no warning and losing data - Similar Threads - Pro updates rebooting

2. Update Reboots without Warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Reboots without Warning: The Windows 10 operating system needs an internet connection to function at its best.This means that all updates are downloaded and installed at random times, as soon as they are made available; and the installation is followed by a reboot.This reboot could take place without...
  3. Update Reboots without Warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Reboots without Warning: The Windows 10 operating system needs an internet connection to function at its best.This means that all updates are downloaded and installed at random times, as soon as they are made available; and the installation is followed by a reboot.This reboot could take place without...
  4. Update Reboots without Warning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 reboot loses all programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 reboot loses all programs: This is a fairly long explanation of my issue. But I thought the more someone knew about this behavior may help determine the solution. Thanks for taking a look.My laptop running Windows 10 Home was in ‘sleep’ mode. I often do not shut down the laptop between uses....
  6. How to Update Windows 10 without losing Program data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Update Windows 10 without losing Program data?: I haven't updated my windows 10 in a loooong time and the performance is decreasing. I need to update to the latest version but the problem is, I CAN'T AFFORD to lose any of the program data in the C drive, Specially Google Chrome Cache data, and other installed programs....
  7. Install Windows 10 without losing data

Install Windows 10 without losing data: Hello there, on friday our customers laptop Asus, Windows 10 couldn't start properly. That was the error message. After a few restarts it booted into the uefi directly. But we can't wipe the device and do a fresh install, because there's data that need to be recovered. So...
  8. losing my data

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    losing my data: I had a account in my laptop but I signed out and the same account signed me in. After signing in a message pops up saying we couldn't sign in to your account and my data in that account has also vanished...
  9. Reset windows 10 without losing data

Reset windows 10 without losing data: Can i reset windows 10 without losing personal data and apps?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-windows-10-without-losing-data/9f42eba2-29d3-4dd1-8aea-d11ab71794ed
  10. Windows 10 loses customisations after reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 loses customisations after reboot: Hi fellow Win 10 users My wife and I both have exactly the same computer - HP Touchsmart 620 - upgraded from Win 7. Our preferences include hiding the Language/Keyboard icon by customising the Taskbar & Start Menu options, and also turning off the touch screen function which...