Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I've been running insider preview since build 98xx, after final build came I decided to to a clean install and get my "free" license so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by night, Aug 3, 2015.

1. night Win User

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key

Hey, I've been running insider preview since build 98xx, after final build came I decided to to a clean install and get my "free" license so I installed Windows 8.1 Pro with a valid license during initial setup I as prompted that I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free, this was after I had singed inn to my Microsoft account, I ran the said upgrade and installed Windows 10, but i noticed that it actiaved with the insider preview key (VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T), Where as showkeyplus shows both that key and my initial Windows 8.1 key.

How do I get a proper key for my installation of Windows 10?

:)

night, Aug 3, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

Problem of no price.

Because Home & Pro are different versions of the same OS. The only way you can upgrade from Home to Pro is either purchasing a key/license from MS or using a Windows 8/8.1 pro key.

Only MS know why they offered Win 7 & 8/8.1 users a free upgrade to Win 10. If you had Win 7/8/8.1 pro installed you received Win 10 pro.

I had a Win 8 pro key & used that to upgrade my Win 10 home.

Time Lady, Aug 3, 2015
  3. I have 3 windows 8.1 pro licences with me. one is installed other two not. How to upgrade the other two?

I have 3 windows 8.1 pro licenses out of which I currently use only one on my laptop. The other two licenses were used earlier to install windows 8.1 pro but currently they are not installed .

1. I want to upgrade the other two licenses also to windows 10 pro. Is it possible to get two upgrades free without installing the two licenses independently immediately?

2. Is it necessary to have 3 independent computers to install these three licenses keys first and then upgrade to windows 10?

3. Or can I make a windows 10 pro bootable pendrive from existing installation of 8.1 pro and then use that key along with windows 8.1 key to install windows 10 pro later anytime?

Why Microsoft does not swap my 3 windows 8.1 pro licenses for Windows 10 Pro keys (licenses) , straightaway instead to reduce the confusion?

thank you.

hemant datye

dalmanights, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key

Once again, this should be a "sticky" *Smile No keys are involved

"The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.
    That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsoft’s servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either."
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...s-10-activated

Torquemada, Aug 3, 2015
  5. night Win User
    Thank you for quick response and explanation, how does is this hash effected if i switch out my system SSD?

night, Aug 3, 2015
  6. From what other people have posted it would activate ok.

Torquemada, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Fahid Win User
    As you said this hash is based on hardware, if for example, I upgrade/ downgrade my RAM/ Processor or something as such, what happens then?

Fahid, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key

I should imagine it will be like all previous versions of Windows, there will be a threshold as far as hardware changes are allowed. When that is reached it won't reactivate and you'll get the dreaded "ring Microsoft" . All will become clear as people actually have to do this.

Torquemada, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Its my experience that upgrading RAM has no impact on the windows activation, however upgrading you CPU ( or even taking an 8 core and disabling 4 cores) can cause issues. I ran into this when overclocking my AMD 8120 8 core CPU (with only 4 cores active) after activating windows 8.1pro with all 8 cores running , I received a prompt that my hardware had changed and I would have to reactivate windows. Long story short I had to call MS and explain exactly what happened after which they provided me with a working key. Needless to say now I am running winX I have all 8 enabled in order to avoid this issue a 2nd time.

Hellishdream, Aug 3, 2015
  10. The consensus on this from other threads is that you -- don't. Win10 activation appears to be based on hardware hashes, not product keys. So, when you do the Upgrade, the hardware hash is generated and sent to MS. That's so, if you later do a clean install of Win10 on that same hardware, it will reactivate without problems -- because it already has the hardware hash. This also explains why so many folks have mentioned they all have the same Win10 product key.

Mark Phelps, Aug 3, 2015
  11. I can confirm that changing RAM does not affect activation. I have an old desktop whose RAM I have upgraded repeatedly over the years, and not once, have I had to deal with reactivation. I've even changed hard drives -- went from an HDD to an SDD, and then, to a newer, larger SDD, and although it was deactivated upon reboot, almost immediately, it automatically reactivated.

Mark Phelps, Aug 3, 2015
  12. tamo Win User
    I tried for 6 days to activate a clean install of windows 10 using my OEM key extracted from the bios + 4 long sessions to Microsoft answer desk but as things began to unfold and checking out various posts around the net it became clear that you MUST do an upgrade on an activated win 7 /8 /8.1 system . So biting the bullet I began the process of reinstalling 8.1 pro and activating then updating to win 10 pro which activated automatically as you describe , then I used the media creator tool to create the win 10 iso which I then used rufus to make a bootable uefi USB and performed a clean install of windows 10 ( I almost couldn't look at the activation area of system properties for fear that it hadn,t worked) but it was fine . I believe we were all misled a bit by Microsoft when we thought we could use our genuine windows 7/8/8.1 key to do a clean install but it cant be done as far as I can understand . Tip : don't know if it made any difference but on installing the clean install I skipped all the prompts to insert a product key and it still activated ..... pewwwww

13. NavyLCDR New Member

Microsoft never made any such claim or even close to it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 3, 2015
  14. Agree!! I was one of those hoping this would be allowed, but to date, there's been no indication from MS that they're going to allow this.

Mark Phelps, Aug 4, 2015
  15. tamo Win User
    Well maybe they could have made it clearer that one cant perform a clean installation of windows 10 using the embedded uefi/bios product key . I see post after post all over the place with people trying to do just that and failing .

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key - Similar Threads - Pro Upgrade Pro

2. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  3. Transfer Windows 10 retail licenses between machines upgraded Win 8 Pro & Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 retail licenses between machines upgraded Win 8 Pro & Win 10: I currently have two machines running with different editions of Windows 10.Machine 1 uses an upgraded Windows 8 Pro retail license, machine 2 a Windows 10 non-Pro retail license.As more and more hardware components of machine 1 are dying, I plan to replace it by a newer...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade - No License Key

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade - No License Key: Hello Helpers!I have a Windows 10 Home machine that needs to be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. My client bought the upgrade via the Microsoft Store. The upgrade did not install and showed an error saying the account was not an admin, however it is an admin on the machine. What's...
  5. Reactivating the license key for Win 10 Pro

Reactivating the license key for Win 10 Pro: Hi, changed my motherboard but not able to reactivate the license key as I got it from the Microsoft store and cannot see the keys. Called the tech support, get a case ID and get transfer around with no help......
  6. Win 10 Pro Upgrade License

Win 10 Pro Upgrade License: Hello Forum, What type of Win 10 license should I have if I purchased Win 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft Store online? I would presume I would have a retail license. Is that correct? The Win 10 Pro upgrade was installed on a new HP Laptop that came with Win 10 Home...
  7. Win 10 Pro: Retail vs upgrading from win 7 Pro license

Win 10 Pro: Retail vs upgrading from win 7 Pro license: I'll be installing win 10 Pro to a test machine in the next weeks. Is there a 'version difference' in buying the retail version as opposed to "trading in" a win 7 pro license? I guess my question really is, does buying the retail version translate to more control over Win 10...
  8. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...
  9. Aqcuire Win 10 Pro License Key

Aqcuire Win 10 Pro License Key: Hello, I want to buy a win 10 pro license key from this store: https://www.goodoffer24.com/windows-10-pro-professional-cd-key-32-64-bit.html and i need to know some info: 1. Is the key valid for an unlimited period of time? 2.Can it be used with an offline account?...
  10. Win 10 Pro 64-bit Free Upgrade License Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit Free Upgrade License Key: I'm going through the free upgrade process. I've downloaded Win 10 and burned the iso to a DVD. Is it possible to obtain a Win 10 license key after activation for subsequent clean installs of Win 10 as if wasn't an upgrade? Is there a way to just covert your Win 7...