Windows 10: Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem

Discus and support Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Guys, Im new to the Windows 10 world, I am working with a small company with very outdated software...and hardware for that matter. I am trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by megaman, Dec 27, 2016.

1. megaman Win User

Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem

Hi Guys,
    Im new to the Windows 10 world, I am working with a small company with very outdated software...and hardware for that matter.
    I am trying to upgrade a PC to a new Desktop running windows 10 pro, that was the easy part. All the other old systems are running Windows XP and are connected to a central computer running Windows 2003 server. The software we use wont run on windows 10 so I am using Hyper V on the Windows 10 PC to emulate XP to connect to the server and be able to use the software for the business.

I have a Hyper-V XP set up and have been able to add the network adaptor (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) through the virtual switch manager, but can not get it to show up.

Hyper V aside I can not see the network I am trying to connect to from the regular Win 10 drives and devices list either, I am assuming it is because Server 2003 can not see Win 10, but I have been fooled before.

So I am running out of ideas on how to solve this without re inventing the wheel, any suggestions would be great, hoping there is a simple solution that I have not banged my head against the wall lon enough to notice.
    Thanks in advance

:)

megaman, Dec 27, 2016
  2. KKR_65 Win User

Error: "You do not have the required permission to complete this task. Contact the administrator of the authorization policy for the computer 'My ComputerName" on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The platform (PC) is not part of a domain network or a server. It is connected to a cable modem ETH network.

History of platform : Win 7 Ultimate X64 => updated automatically to Win 10 Pro X64. Used using in win-7 the virtual machine for XP en Win98SE. VHD of win 7 can not be used bij Hyper V so I installed Hyper V and created a win 7 32 bit machine.

In Hyper V management console of the win 10 host, I can not create a virtual switch, although I 'm administrator of the platform.

KKR_65, Dec 27, 2016
  3. dstbal Win User
    Is Win XP Mode available in Windows 10?

Not being the sharpest tack on the block about all these changes going and disliking "APPs" and the mobile view world. Can I install windows 10, then using the Hyper-V mode install Windows XP Pro and all my outdated programs that only run in XP Pro and are
    not available rewritten to run in windows 8 or above?

I also have several DOS based programs that run in XP Pro are they going to work in this Hyper-V mode? The only alternative I see is to have another built with XP Pro on it as a stand alone machine with no internet connection.

Thank you for getting back to me, Andre!

dstbal, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Megaman, welcome to Ten Forums.

Windows XP guest in Hyper-V cannot use the normal virtual network adapter, it needs a so called legacy adapter instead. See Part Five: Create a legacy Windows virtual machine (Windows Vista or earlier) in this tutorial to fix your issue: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Remove the current NIC (instructions with screenshot in tutorial step 5.4), add a legacy NIC (step 5.5), connect legacy NIC to your external Realtek switch (step 5.6).

That's it, your Windows XP guest should now have network and Internet access.

5. megaman Win User
    Will give that a go
    thanks for the reply

megaman, Dec 27, 2016
  6. megaman Win User
    Thanks again,
    worked perfectly, great step by step guide got everything up and running

megaman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem - Similar Threads - pro using Hyper

2. Cannot connect to computer with Hyper-V through LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect to computer with Hyper-V through LAN: Usually I can connect to my PC from my phone over LAN. After enabling Hyper-V and using external switch, I cannot connect to my PC over LAN anymore. The IP of external switch is something like 192.168.0.15 using ipconfig command, but I cannot access it.I host my web service...
  3. XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity: Hi Folks, I am running Hyper V on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to run an XP virtual machine within Hyper V. All is running but the network has limited or no connectivity, so i cannot connect to my local network or map the drive to the server. I have the Network adapter...
  4. XP Virtual Machine Installed using Hyper-v win 10 Integration issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    XP Virtual Machine Installed using Hyper-v win 10 Integration issue: I installed XP VM using Hyper-v and vmguest 2012 r2. Integration part: The cursor moves from XP windows to Windows 10. From XP windows I can't see Windows 10 c:\ drive, ROM drives or USB data drive. I am struggling. Any Help is appreciated....
  5. Xp installed as Virtual Machine using Hyper-V on Windows 10. Integration problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Xp installed as Virtual Machine using Hyper-V on Windows 10. Integration problem: I Xp installed as Virtual Machine using Hyper-V on Windows 10. The internet is working now. I can't make Integration part working. Any tips are appreciated....
  6. Hyper-V is it for Win 10 Pro ONLY

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V is it for Win 10 Pro ONLY: I have a The Windows 10 is Home... desktop PC... Hyper-V is it for Win 10 Pro ONLY...? If Hyper-V can run too on Windows Home... I must disable it to run VMs in Virtual Box or VMware Player??? How to disable Hyper-V in Windows 10 Home...? I must enable Hyper-V if I want to...
  7. Password problem logging into Win 10 on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Password problem logging into Win 10 on Hyper-V: Yesterday I set up a virtual machine using Hyper-V on Win 8.1.1 and installed Win 10 10041. After installation, I went through the "connect" and "start" functions but it seemed to lock up with a white screen and "wait a moment" plus the rotating dotted circle. I left it...
  8. stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host

stalled install of hyper-v on win 10 pro host: Hi, I hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I am installing win 10 pro on my machine, which goes fine, then when i try to install hyper-v (add program and features) it seems to go well, reboots, tells me installing features, reboots again, then just...
  9. Connecting a HP usb printer to hyper-v xp client

Connecting a HP usb printer to hyper-v xp client: Hi guys, I am trying to connect a printer... and for the life of me can not get this to work, new to vm's and trying to get old tech to get along and play nice with some new tech at work. I have a win 10 pro running a hyper-v client of win XP SP3 and trying to connect a usb...
  10. Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.: I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on those, both on 98 and XP....
Tags: