Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro v 1909 and Synology Directory Server

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro v 1909 and Synology Directory Server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just bought a new Windows 10 Pro PC and did all of the updates to version 1909. I have an existing network with 3 PC's connected all Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CAJN, May 13, 2020.

1. CAJN Win User

Windows 10 Pro v 1909 and Synology Directory Server

I just bought a new Windows 10 Pro PC and did all of the updates to version 1909. I have an existing network with 3 PC's connected all Windows 10 Pro and all were upgraded from previous versions to version 1909. I am attempting to connect the new PC I bought to the Domain which is a Synology AD environment. I have set the adapter to the DNS server which is on the same server as Synology Directory Server 192.168.1.5. The forwarders on the DNS server point to Open DNS and Google respectively.

When I input the domain name to join the domain, I get:

Windows 10 Pro v 1909 and Synology Directory Server 6ff24eee-3d6d-478a-90a9-e793e294311b?upload=true.png

When I open a command prompt and ping the domain name, I get:

Windows 10 Pro v 1909 and Synology Directory Server c2cb4fa3-7c5b-4d21-b8d2-6cd1e02cb8bf?upload=true.png

I am unsure of what to try at this point. I know the Domain is active and working as I have joined 3 other PC's at an earlier time. It seems just this new PC won't connect.

:)

2. Windows 10, Synology samba server - random disconnecting

Hello,

Since update to Windows 10 my users have a lot of problems to work normally.

We have such topology:

• DFS namespace
      • link1 to synology share
        • shared dir 1
          • shared file 1.1.pdf
        • shared dir 2
          • shared dir2.1
            • shared file2.1.1
      • link2 to synology share
      • etc
    And since update to Windows 10, everyday after some time of work user (random time) has problem that file explorer 'taking' him up in folder view, for example user is in 'link1' -> go is trying to go to ' shared dir 2'. This is steps he follows:

• Going to 'My computer' -> everything ok
    • going to mapped drive with dfs namespace -> everything ok,
    • going to link1 -> everything is ok
    • going to shared dir 2 -> everything is ok
    • going to shared dir 2.1 -> for 2 seconds explorer is showing list of files and going again to 'shared dir 2',
    • users is trying again to go inside 'shared dir 2.1', now file list is present for 1 second and file explorer go up, 2 directories above!
    • next time user is trying to go inside he will be in DFS namespace.
    Other links to synology shares during this time is working normally.

User has to wait for about 10 minutes (maybe oplocks?) to get into folder.

Other directories in 'link1' during this 10 minutes are problematic too.

Let's say we have pdf file shared file1.1.pdf, we are going into folder and trying to open file, we have such statements:

• in Acrobat reader - file doesn't exist
    • in Windows 10 pdf browser - white page,
    • in foxit reader - Unknown error,
    • in Google Chrome - file opens normally!
    Do you have any idea what's going on and/or where to look for some answers?

• I cannot find any logs saying about lost connection or permission denied.
    • I've created Windows Firewall rules to disable firewall for domain
    • we have Eset firewall installed, but our LAN is in trusted zone and teoretically it is set to allow everything from that zone

PawełSzafer, May 13, 2020
  3. xosn Win User
    How To Map Synology DS918+ w/ 32TB

Check-out my Synology Community post I did some days back on this lousy issue together w/ a video I've done about mapping Synology NAS Shares on either Windows 10 20H1 / windows Server 2019 version 1809!
    How To Map Synology DS918+ w/ 32TB

General details of the issue are pasted below!

Mapping a DS918+ NAS to either Windows 10 20H1 / Windows Server 2019 1809.

Please note that the Synology DS918+ NAS does map to the following editions of Windows 10.

Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise version 20H1 & above

Outlook Personal Account Required-

Full & clean installation of Windows 10 20H1 (Build 19041.84) done on March 4th, 2020 using only an Outllok personal account & the Synology DS918+ NAS works fine w/ it! - Also on February 29th, 2020 - I succeeded w/ an upgrade from Windows 1909 to Windows version
    2004 (20H1) using a personal Outlook account & mapping does work as you can see w/ Windows 10 Insider Preview 19569.1000 (rs_prerelease) 20H1 w/ all fast updates applied, together w/ all my regular software!

Use the NAS login Device + Share & password!

NAS connected to network via a switch requires User + Password

Avoid any Microsoft Azure / Onmicrosoft & Contoso Accounts - until either you've or an IT professional has correctly configured the Synology DS918+ NAS for Microsoft Azure usage!

Avoid any any full & clean Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise/Enterprise LTSC 2019 installations w/ any Microsoft Azure logins - due to NAS volume share mapping failures w/ Windows 10 w/ the Synology DS918+ NAS until the NAS has been configured for MS Azure! - In other
    words if you sign in to Windows 10 either w/ an *.onmicrosoft / *.contoso account(s), even if an Azure account login is created afterwards - (I just tried this yesterday on March 4th, 2020) - as an add-on to a personal Windows 10 Outlook login account & the
    Synology DS918+ NAS volume share mapping fails!

Windows Server 2019.

If you need to sign in as a business account rather deploy Windows Server 2019 & above, or you could possibly use a domain account w/it too - as windows Server 2019 Standard/datacenter works well w/ the DS918+ NAS!

Synology Assistant

Anothder thing to avoid is not to install the "Synology Assistant" on "Windows 10 20H1" as it fails to discover the DS918+ NAS device! - You don't require the "Synology Assistant" for mapping any Synology NAS Shares on either "Windows 10 20H1" / "Windows Server
    2019"!

For mapping all Share volumes - use the NAS login Device + Share & password - w/

If upgrading from Windows 1909 to Windows version 2004 the Synology DS918+ NAS shares mapping will work as a result of completing the Windows 10 upgrade w/ all updates applied!

For best business results rather deploy Windows Server 2019 Essentials/Standard/Datacenter

⦁ Windows Server 2019 Essentials/Standard/Datacenter Version 1809 / Build 17763.1039 & above

For Synology DS918+ / as well as other Synology NAS devices-

Do use the "Synology Web Assistant" w/in either Windows 10 20H1 / Windows Server 2019 w/ either "Google Chrome / Mozilla
    Firefox" as these will discover your Synology NAS in around 15 seconds (w/in less than a minute)! - Avoid using either "Microsoft Edge / Internet Explorer 11" as both these fail to discover your Synology NAS!

NAS / System Image Backups & Restores

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:\\DS918\Images -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

Windows creates system images snapshot backups in different folders on non-system hard disks!

Example Share-

"\\DS918\Images\WindowsImageBackup\DESKTOP-XXXXXXXXXXX" where the 11 X's are last part of
    the name of your desktop machine!

Or use either an internal/external HDD option-

w/ any "D" through "G" hard disk options to use!

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:d: -include:c: -allCritical -quiet

Windows creates system images snapshot backups in different folders on non-system hard disks!

Example-

"D:\WindowsImageBackup\DESKTOP-XXXXXXXXXXX" where the 11 X's are last part of the name of your desktop machine!

Use an appropriate internal/external non "C" Drive -backupTarget drive option for system images!

You can view this also through x-osn Media @ https://x-osn.media/page-7.php

4. Ibroxbear Win User

Synology sign in

I have a new windows 10 HP laptop v1903. Clicking on this PC shows connected devices. My problem is that clicking on DS.213j opens the Synology hard drive without a password being needed. I usually open the Synology in my main PC by searching under
    "Internet" where it can be opened but requires a password. On my laptop the Synology is not listed under "Internet" only HP Laptop is listed.

Ibroxbear, May 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro v 1909 and Synology Directory Server - Similar Threads - Pro 1909 Synology

2. Unable to logon to Synology Directory Server with Windows 11 Insiders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to logon to Synology Directory Server with Windows 11 Insiders: After installation of the Windows 11 Insiders edition, I can't logon using my Synology Directory Server account anymore. I am using Windows Hello Pin to unlock, but I got a message that the password has been changed on a different device and that I need to logon using my...
  3. Unable to logon to Synology Directory Server with Windows 11 Insiders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to logon to Synology Directory Server with Windows 11 Insiders: After installation of the Windows 11 Insiders edition, I can't logon using my Synology Directory Server account anymore. I am using Windows Hello Pin to unlock, but I got a message that the password has been changed on a different device and that I need to logon using my...
  4. Joining Windows 10 to Synology Active Directory Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining Windows 10 to Synology Active Directory Domain: I'm trying to join a domain that resides on my Synology NAS. When trying to join the domain I'm getting the following message: [ATTACH] I've also tried joining the domain using the "Network ID" button and I get the following message: [ATTACH] I'm running Windows 10...
  5. Windows defender blocks synology server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows defender blocks synology server: I recently purchase a Synology NAS. I find that the Windows Defender in Windows 10 block synology server. As a result, I need to turn off Defender Firewall whenever I need to access NAS on the same network/ WIFI. Synology Assistant could not search/ find the NAS if I dont...
  6. windows 10 v 1903 & 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 v 1903 & 1909: trying to upgrade from v 1803 NEED WORKING DOWNLOAD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-v-1903-1909/13a46393-7ae0-4e00-b31b-f31da989761a
  7. No IPv6 inside WDAG, Sandbox and Hyper-V - Windows 10 Pro, v 1909

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    No IPv6 inside WDAG, Sandbox and Hyper-V - Windows 10 Pro, v 1909: Hi everyone! Thanks for reading this! I have tested my IPv6 connectivity on my Windows 10 Pro v1909 using Test your IPv6. and I have IPv6 available on my machine. It reports 10/10 tests ok. Nice! However, when I repeat the same test inside Windows Defender Application Guard...
  8. Updating Windows Pro v. 1809 to 1909

Updating Windows Pro v. 1809 to 1909: I get to about 90% and update process freezes. Get Error Code: 0X80070652. What does it mean and what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-windows-pro-v-1809-to-1909/61929c3a-ed4f-4f9c-b836-c9102a676729
  9. BSOD every time Hyper-v machines are on, Windows 10 Pro v.1909

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD every time Hyper-v machines are on, Windows 10 Pro v.1909: BSOD every time Hyper-v machines are turned on, Windows 10 Pro v.1909 crashes, can someone help, I cant find a reason for it and it started since previous windows version update and still persists in 1909. Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19528.1000 AMD64Copyright...
  10. Windows 10 v.1909

Windows 10 v.1909: Just downloaded v1909 to my desktop. Error message: Cannot start MS Outlook. Cannot open the outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The path specified for the file: c:\Users\George\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*** Email address is removed for privacy...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. synology directory server windows 10 upgrade