Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro & Windows 8.1 Pro Media Compatibility Issues - M-Disc BD-R DL & M-Disc BD-XL TL

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro & Windows 8.1 Pro Media Compatibility Issues - M-Disc BD-R DL & M-Disc BD-XL TL in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS-8700 desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro v10.0.19041 Build 19041, with all latest updates installed. I have two new internal SATA BD-RE... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Savian1, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Savian1 Win User

Windows 10 Pro & Windows 8.1 Pro Media Compatibility Issues - M-Disc BD-R DL & M-Disc BD-XL TL

I have a Dell XPS-8700 desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro v10.0.19041 Build 19041, with all latest updates installed. I have two new internal SATA BD-RE drives installed: LG WH16NS60 and Pioneer BDR-212ULBK. The LG WH16NS60 drive has M-Disc DVD R/W capability while the Pioneer BDR-212ULBK has all available types of M-Disc R/W capability, including M-Disc BD-R and BD-XL, DL & TL. If I insert into the Pioneer BDR-212ULBK drive either a blank Verbatim 50 GB M-Disc BD-R DL or a blank Verbatim 100 GB M-Disc BD-XL TL, Windows doesn't recognize this disc, i.e. clicking on the drive in File Explorer returns these messages: "Please insert a disc into BD-RE drive N:", followed by "N:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect. OK" Windows actually does recognize that a disc has been inserted into this drive because in File Explorer the drive icon changes to a disc after it spins up.

However if I acknowledge these messages then use Nero Burning ROM 2020 edition, this app can successfully write and read files to either a blank Verbatim 50 GB M-Disc BD-R DL or a blank Verbatim 100 GB M-Disc BD-XL TL. So it appears that Windows 10 Pro has compatibility issues with these types of M-discs. Also I have a new external Pioneer BDR-X12UBK USB drive that has all available types of M-Disc R/W capability and I have tested this drive with my Dell XPS-8700 desktop PC; and also with an older HP laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro with all latest updates installed. Inserting these same discs into the BDR-X12UBK USB drive while attached to the HP laptop displays the same error messages, so it appears that Windows 8.1 Pro has the same M-disc compatibility issues.

In addition I used the Dell SupportAssist diagnostic app to test all of these drives with various disc types including DVD, Blu-ray and DVD-RAM and they passed with no issues detected.

The bottom line question is: why can Nero Burning ROM write and read these types of Blu-ray M-discs while Windows cannot even recognize that these discs have been inserted into the drives?

:)

Savian1, Aug 4, 2020

2. Burning a bd-r disc

I tried to burn photos to a bd-r disc with window10 but it would not recognize the disc.I then tried to burn a br-d disc using BurnAwareFree software but that didn't recognize the disc either.Do I need an external blue ray burner to do this or is there
    another way?

BradfordDenette, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Burning a bd-r disc

So its more than software.By not recognizing the disc means the internal burner cannot burn bd-rs.Is there a burner you would recommend?

BradfordDenette, Aug 4, 2020
  4. JimWynne Win User

Windows 10 Pro & Windows 8.1 Pro Media Compatibility Issues - M-Disc BD-R DL & M-Disc BD-XL TL

Burning a bd-r disc

If the disc isn't recognized it could be (a) that it's not capable of reading/writing Blu-ray discs or (b) the drive is defective. This is not a place for specific hardware recommendations that have nothing to do with Microsoft products.

JimWynne, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro & Windows 8.1 Pro Media Compatibility Issues - M-Disc BD-R DL & M-Disc BD-XL TL - Similar Threads - Pro Pro Media

2. no content on DL discs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no content on DL discs: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD5 LV00 Hitachi DVD-Burner does not burn DL discs under Windows 11. It worked fine under Windows 10. The burn programm does its work in the usual way , but finally no content on the disk. Single layer discs no problem. No new drivers or firmware, working...
  3. no content on DL discs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no content on DL discs: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD5 LV00 Hitachi DVD-Burner does not burn DL discs under Windows 11. It worked fine under Windows 10. The burn programm does its work in the usual way , but finally no content on the disk. Single layer discs no problem. No new drivers or firmware, working...
  4. LG Blu-ray formatted M-DISC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LG Blu-ray formatted M-DISC: Hello,I went to use the LG bp50nb40 Blu-ray Disc write drive to load more pictures from my phone to an M-DISC using a new computer. The M-DISC already had many picture and movie files already on it. The laptop computer asked "Use disc like a USB flash drive or with a CD/DVD...
  5. LG Blu-ray formatted M-DISC

LG Blu-ray formatted M-DISC: Hello,I went to use the LG bp50nb40 Blu-ray Disc write drive to load more pictures from my phone to an M-DISC using a new computer. The M-DISC already had many picture and movie files already on it. The laptop computer asked "Use disc like a USB flash drive or with a CD/DVD...
  6. Blu Ray M Disc Copy Failure

Blu Ray M Disc Copy Failure: I have small mp4 files most under 20GB that I need to copy to 100GB mdisc. Even If I copy to 100GB misca 8GB I get a not enough space. "There is not enough space on BD-RE Drive. You need an additional 25.9 GB to copy these files.BD RE Drive space 90.2 GB"Using Windows 1064...
  7. Burning a bd-r disc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Burning a bd-r disc: I tried to burn photos to a bd-r disc with window10 but it would not recognize the disc.I then tried to burn a br-d disc using BurnAwareFree software but that didn't recognize the disc either.Do I need an external blue ray burner to do this or is there another way?...
  8. Optiarc BD RW BD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optiarc BD RW BD drive: Device manager says, ''This device is working properly.'' After a windows update the drive no longer recognizes any type of disc. The device driver is up to date. Any ideas on how to fix this?...
  9. Pioneer BD-RW BDR-TD04 can't use bluray discs

Pioneer BD-RW BDR-TD04 can't use bluray discs: My Pioneer BD-RW BDR-TD04 bluray writer/read can't read and write bluray discs (also can't detect it, it's spins up a bit than down) including thoose which was written by itself. I can't find driver on the Pioneer's page. And somewhy the windows detects it as DVD/CD-ROM type....
  10. LG BD-R Not Burning

LG BD-R Not Burning: Up until the upgrade to Windows 10 my LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L burned BD-R and DVD-R fine. Now under 10 every time I try to burn a DVD I get an error message that the disc can't be written to. I'm using the same brand I was back on 8.1 with no problems, but now errors....